Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2003, 12:27 PM   #81
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs down

Gus and all,

I am totally floored that a coach, costing upwards of $60,000 could be delivered to a customer with even half the issues you have seen. A few of the issues are so obvious that a person with their eyes open and an IQ of 1 on the so-called final QC should have caught (I know a few of the issues like the fridge are out of Airstream's control).

Normally, reading a post like this, one would just dismiss it as a fluke. However, you aren't alone and there has been a definite trend here on units built as recent as 9/03.

This is the kind of post that is inexcusable. Hand made or not, there is no excuse whatsoever that one could provide. That fact that your new $60k coach spends more time at the dealer than with you is an absolute shame. Your loss of use and time going round and round with the dealer is worth something.

I am hoping that the worst is behind you and Airstream. I'll be posting my info in December. Now that I do know what to look for (based on my '03s shortcomings and this forum), should the unit I've ordered turn out near how yours did, I will be refusing the order.

I truly believe that it won't come to that since I am optimistic that Airstream is working on the improvements, but optimism is not another word for foolish, so I'll keep you all posted. If I wanted problems, I'd have bought a Fleetwood product or some other box. You just don't expect this kind of thing coming from the Rolls Royce of RVs. Lot's of things are hand made that have better overall interior quality.....

I really hope that Airstream is really listening to the forums here, on their site and to their customers who call. Standing behind the product is only half the battle IMHO. These are real issues. Real issues that have been going on now for well over a year from what I can tell (since the bulk of the folks having the problems appeared to start around late 2002).

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:28 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Jamie, don't leave! I may be desparate in a few weeks. I hope we can get the web manager to set up a 16CCD forum, then just go there to discuss issues. Everything is coming together in my mind, and I'm sure it will all come apart after having the TT a while. Do I install a tv? Do I upgrade the battery? Do I need to modify the shower? Where to store the dump hose and equipment? Can I stop my wife from buying crap for the trailer before we even have it? Where are we taking them? Exchanging photos. Whats with this fanastic fan? (I picture some kind of robotic vent with tendency to go bizerk). If a tarp screws up the clearcoat, will sticky leaves have this thing looking like a Cabella's duck blind by spring? What if QC issues are not fixed and I discover a skill saw was left under the vinyl? There are not enough 16ers to lose anyone.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:32 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

Hi Jamie:
Good to read that you're getting new cushions. Is AS replacing all of them or only the green ones? The dark ones probably aren't any nicer. Our black ones made a greasy, black, dusty line on the white laminate table when we put the dinette down. It looks like graphite. (Also glad to hear about a manual).

Hi Frozen:
No, you cannot stop your wife from buying crap for the trailer... it's a nesting thing. She won't buy anything big until she gets to acutally measure stuff anyway, not enough room. ('')

Kimili is right, there's a big, fast learning curve when you pick up the trailer. For example: one of the things that bothered me after taking deliver of our AS was not looking under the nice Airstream floor mat that our dealer had placed in the entry. Under it I found it covered scratches in the linoleum. We did find a patched spot elsewhere and made note of it to the dealer. I wish we had taken a video camera with us. You find the QC problems over time.

Cheers! Linda
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:58 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

If I have learned one thing from this thread, it is to stay the night at the RV dealer's facility for 1 to 2 nights after my coach comes in.

I think it's also smart to try and find a friend who is familiar with Airstreams and have them help you inspect the new unit thoroughly.

I appreciate all of your tips and will plan on using every item and accessory in the coach before I am satisfied that all is well.

Thanks again for all your postings.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
If I have learned one thing from this thread, it is to stay the night at the RV dealer's facility for 1 to 2 nights after my coach comes in.
Joshua,
I wouldn't do that.
You need to TOW the unit, drive on regular not perfect roads, make a few turns and brakes so that everything can shake, rattle (and hum) inside. Then you'll know just how well everything was screwed, built etc...

Find a park near the dealer so you can pick up on Friday and IF needed bring back for repairs Monday morning!
A video camera is a great idea!
Old 10-13-2003, 02:15 PM   #86
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I suspect ...

that some of the cuts in the flooring are the result of the floor laid first and the furniture (walls, etc) brought in later.

All furniture is built outside the unit and brought in through the door. Some parts are quite large and awkward to handle. It doesn't take much of a scrape by a sharp corner to cut the flooring. I notice that many cuts are at/near the doorway.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:21 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

Kimili,

I think you make an excellent point. I think I will spend 1 night at the dealer and then do some various driving as you suggest and stay within the vicinity over the weekend.

Thanks again for the tip.

Josh
Old 10-13-2003, 02:36 PM   #88
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Staying at an RV park near the dealer is exactly our plan.

Hopefully we will pick up the new AS in mid-January. There are 2 RV parks near the dealership. Petunia and I plan on taking a video camera for the walk through and our own inspection.

I am concerned about the QC issues ... but not worried. If the trailer does not pass our initial inspection it will stay with the dealer until things are right. I'm sure something will pop up after we take delivery .. but hopefully they will be small items.

I wish January would get here!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:46 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Ok Here are my Two Additional Items thus far on my Safari:

1. Did not get the remote for the Sony XM/FM/CD Stereo (It says right on the Unit "Sony <MOdel> With Remote> Luckily the remote for my sony in my Jeep does work with it.

2. I appear to be missing the cover for the three burner stove. You know the one that flips over the metal grills so you can use it as counter space. Was this an option? Every AS I have seen has one...
Old 10-13-2003, 10:40 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

I've seen a cutting board over the sink in many pictures. Ours didn't come with one. Has anybody received one with their unit?
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:42 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
On my dual sink I have two plastic cutter / sink covers.... Way better than the ones I had on my 79...
Old 10-14-2003, 03:32 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

Porky,

Where are you purchasing your unit from?

Josh
Old 10-14-2003, 11:20 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
I appear to be missing the cover for the three burner stove.
We didn't get one but I don't see it on the list. Nor do we have covers for the sink and I was not able to find one.

Anyone has pics of these two items?
...anyone got them with their 25'CCD??

Jodynjeep,
at first we thought we were missing the remote too. Then we found it in the big AS binder that the dealer gave us, stuck with tape to the Sony warranty, mixed in with all the other warranties in the binder. Maybe yours hiding in there too...

thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 03:07 PM   #94
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by joshua32064
Porky,

Where are you purchasing your unit from?

Josh
Toscanos in Los Banos, CA.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:21 PM   #95
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
To the top.....

TTT.

Old 10-16-2003, 12:04 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Question

Hi Eric,
Is that Clint Eastwood in your avatar?
Old 10-16-2003, 02:35 PM   #97
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It is....I was feeling a bit frisky after the Cubbies lost.....so Clint's in for a while.

Eric
Old 10-16-2003, 09:59 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
for a second I thought it might be you...then I looked again!!!

are you married to the candid camera chick?

...just keeping it on top
Old 10-18-2003, 07:49 AM   #99
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Question

Anyone pick up a unit with a 10/03 build date?

Eric
Old 10-18-2003, 06:22 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Dealer support

One of the things we have learned from our many QC issues is dealer support. Chuck, Pete, and Paul at Airstream of San Antonio have been excellent in providing remediation. I'm sure they would rather concentrate on sales.

We view talking to the dealer as talking to the Airstream company. I understand that ASofSA has communicated our many issues to the manufacturer.

Guess this level of dealer support is another reason why we are happy with our 30' classic.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote