Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Hello my name is Brett, and I have aluminumitis….

My version of the 12 step program for all of us Alumin-a-holics

1. We admit we were powerless over our addiction - that our lives had become unmanageable due to lack of space to store the assorted parts of our project Airstreams.

2. We must come to believe that a Power greater than ourselves causes us to attempt restorations that would strain anyone’s sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will, bank accounts and our lives over to the care of our trailer as we now understood why we have to have that original vent lifter off EBay.

4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of our parts and pieces, and found ourselves lacking - Where is that section of rub rail? Arrgh

5. Admitted to Wally, to ourselves and to other human beings the exact nature of our addiction. - Mirror shine is not good enough, one more pass and it will be perfect.

6. Were entirely ready to have Cyclo remove all defects of the skin, no matter if the wife gets mad at what happens to the washing machine afterwards.

7. Humbly asked family, friends and visitors to overlook our shortcomings where we could not get it done before the rally. – Don’t use the toilet, OK?

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, ignored, bored with endless chatter about minutia, and roped into helping us do the work, and became willing to make amends to them all – No the vent is not correct for a 63, it is supposed to be fiberglass….

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. - Three beers is enough Tom, it was just dropping a black tank.

10. Continued to take inventory and when we were overstocked promptly admitted it and found worthy homes for the excess.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation with the Cyclo to improve our conscious contact with the sprit of Aluminum as we understood it, praying only for knowledge of the best polishing method, and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs, everyone needs a project, right?

These steps are not a way to cure our addiction, more like a management program of sorts…..

See I just bought another one, I have to go rescue it in a week or two. It is sitting where it has sat for 15 years and needs work. But it is a rare one. From my research it is a ’48 Trailwind, wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015rs2.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	24493  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Wow!! that one is cool. Glad its getting rescued and in good hands. How's the axle and frame? Looks like its sitting kind of low even if the tires are flat. What are your plans for it, 12 Step Brett?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi Brett...

That is SO COOL!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
I did not get a good look at the axle, but since it is a pipe frame it is going to need to be a full monty....

So really what I bought was a good shell with windows that still has the aluminum kitchen intact...

I am contemplating a real restoration since it was a model that was made for only 2 years. The furnishings were simple and the total weight will be under 2500 LBS if I do it right.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Nice!

Very cool Brett...and I thought you had been healed!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
I was in remission once, it did not stick
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-09-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
I was in remission once, it did not stick
I always tell them that I "was" on the wagon until it made a sharp U-turn and I fell off....again

BTW nice looking unit and don't forget the pictures!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:10 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
brett

are you thinking it will be light enough to tow behind the argosy?

way cool!

john
Old 08-09-2006, 05:41 AM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
brett

are you thinking it will be light enough to tow behind the argosy?

way cool!

john
My Argosy is an aberration when it comes to the classic MH Chassis. My Manuals all concur that I can tow 4K behind my MH. Most can only tow 2K.

This would be light enough either way if I don't go bulking it up with AC units and big refers, etc. Dry weight was 1450 LBS when delivered.

I don't know of any other classic chassis MH that has this as a factory documented tow rating.

In the picture below you can see the really cool indoor/outdoor bedroom feature that is unique to this coach..... Actually I am wondering if this is where the Basecamp idea came from....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0029r2.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	24494  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-09-2006, 06:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Actually!!!

Brett,

I've been researching this. It is not the Aluminum... it's Bauxite, or Bauxitis!

Bauxite is an aluminium ore which consists largely of the Al minerals gibbsite Al(OH)3, boehmite and diaspore AlOOH, together with the iron oxides goethite and hematite, the clay mineral kaolinite and small amounts of anatase TiO2. It was named after the village Les Baux-de-Provence in southern France, where it was first discovered in 1821.

Approx. 95 % of the world bauxite production is processed into aluminium.

So, I think you classify for the disease. Men are more prone to Bauxitis than is a woman, but they too can contract it.

There is no known cure!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Brett:

Congratulations on your new Trailwind! Although her foundation needs a little help (that's a wonderful drop frame feature in the back...), she has beautiful skin and alluring promise. When you get the chance, I'd love to see a photo of the galley and learn her serial number.

Years ago, Bud Cooper put a very stout 6" deep channel custom built ladder frame under his 22' Liner shell and installed a comfortable modern trailer inside. His frame had extensions around the rear end to which he mounted a semi-circular curved bumper to protect the trailer's hind quarters. Information and a few photos of his Liner appear in back issues of The Vintage Advantage.

Again, congratulations on your new vintage Airstream!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:31 AM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Brett:

Congratulations on your new Trailwind! Although her foundation needs a little help (that's a wonderful drop frame feature in the back...), she has beautiful skin and alluring promise. When you get the chance, I'd love to see a photo of the galley and learn her serial number.
Fred,

I was excited to see she had her kitchen cabinet. It needs work, but it is all there including all the inside cabinet door latches.

As for the serial number that is going to take some detective work. The plate is missing. I do have a lead though, I have the last license plate that was on the trailer form 1974. I plan to go to the DMV and see if I can convince them to do a reverse look up for me and get the number. Then I can do a reproduction plate.

I have also burned a CD with all the pictures and am shipping it to Rich so you can look at the 45 high res photos at the VAC rally, and let me know if I bough more than just a basket case
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0038r2.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	24498  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-09-2006, 07:43 AM   #13
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i think airstreams are like mushrooms after a good rain...

it's funny too that the majority of the "support group" here all has more than one trailer listed by their name! the more th emerrier, i say! when the wife gets fed up with ya and kicks you out of the house, you'll have plenty of places to stay!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
1948 Airstream

I'm jealous; what a find!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
You're one sick puppy. Just keep it away from orange barrels!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Brett:

I can't wait to see the all the photos you are sending to Rich; I'll be parked over his shoulder.

Excellent galley! The Monel stainless steel top should brighten up nicely and that aluminum base should polish out real well. The low aluminum base to the right of the galley looks like its for the arm of the three piece front divan. Here's a 1948 Trailwind floor plan; I bet yours was close to this originally:

Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 08-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
I guess the front Divan was REALLY narrow from a seating standpoint then. There cant be more than 18 inches between the floor frames that are in the picture of the kitchen, Unless the whole thing sat up on these bases. The one by the sink base comes out 6 or 7 inches past the face frame of the sink base. Do you know if there is a missing cross member where the floor is missing? It would seem like there should be one, but I did not see any evidence of one.

I plan on towing it home on a flatbed, it needs a new frame for sure. So It will be protected from barrels. And just as an FYI the MH has a zip dee main awning now and it DOES clear the barrels......

Also luck has nothing to do with it, stubborness is what it took. That and ceaseless searching. So yeah, I AM sick.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
I guess the front Divan was REALLY narrow from a seating standpoint then. There cant be more than 18 inches between the floor frames that are in the picture of the kitchen, Unless the whole thing sat up on these bases. The one by the sink base comes out 6 or 7 inches past the face frame of the sink base. Do you know if there is a missing cross member where the floor is missing? It would seem like there should be one, but I did not see any evidence of one.
Ah, I didn't notice how far out that "L" base came, thanks for pointing that out. I now think there may have been a semi circular bed across the entire front, the same as across the back end in the floor plan but perhaps a foot less deep (front window to front edge) than at the rear. And the 18" wide open space between the front bases may have contained a slide out aluminum drawer that rests on the floor, as seen at the rear in the floor plan, hence no cross member needed there. That's the set up in my '48 Wee Wind. The front semi circular bed is 3' deep while the rear one is 4' deep, but only the rear bed has a drawer underneath it. The bed is a framed box spring that easily supports itself across the 18" wide drawer space.

A second possibility is there was a dinette up front. Is there any evidence a table was mounted just underneath the front window? That would be a very practical floor plan.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 08-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #19
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
I think it may have been a dinette....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0039r2.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	24499  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
awesome Brett, terrific find.. takes nerve and guts to tackle but it will be great when done.
Oh did I foget also--- bucks.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote