Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
Al,
Not sure I'm understanding your question. My simplistic read of the reply. At step 1, you have backed the TV into the hitch and applied the over center latches. At this point, the WD jacks have not been tensioned and tongue jack is down. At step 2, you simply raise the tongue jack - still not applying any tension on the WD jack. At step three, lower the tongue jack to remove the load from your TV, apply normal tension to the WD bars, re-raise the tongue jack - ready for travel.
Are you reading the response differently?
I spent over 30 years working in IT. I eventually learned to take user specifications on what they want at face value, not what I "thought" they meant... There were still discrepancies, but not as large.

Interesting that they state "most products can't do adjustments fine enough to get closer to the green bars than your setup is right now". I expect Propride and Hensley hitches CAN get closer to the "ideal" setting.
Your interpretation seems to be the same as mine. My problem is that step 2 says to "engage WD". To me that means run the jacks up to apply WD, which is not what I think they meant.

I spent 43 years in the electronics industry interpreting and writing specifications. A good specification is clear and unambiguous.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And a really good specification is as hard to find as hen’s teeth, and seems to never survive first contact with the customer.

One of the funniest classes we ever held was an attempt to teach a bunch of IBM engineers how to write a simple declarative sentence in a specification. Oh, the horrors!

Buddy of mine had a sign in his office, “walking on water and building something to specification are similar, both are easy if they are frozen.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Hey now... I am an IBM engineer.... [emoji851]
Old 03-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Casa Grande , Arizona
I was able to adjust the WD so all three were in the green zone. Interestingly the ProPride WD jack heights matched the ProPride WD setup I did in Dec 2016 using the ruler method.
ProPride 3P
WBCCI Region 11 President - Life Members #222, AIR #118556, KJ6DKF
Sparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparr View Post
I was able to adjust the WD so all three were in the green zone. Interestingly the ProPride WD jack heights matched the ProPride WD setup I did in Dec 2016 using the ruler method.
Exactly...It's not Rocket Seance. 👍
For us it's the log book and marks Jacks. KISS

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1d2a.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	336602  
Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Casa Grande , Arizona
Bob - I agree, but to me the additional functions i.e., payload weight, tongue weight and combined vehicle weight convinced me that this is a still a valuable tool.
ProPride 3P
WBCCI Region 11 President - Life Members #222, AIR #118556, KJ6DKF
Sparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
HaulGauge Bluetooth OBD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Hey now... I am an IBM engineer.... [emoji851]

These were a bunch of engineers at the now defunct Federal Systems Division in upstate New York forever ago.

In general, a lot of engineers are real good at engineering, but they don’t seem to get much training in clear writing. I got lucky in my career, as I was forced to get very good at writing proposals and very clear specifications as an essential part of my duties. I’m still, far past retirement now, working with computer security stuff that involves a lot of clear process and procedure writing.

Not knocking engineers in general, because I are one, but the folks at IBM FSD needed a lot of help writing specifications for our mutual customer. The class was an attempt to assure success of the project. We were a four person IV&V team up against 400 of IBM’s finest. We had no problem getting them to finally do it right, and I have video tape proving the success of the project. Even their management stood us up in front of all their people and acknowledged that we were the ones that made it happen.

Fun project, but too much constant traveling from California to upstate New York to get it done.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparr View Post
Bob - I agree, but to me the additional functions i.e., payload weight, tongue weight and combined vehicle weight convinced me that this is a still a valuable tool.

How accurate is the TW function for your setup?