Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2003, 01:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
front couch comfort

we're considering a safari 25' and wanted to know if anyone has any first hand experience sleeping on the front couch. Is it comfortable enough that guests could get a decent nights sleep. Big enough etc.

your replys would be very much appreciated.

thank you,

Bob Caldwell
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 01:39 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Bob,
we slept on teh front pullout in our tradewind on hot nights, because it's cooler up there. It seems to me there is more room up front than in our rear pullout.
We have a 25ft. tradewind. Might be different in a new trailer.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
It is comfortable enough for the avergage person. I have never pulled mine out - but just slept on it in couch mode and it was fairly comfortable - enough room for someone 5'11 to stretch out on.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

My brother and his wife spent one night on my couch and said it was okay. They are relatively small peolple. The couch is long but quite narrow.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Had 25 Safari 6 sleeper and son and later 2guests complained about the hole? that is between the seat and rear cushion when folded. Upgraded to classic with the leather look couch and it has a flap of material spanning this gap , have had 2 different guest couples and no complaints. If leather look couch is option in safari I would definetly se if it has this flap. Overall I am way happier with the leather look than the standard cloth
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
We're ok with ours

Have a 1967 Tradewind with two beds on either side of the hall and the front guacho is where my wife and I sleep. Theres a big thick cushion that fills the gap between the couch backrest and goes under the little ledge under the window. This then lays down flat when the bed is pulled out. We noticed that when the bed is pulled out there was no a piece of plywood that covered the part of the bed closest to the front window so I cut another piece that I slide over the slideout rails when the bed is extended. When the bed is pushed back in this plywood rides on top of the other piece that is permanently attached. It only raised the cushion height by 1/4". It is still an adjustment going from our king size bed at home to this bed and the dog is the first to get kicked out. Sometimes I'm second.
Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

We have a Safari 28 W with a L-sofa front couch (80"). I believe the length is longer than the sofa option (74") when converted into a bed. A pillow-top (even the cheap foam types) will make any configuration of sofa (and bed) into a more comfortable experience, but the L-sofa gives you several more inches. The sofa though is probably more comfortable to sit on than the firm foam cushions of the L-sofa. Depends on what you prefer more. A more comfortable sofa or a more comfortable bed.

Abe
Old 11-04-2003, 11:15 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Six Sleeper Sleeping . . .

Our oldest daughter uses the couch as her bed and she finds it very comfortable. We use an open sleeping bag under the sheets as a pad to soften it up a bit. I've napped there and it is plenty long enough for one adult (I'm 6').

Our younger daughter uses the dinette bed and is quite happy with that space. It is also long enough for a 6-footer. The seat and backrest pads are pretty firm, so we soften this one up with a thick sleeping bag used as mattress pad, too.

My wife and I struggled for a bit with making our bed comfortable. We started with one of those mattress toppers, then added an inch layer of that small egg-crate-style foam from Macy's under that. Eventually we went to a foam store and bought a 4" layer of that special foam that adapts to your body shape, which we put under the other stuff. ALL OF THIS is sitting on top of the factory mattress and we are now very comfortable in our bed. Some long-sided fitted sheets control all of the various layers. It is real soft but also surprisingly supportive.

Mike
mcostanzo is offline   Reply With Quote