Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2018, 05:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Cary , North Carolina
Dehumidifier recommendations

When camping in cooler months, months when no AC is needed. Our TT gets very wet on the inside. Particularly after sleeping all night. Windows are wet, some cool walls are wet. I ran a on our past trip, I ran a household size dehumidifier with very good results. It’s just too large and heavy to use in a ongoing basis. Was wondering if any of you have had experience using a dehumidifier and could recommend one that was a smaller one but would still remove enough moisture?

Again, I have looked at Amazon. Am looking for real world experience.

Thanks.
2008AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Desiccant Dehumidifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008AS View Post
When camping in cooler months, months when no AC is needed. Our TT gets very wet on the inside. Particularly after sleeping all night. Windows are wet, some cool walls are wet. I ran a on our past trip, I ran a household size dehumidifier with very good results. It’s just too large and heavy to use in a ongoing basis. Was wondering if any of you have had experience using a dehumidifier and could recommend one that was a smaller one but would still remove enough moisture?

Again, I have looked at Amazon. Am looking for real world experience.

Thanks.
We use the EcoSeb Classic Desiccant Dehumidifier. It is relatively quiet and removes lots of moisture from the air. It has several modes of operation to tailor it to your needs. Another advantage over a compressor type is that it works at lower temperatures without icing up. I empty the unit when it fills up, but it can be rigged to drain into a sink or the shower.
Click image for larger version

Name:	EcoSeb DD122EA Classic.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	330403
Old 12-30-2018, 05:41 AM   #3
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
We use the EcoSeb Classic Desiccant Dehumidifier. It is relatively quiet and removes lots of moisture from the air. It has several modes of operation to tailor it to your needs. Another advantage over a compressor type is that it works at lower temperatures without icing up. I empty the unit when it fills up, but it can be rigged to drain into a sink or the shower.
Thanks for this. Until I checked out the EcoSeb Classic I didn't really know about desiccant dehumidifiers or understand the differences between desiccant and compressor dehumidifiers. As you suggest, I think most Airstreamers have a worse humidity problem at cooler temperatures, where a desiccant unit has advantages over a compressor unit.

Here is a nice description of the features of desiccant technology. This site happens to also recommend the EcoSeb DD122EA-CLASSIC. Here is a review where they compare this model against some other units.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am not a fan of desiccant units. They don't remove enough humidity for me. This is the unit I have now. Nice and compact and extraordinarily quiet. I do wish the reservoir was a bit larger, but his is the perfect size for TT living.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Hi, we tried a few sizes of the desiccant type and weren’t happy. So, like dzn, we got the Eurgeen 20 pint from Amazon. It’s relatively quiet, weighs about 20 lbs, and works very well in our 22’ Sport. We got ours last year and is currently unavailable on Amazon, but looks the same as the link dzn put up, but ours isn’t gold. Specs look the same. Note, like all compressor type dehumidifiers, it does put out a little bit of heat. But it’s so nice to be in dry air vs humid air. The Airstream a/c cools we’ll, but doesn’t pull as much moisture out of the air as I’d like. The dehumidifier can either drain into its bucket, or use its hose into the shower drain. We’ve been very pleased. Here’s a link to the currently unavailable version. Looks like the same specs.
Rich

Eurgeen 20 pint Energy Star Compressor Dehumidifier with Water Tank 10-20 Square Meters for Home Kitchen Bathroom Basements Garage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GL78WLO..._ocAkCb002MG6D
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:15 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
... we tried a few sizes of the desiccant type and weren’t happy. So, like dzn, we got the Eurgeen ...
Not to criticize your choice, but all desiccant dehumidifiers are not the same. Each type has its advantages. Click here to read a good article on the differences. Our EcoSeb Classic Desiccant Dehumidifier can quickly and quietly reduce the RH inside our Airstream fro 60+% to 38%.

We also use small in rechargeable desiccant mini dehumidifiers in our hanging closets and clothing storage locations.

Name:   Eva-dry.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  14.4 KB
Old 12-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
The OP is looking for a dehumidifier in cooler weather, as am I. In my case, we like to use our Airstream in winter months, in which our inside temperatures may range between 40-65 °F.

For those of you who use a compressor dehumidifier, what is your typical inside temperature? Have you had any problems with coil frost build-up or dehumidifier faults due to very cool inside temperatures?
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Cary , North Carolina
Camped 7 days with lows in the 40’s and highs in the 60’s. Heat ran mostly at night, very little ac. Ran dehumidifier all night and during the day as needed. 30 pint, refrigerated coil. Except for he larger size it worked great. Humidity showed around 45. No condensate on glass or walls. Wet towels dried quickly. Hand towels dried quickly. We had days with rain, no issues with moisture. I will definitely be getting one before our next trip.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
One thing I've learned after purchasing a few compressor type dehumidifiers is that some of them will not turn back on automatically if there is a momentary power outage. Make sure to get one that turns itself on after a power outage.

I use a 30 pint Danby in my trailer. Though it is larger than is necessary, it does a great job!
Old 12-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
a city in west GA , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I am not a fan of desiccant units. They don't remove enough humidity for me. This is the unit I have now. Nice and compact and extraordinarily quiet. I do wish the reservoir was a bit larger, but his is the perfect size for TT living.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have this one also worked wonderful two months then stopped Sat.am compressor . Wrote company they wrote me back Sat.night Sunday am we finalized dealings they mailed a replacement Monday am. Great customer service. It is very quiet. Dehumidifier worked great. Will recommend . I think I had a bad lemon in the bunch. We will see.
Joyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Fort Worth , Texas
I wanted to share our experience. We live in Texas, and have had our AS now for just under 2 years. We travel a lot, and especially in the more humid and rainy areas. Anyway, the humidity inside with 2 adults, a teenager, and a dog breathing....can get quite moist. Especially after showers! Anyway.....on our Trip through Arkansas, we purchased a Frigidaire 30-Pint Dehumidifier with Effortless Humidity Control, White, and LOVE it. It has made a world of difference in the trailer. It has 3 speeds, auto, and you can set the level of humidity you wish to maintain. It works so well, we were getting nose bleeds! It also suffices for a white noise maker at night. We have the International 27FB W/ Twins. We keep it right there at the foot of the twin by the shower, and plug it in by the TV. It stows for travel between the bathroom bulkhead and bed on the other side. Game changer, especially with towels, and laundry we hang to dry in the trailer. I wouldn't go any smaller or larger.
2018 International Signature 27FB Twin
** PP3 1400# Hitch[/FONT]
Catfish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Bradenton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008AS View Post
Camped 7 days with lows in the 40’s and highs in the 60’s. Heat ran mostly at night, very little ac. Ran dehumidifier all night and during the day as needed. 30 pint, refrigerated coil. Except for he larger size it worked great. Humidity showed around 45. No condensate on glass or walls. Wet towels dried quickly. Hand towels dried quickly. We had days with rain, no issues with moisture. I will definitely be getting one before our next trip.
Can you tell me the brand and model of your dehumidifier? It sounds like yours worked well in cold conditions, which is just what we needed last Fall! Some I have looked at stated they did not work below 50 degrees. Thanks in advance! Patty
PattyBall54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Fort Worth , Texas
Patty. In response to your question we bought a Fridgedaire 30 pint dehumidifier. It is just about the size of 20-22” carry on suitcase. We have the 27’ FB International with twins. It stores nice and “snug” at the foot of the bed on the bathroom side. We normally plug it in where the TV plugs in on the shower side and it just sits there at the foot of the other twin on the shower side. You can also plug it in under the the dinette. We LOVE it. Just make sure to orientate it so the intake or filter is “inboard”, so you get good airflow through 😎👍🏻
Catfish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyBall54 View Post
Can you tell me the brand and model of your dehumidifier? It sounds like yours worked well in cold conditions, which is just what we needed last Fall! Some I have looked at stated they did not work below 50 degrees. Thanks in advance! Patty

Hi

Since using this refrigerated coil unit, we bought a replacement. This larger one was a temporary solution to see if a dehumidifier would work for us. This one was way over kill and probably designed for a 2-3 thousand sq foot house.

We bought a 13 pint desiccant dehumidifier and have used it on 5 winterish trips.

Even though it cost more than some of the others, we really like it and here’s why.

1-The size is perfect for out 23’ TT. It keeps the humidity very low, and isn’t unnecessarily large. Anything below 50% starts to feel dry for us and this unit will maintain that overnight on low without cycling in and off. There is no moisture on windows or walls on cold mornings.

2- It generates a small amount of heat. In our 23 footer. This is all the heat we need on a 50 degree night to maintain a comfortable inside temperature.

During the summer this heat would be a nuisance since it would be working against your ac. However in the summer, you don’t need the dehumidifier with your ac running.

3-It’s very quiet. But does make a fan sound. Acts as a white noise machine. Makes sleeping better for us.

4-Hang a bath towel above the exhaust and it’ll amaze you how fast it will dry.

We couldn’t be happier with the machine. Based on its performance in our 23, I believe it would be perfect in anything up to a 27’ TT. Beyond that I’m not sure it would be large enough.

Below is what we wound up purchasing.

Good luck and let us know how yours works.

Ivation 13-Pint Small-Area Desiccant Dehumidifier Compact and Quiet - With Continuous Drain Hose for Smaller Spaces, Bathroom, Attic, Crawlspace and Closets - For Spaces Up To 270 Sq Ft, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8SCPZ4..._voEeEbDVZKR1A
Old 01-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
We just bought this.....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-20-Pi...20LY/310574305

We sat it at the end of the dinette in our 30 footer, plugged in to outlet under the table.

We found it took out a whole boatload of water.....wow! This was on our recent stay in Hilton Head, with night temps in the 40's to 50's. We didn't run it during the day.

I think it a nice unit. Sure it makes some noise, but not as bad as the fridge fan in our old 25'

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #16

2012 31' Classic
1996 34' Cutter Bus
Dallas , Texas
Hi, I have a problem with my dehumidifier. I don't know but my cat is getting crazy when I turn it one. Maybe it is because of the smell or noise. Can you help me?
Joseph1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:12 AM   #17

Houston , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1986 View Post
Hi, I have a problem with my dehumidifier. I don't know but my cat is getting crazy when I turn it one. Maybe it is because of the smell or noise. Can you help me?
Hi, I think that it can be because of the smell. Your cat is used to the humidity and when you turn on the dehumidifier she feels like she is in a new place. You can have a look on the internet for some more information. I found this a site about Dehumidifier Critic. There you can read how to clean your dehumidifier and how to use it correctly. I think that like this your cat will calm down and will feel as home. Try not to keep it on for more than 1 or 2 hours, but read alone the information you know your situation better.
HowardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #18

2014 23' FB International
Studio City , California
Question: Did anyone attempt to use a dehumidifier as a water source? is it possible to connect the water outlet to the fresh water tank after taking it thru some type of a filtration system?
amorsy is offline   Reply With Quote