Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Anyone experience issues with slides?

We are considering trading up to a newer model and would like any and all comments regarding the 30' and 31' airstreams with slides. what issues should we expect with the slides and anything to do with the trailer. We currently have a 1982 31' excella and have been very happy with it except when we have the k9 kids with us... it is almost not big enough

thanks for your comments
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

30 slide 2004 , love it. Slide mechanism has had no issues. Slide seals have had no issues.Did have a leak where the slide hole trim is riveted to the coach , it is similar to the trim that is riveted around the entry door hole. So it was a leak that only a slide would experience but only because it was a seam only slides have. All Airstreams including mine have seams just like it elsewhere. So that is not really a reason not to get a slide.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Slider

I think Airstream has one of if not the best design made when it comes to slides. The design is very robust. Only thing about them is the weight, especially the tongue weight. Have you looked at that? Something like 1,100 lbs, dry!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Jump,

I agree with SafariSS. Its a well designed unit with a heavy frame thats more robust to handle the extra weight. And talking about weight... Its heavy but with the right vehicle and hitch setup you will enjoy towing it. Our slide has worked well but did initially have some alignment issues. We have a first year slide and think the original owners didnt use the stabilizers before opening the slide. Thats important.
The extra space is nice when staying for extended periods of time. If you choose not to open the slide there is still plenty of room to move about inside.

Let us know when you get one and be sure to post pictures.

Thanks Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Airslide

Airslide....I see you have a Dodge dually! I bet you do not notice the weight!

Down at Bates RV they have the first slide out built by Airstream. It is a prototype that does not have any windows in it and it had two doors if I remember correctly. Talking to frank bates he said they towed it over 200k miles with a chevrolet truck from the factory testing it before going into production. It is now just sitting on the back lot.

If you look at most hitches 1200lb is the max tongue weight, then you add propane etc. water and stuff and it gets on up there. You sure would not want to tow that slider with 1/2 ton...
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Thanks to all

we have just started our search. We looked at one locally and after I discussed it with the "experts" at a regular coffee gathering (read as: I'm retired and drink coffee with a group of geezers every tuesday) and hearing the negatives, we kinda put it out of our minds until I realized that I could get comments from ya'll as actual owners and hear the information straight from the horses mouth rather than hot air from the other end.

Thanks all for your comments.

more questions ... are there other threads about the sliding Airstreams?

How come they are not made anymore? not enough sales is my guess.

since the guys weigh more does the gvwr increase accordingly?

I'm towing with an 06 Ram cummins Megacab.

Thanks folks
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
2006 30' Classic S/O
Pine Bluff , Arkansas
We have an '06 classic 30'S/O....our 2nd AS and we will buy an S/O again if something happens to it...the first one was not and we love the extra space...most people want to find fault with an AS slide out but then turn around and buy an SOB with slide outs..the technology in '06 was so advanced that it still beats the new SOB S/0...my daughter bought an SOB unit with a S/O that leaked from the start and finally had to be sent back to the factory for complete replacement...so any unit can have issues...we had a problem one time because the gasket was pushed backwards on the top of SO and no slight tilt......in 5 years I always go in and make sure it is "seated" correctly and we have had no problem...added weight on any unit will show up on the hitch but we have a silverado 2500 and no problem because the areo-dynamics of AS make up for it...it is all a matter of what you want....seems we humans are going to spend$$$$$$$ on something no matter what so do what your budget allows and heart wants... glogeo
glogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
FWIW, we have a slide on our 2005 AS LYG MH. It works very well and so far has not leaked.

The only time I had any water problem was when I was washing it with the slide out. I pushed high pressure water under the bottom of the slide, damaging the electronic control unit. Had to order and install a new one. I learned my lesson there!

Since Airstream uses much of the same innovations and materials in both their TT's and MH's, I would not be surprised that the slides in the TT's work well also.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Jump,

Your Ram will be right at home, don't expect any issues with that. We're in our 3rd year and the slide attracts attention, folks look and wonder, never seen an Airstream with a slide,were did you find it? etc etc. Do the SOB's have slide retract locks like our do?

It adds a nice piece of breathing room, I like it. At the Region 3 Rally this year we were parked next to another AS S/O kinda neet.

Good luck.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Slide retract lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
...........Do the SOB's have slide retract locks like our do?.........
What is a slide retract lock? How does it become engaged?

Our MH slide will not go out if the ignition is on. Not sure if igniton works if slide is out, though.
Michigan
Old 08-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #11
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Bob,

Sorry for creating any confusion. From my '07. Level and stabilize before using slide. ALWAYS ALWAYS double check for clearance before extending.

To extend slide you retract the electric slide lock arms, remove the wood block spacers. The arms retract into pockets on the slide. Extend slide to full extended position. To retract, check for clearance outside, retract slide to fully closed position. Extend locking arms 1/2 way or so, attach wood blocks (held by magnets) contine to extend locking arms.

Operation is all electric, manual operation of slide is possible in case of malfunction.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
...........To extend slide you retract the electric slide lock arms, remove the wood block spacers. The arms retract into pockets on the slide. Extend slide to full extended position............. .
Do you have any photos of the arms and spacers?

My slide just goes in and out when you press a button, no spacers, etc.

Just curious.

Thanks!
Michigan
Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
Do you have any photos of the arms and spacers?

My slide just goes in and out when you press a button, no spacers, etc.

Just curious.

Thanks!

Be glad to, I'll post this weekend.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Our 2004 Classic 30 S/O is wonderful and with no problems at all. One note of caution; the first couple of years of manufacture the axles were a bit underated so stay away from the early models and you should be OK.
The S/Os are a bit heavy, 9,100lbs gross so a good tow vehicle, especially in the mountains out west or the hills out east, is a necessity. We tow with a 2500 Duramax 4X4 which might be a bit of an overkill but it pulls the hills like they aren't even there. Good luck and GO RED RAIDERS!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Here's a link to a thread I did on Slide Adjustments.
Its an early slide but should apply to most trailer models.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f252...tml#post651167

Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Michigander,

Pics of slide lock on my '07. Locked for transit, unlocked ready to extend and exterior view of lock. The wood block attached to the arm with a magnet for locking.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0829.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	166716   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0832.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	166717  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0837.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	166718  
Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Slide Locks

GCinSC2,

Thanks for the photos. That's a very interesting mechanism.

I wonder why there has to be a lock. My AS LYG MH has no such locks.

Our slide just goes in and out and stays in place due to tension on a series of cables.

Michigander
Michigan
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Tifton , Georgia
We have lived in our 03 28ft slide for almost three years now, and I must say we love it. Folks are correct with the weight issue but I don't have any problems pulling it with a 3/4 ton duramax, and I don't think you'll have any with your rig. People are also correct when they say you'll have alot of gawkers and questions about it too. The I've never seen will come up frequently. The only issue I've had so far was a leak on the bottom portion of the slide. Factory didn't cut the carpet all the way out of the drip holes in a corner of the slide so on heavy rain days the carpet would soak up the water and wet the couch corner and carpet. I keep my gasket conditioned with silicone and it seals pretty good.
Good luck with your decision and remember all units have issues, just decide what you want and go for it !
RoadHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
extra weight

So ... ZoominC6 said to avoid the early years of the slide models because the axles are under rated ... what years were the slides produced and how much heaver are they than a regular 31' AS?

And then AIRSLIDE said something else about weight ... that AS built them with a heavier frame ... I've been told different about this and would prefer to believe AIRSLIDE than the know it all geezers at the Pancake House (and Dave, if you are reading this I meant that in the best, most Christian way)

So, help me out here, were the frames really made heavier? and how can we tell?

Thanks again for all the comments and remember: this is Talk Like A Pirate day!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi,

I dont have the official word but I have my SO at the shop and all the other non SO models that come through have a significantly smaller frame. Cant remember who told me but when he was at the factory during a tour it was mentioned that the frames were beefed up for the additional load. I might have a picture of mine with a hitch setup?

Thanks Vinnie