Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Middletown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
If you use an enzyme based deodorant, you won't have a problem. We drain the black tank into our septic, using a Sewer Solution, both at our home, and at a friends home where we stay for a month or so every summer.
The enzyme product we use is "Consume", which is a commercial cleaning solution......costs about $15 to $18/gallon, and is available at most janitorial supply houses.....I add 4 ounces to the black water tank....
Excellent advice!

We use a "Zep" enzyme product from Home Depot, which I assume is similar.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I have a connection to my septic tank, and use a macerate pump to move the contents of black/grey tanks about 100 ft from the driveway to the back yard. Works great. Black tank is only 37 gallons, so minimal impact on a typical 1500 gallon septic tank.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:37 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
We have used the cleanout going to our 2 section (standard design) tank, and use "septic safe" treatment for black tank. No concerns in doing that although, if you want to be extra conservative dump 1/3rd at a time to allow more hold time. Our tank outlet to the leach field has a filter that can be extracted without digging anything up, and then cleaned or replaced and highly recommend that addition to any septic setup as well as having it pumped and inspected every 4 to 7 years (max).
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I have read several responses to the OP that are of various quality concerning septic systems. I was the lead editor of TEX*A*Syst Ground Water Protection Program released 1997. My expertise is Pesticide impacts on soil and water, the Household waste document was written by a PhD environmental engineer and approved by the State of Texas. The TEX*A*Syst program was based on the Wisconsin FarmASyst program and reflects Texas laws and policy.

https://blackland.tamu.edu/decision-...ter-treatment/

"The design and construction of septic tanks influence their water tightness and effectiveness at retaining sludge and scum. Multiple tanks or chambers in series can improve sludge and scum removal. Gas deflectors and filter screens or inclined-plate settling units help to minimize solids entering the drain field. Tanks should be sized to accommodate at least 24 hours of wastewater flow while still allowing for sludge and scum retention. Pumping the tank before it is more than one-third filled with scum and sludge (generally every 3 to 5 years) improves the functioning of the system. When the tank is pumped, you should have the baffles checked and also check for tank leaks."

I see no reason that you can not occasionally dump small amounts of your RV Blackwater into your home system. however frequent use is not advisable and may result in the need to pump your septic system more often. also, typical home systems are not designed to handle large volumes of liquid per day and may cause environmental damage. I pump our home system every 7 years, larger families should have their septic systems pumped more often. If you allow your system to fill with sludge it will plug the drainage field pipes. If your septic is full of sludge and still flowing, your sewage is draining directly into your local ground water or stream and you may be subject to state enforcement of environmental laws and significant fines. Our local septic pumpers charge $250-300 to pump tanks and haul it to a local city sewage plant for proper disposal. Replacing your drainage field will cost hundreds more and require permits and inspection by local and state environmental agencies who may also require additional expensive upgrades to your system to meet current laws.

You do not need to add enzymes to your septic system, Natural biological process are sufficient. If you have additional questions please send me a PM; I am retired and the email address provided on the original documentation will not get you a response.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote