Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Andersen Hitch

Has anyone any experience with the Andersen Anti-Bounce, Anti-Sway, Weight Distribution Hitch? The ones I'm referencing are the ones that use chains and no spring bars. They also don't use grease!

Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch

Thanks
Jim
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
I have actually used one and found it to be a terrific piece of equipment. I do have a more than adequate tow vehicle, which really helps.
Rendrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have also happily used one and will be again. So as to have to not reinvent the wheel once again check out this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...on-101220.html

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've used one and found it inadequate to restore (distribute) our front axle weight, and it was troublesome. The chains began to wear through the links at the chain guides, and the hitch ball wore badly from the pressure applied to the front of it; lubrication (grease) may help. The friction material began oozing out of the ball mount after extended use and tightening the chains in an attempt to distribute enough weight, and the urethane bushings squished badly. The pressure needed to hold the frame mounting brackets overcame the clamping system they provide, so we drilled the Airstream frame for through-bolts, which began to elongate the holes in the frame. I gave up on it after the light steering from not enough weight distribution made it near impossible to keep the truck on the roadway when semis passed us in a cold light rain, slippery road surface.

Others have used it on very light trailers (Scamp, Casita) and it worked very well. Others have been satisfied with it on heavy duty trucks saying full restoration of front axle load is not as important as lighter duty vehicles.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Proper set up is key to effectiveness. Andersen has adjusted the angle of the brackets to stop chain wear. They are also using new polymer bushing. A simple and easily removed spot weld fixes any issues of the brackets moving under tension. There are quite a few members here and users on other forums with large heavy trailers that are totally pleased with the performance of the system. Andersen worked closely with several members here to improve the design for Airstream use. I know personally of at least a half dozen users that have the couplers listed and have no problems at all. I spoke with Dave Andersen late last year. He said that they received two complaints about the coupler issue and put the warning in their literature at the advice of their lawyer. They asked for photos of the reported issues and never received any. They have no way of actually knowing if there were additional mitigating circumstances that might of attributed to the coupler failures. They also offered to buy back the systems and both offers were declined. They did receive several legitimate complaints about the bushings and replaced those bushing with the new compound. At the time of our conversation they had no further complaints about chain wear or bushing failure.

Truth in posting is also a positive attribute.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
So would be noting the failure of an Andersen to achieve FALR on any but the lightest trailers.

If they've modified the hitch that would be worth seeing from scale tickets. The low price and low weight make it attractive.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The hitch is vastly superior in many ways. No porpoising, no sway, light weight, easiest to hitch and unhitch, and lower cost. It is a hitch designed for today's needs.

Now that said there are those that question to limited amount of weight transferring it can previde to the front axle. This is a fact but one that is not as important as it once was. Historically when trailer wee towed with softly sprung cars the preeminent consideration of a WD hitch was just that WD to ensure the tow vehicle's front end geometry was maintained. Now days most are towing with some form of truck, heavier spring sets, and that consideration is no longer the prime consideration. The "Old Guard" is still making that case as a last stand to progress.

Another claim that is made to detract from the Andersen is the type of coupler used on most RV trailers not functioning well over time with the Andersen. It is not uncommon for new and revolutionary concepts to require adaptations. Think of the changes people had to accept when Apple came along. There are still people using Windows and missing out on the improvements.

I have used my Andersen for 3 years now. The overall experience is much better than the experience I had with several bar type WD hitches. And yes I was probably the second person to change out my coupler.

Another factory that speaks well of Andersen is the fact that they have responded to customer comments and adapted several changes to improve the hitch.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Still waiting to see if a new and improved version will ever be introduced??? If they could design one that solves all the issues then they might have something.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I continue to love my Andersen hitch, and I tow a FC 20, 700# tongue weight trailer, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have posted my scale data and will not re post it here. I do not overload or underload either Jeep axle.

Lets not rehash this again. It is all in the extensive older Andersen posts.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
That is why I posted the link to the master thread and then my other post. Unfortunetly nothing can stop the distortions and out right lies by some people.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB International
Dayton , Ohio
We switched to an Andersen hitch on our 19' and for us it is much better and easier to use than the Equalizer the dealer sold us. So we are very happy with it on a smaller trailer.
Artvez is offline   Reply With Quote