Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' Flying Cloud
High point , North Carolina
Air conditioner drip

2010 23' flying cloud..camping on north carolina coast...really hot (96) and humid..a/c unit has been dripping inside trailer (slow drip..maybe a cup or less a day)...checked overflow tube next to tires...seems to be okay..slow steady drip coming out there..is this normal condensation for really hot weather or do i have something plugged up?
Gmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Mine did that when I adjusted the vents to point the air flow down. Part of the flow went inside the housing and either caused condensation somewhere there was no drip pan or puhed a pool of water in a pan over the side. When I returned the vents to a position where no air was blowing inside the housing the drip stopped.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If it is just a few drips, then I would suggest that what is happening is the plastic duct in the AC that is used to draw in air is getting cooler and cooler the longer you run the system. In theory, if you have your trailer fairly well sealed up, then the air in the trailer should become less and less humid as it gets passed through the AC unit.

Now, if you walk out of the front door, a volume of nice humid air enters your trailer. When this air gets sucked into your AC intake, it is going to encounter that cold plastic, and some of that humidity is going to condense in the intake. Perhaps if the AC is kept running the constant rush of air keeps those drops of condensate stuck to the plastic intake duct, so when you turn it off, the water is then able to drip down.

My AC unit is only a couple of years old. I recently pulled the shroud off of it, and observed that on each side of the unit, there are coolant lines or wires that penetrate from the outside into the air intake side of the AC unit. The factory used some kind of very mobile butyl to seal the hole around the penetrations, and in only a couple years' time, that butyl had sagged enough to allow outside air to get sucked directly into my AC. I got rid of a lot of my dripping when I sealed these up.

So next time you experience this bit of dripping, try to identify exactly where it is coming from, and whether it corresponds to the intake side of the AC or not.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had a similar problem on mine. I determined that although it was flowing fine, the condensation was too much. So I had some holes drilled to drain excess water onto the roof.

Problem solved.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
My trailer is somewhat older than yours so the design of the AC could be quite different.

I did have a similar problem though - drain hose seemed clear but water was dripping into the trailer.

Turned out that the plastic drip tray was cracked around the location where the hose enters the side of the tray.

Sealing the crack with suitable goop seems to have corrected the problem - for now anyway.

I would have tried to install a new tray but it doesn't look that simple to remove, might even have to remove the AC unit to do it in my case, I'm not sure, but hence my half hearted repair job! I was able to do this by simply removing the interior grille to gain access.

If you have not yet done so, you might wish to remove the interior grille for a looksee!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote