Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Panama City Beach , Florida
Accident-need diminished value expert

Has anyone been through this, we got hit their insurance is a reputable company, however they are low balling us. We are getting an estimate from Airstream to counter, but does anyone know where we can find a diminished value expert for Airstreams?
JPahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard...👍

I would....

Get the quote from the Jackson Center repair facility. Quality photos will be needed.

Good Luck...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Show the “perps” insurance company comparable selling prices from this and other websites
Also go nada.com for more value. Quick look i found 2005 30 (M30) base price retail is $60,000. The insurance is going to cringe at any price. Remind them, its the market. Airstreams are HOT!
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
When this happened to my Subaru, I was able to get a dealer to write a quote for trade-in value after the accident. They wrote it with a line deducting value for the previous damages, even though they had been repaired. Took a bit of doing to find a dealer willing to put that in writing.

One the insurance company had the written evidence, they were much easier to deal with.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:38 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Show the “perps” insurance company comparable selling prices from this and other websites
Also go nada.com for more value. Quick look i found 2005 30 (M30) base price retail is $60,000. The insurance is going to cringe at any price. Remind them, its the market. Airstreams are HOT!
I told them about that. I guess I have to take screenshots and include that?
Old 09-09-2021, 05:40 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I would....

Get the quote from the Jackson Center repair facility. Quality photos will be needed.

Good Luck...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
I’m wondering about diminished value for resale, not repairs
Old 09-09-2021, 05:47 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPahlow View Post
I’m wondering about diminished value for resale, not repairs
Well, just subtract the repair cost....no?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-09-2021, 07:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
I dunno, in my experience its always best to take the claim to your insurance company and let them battle on your behalf with the perp's. When someone backed into me, my insurance (Progressive) assigned a estimator familiar with Airstreams and the final outcome was positive. If that's not possible, I agree with Bob to get a repair estimate from JC. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Jpahlow,
I hate to say it, but you are swimming upstream here. Insurance adjusters’ job performance is based on what they don’t pay out. Some of the “reputable “ companies are the absolute worst in this respect. With the state legislatures in their pockets, they are only obligated to provide the most basic repairs.
“Diminished value? Tell me another good one!”
Thirty years ago, the phrase “Make me whole” was not met with derision, and buyers weren’t able to wave a Carfax report to knock the price down. I’m not saying you shouldn’t try to get a settlement that reflects your material loss , but you may need to involve a lawyer to do so.
Or, as Souper Trouper suggested, let your own company fight the battle (which is what has worked best for us).
Or you can be philosophical and enjoy your repaired trailer, while putting off concerns about resale price until the time comes. Whatever you do, don’t let it eat at your mental health.
I hope there were no physical injuries associated with this incident. All the best to you!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:09 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Diminished Value is very difficult to prove

I had a car rental company and dealt with diminished value claims. The bottom line is they don't pay for that in my experience if you keep the unit. They won't predict what the value difference is because it is in the future. You did not say if it is a write off. Your best option is if it is repairable is to fix it right and sell it immediately. If you cannot get what it is worth you now have a claim for diminished value. You must find similar year make models in the same condition and provide proof. RV trader, Airstream classifieds, NADA Airstream delaers etc, are a source of proof. Get your evidence together now and put in writing your case with supporting documents and make them aware of your intention to sell it and make a claim for the difference. You may find in the end that selling it in a sellers market will not result in a diminished value at all. Good Luck.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
try James Polk. He is a reputable appraiser of Airstreams, Vintage and antique cars etc.
maybe he can help. Maybe not
James Polk, (805)-646-7293
Good Luck.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:10 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
The ad in the classifieds is marked sold, is it?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-10-2021, 05:05 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Oh, we sold the 2005 in March 2020, it was our 2016 that was hit.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:51 AM   #14
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Diminished value payment is something that will vary greatly from state to state. In some states the insurance company is only responsible for repairing the vehicle or for paying the market value. In other states, there are better protections designed to make the owner whole after the incident.

Here in Wisconsin there is case law which can be used to force an insurance company to provide compensation for diminished value after an accident. No matter how well the repair is done, the vehicle will be worth less due to the fact that there is an accident in its history. Actually getting the insurer to pay, however, is a whole other issue.

First thing I had to do was specifically mention in writing the case law which required the compensation. Next was to provide them with something in writing which clearly demonstrated how much my car would have been worth had the accident not occurred and how much is was actually worth since it had.

With my Subaru it was slightly easier, since they have a guaranteed buy back program (or did at the time my accident happened). The car sales manager was able to give me a print out showing the guaranteed amount he'd authorize the dealership to pay based on my car's equipment, etc. Then he gave me another quote showing the ding the value took as a direct result of having this accident in its history. The difference between the two was the number I demanded from the insurance company (and eventually got).

To succeed with a diminished value claim, you have to first live in a state where it's possible to file such a claim. Then you have to have definitive evidence of the loss in value.

You could probably find a certified vehicle appraiser to issue a valuation but you might not win much in the end, depending on how much you have to pay the appraiser to do the work.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:13 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
We are happy to help! As a certified senior member of the American Society of Appraisers, we work with insurance companies on diminished value claims. Assuming the damage is less than 60% of the value? Give us a call at 805.646.7293 and let's discuss your concerns.
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Diminshed Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPahlow View Post
Has anyone been through this, we got hit their insurance is a reputable company, however they are low balling us. We are getting an estimate from Airstream to counter, but does anyone know where we can find a diminished value expert for Airstreams?
Diminished value was established in a Georgia court of law. This formula can be found on the internet. Just ask Google. I was hit while camping in Myrtle Beach last spring. My TV was damaged, thank goodness it was not my Airstream. The lady was insured by Allstate, that scared me to death. Allstate did step up and they paid for everything. I was concerned about how the future value would be impacted. I found this formula on the internet. I calculated the diminished value to be about $3700. Allstate must have used the same formula, they offered me $3744. I'm not sure if it will be the same on Airstreams, but I don't know why it would not apply. Good luck.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Woodland , California
I would not let my insurance company do any negotiation with the other party's insurance. It's been my experience that some companies trade off similar claims against each other and screw the customer in the process. There are several references here for obtaining good estimates. If the other party's insurance keeps lowballing you, I would offer to sue them and their customer for the remaining damages. A lot of this is dependent on your state's insurance laws.
flyfshrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dana Point , California
How is your insurance provider involved in this process?
Tralien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:46 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
They aren’t. The truck driver was at fault so we are working with their insurance.
The Hartford. Even though not our fault in order to use Geico we have a$500 deductible. We have the money, but why should we have to pay when we were
Not at fault???
Old 09-16-2021, 05:48 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
No interest for lawyers because no one was hurt