Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #1

swisher , Iowa
accessory questions

Hi,

I'm looking to get an 07 25' safari SE FB. My knees are shot so I'd really like a large entrance handle like I had put on my old TT. Dealer says that would cause airstream to void the warranty.

Would also like the fantastic fan in the bedroom and dealer said again, void the warranty (unless factory ordered).

Finally, is it common with airstreams to put vent covers on? If so, are you glad you did? Dealer said he could do that, which I find odd, as I'd think that would void the warranty according to his previous statements.

Finally, how does the black tank rinse system work? I put a tornado on my old TT, but clueless sales person had no idea how it worked on the airstream. Tanks are enclosed if I remember on this unit, so tornado won't be an option.

Regards,

JJ
jjurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Hi, Welcome.
From what you say, it sounds like the salesman is clueless. If the Airstream dealer put a Fantastic Fan in, it would not void the warranty on the trailer. If you had them put an oversize handle on the side, it would not void the warranty on the whole trailer.
The fan has its own warranty, so you don't need the warranty for a vent that's not there. The dealer should stand behind their work, so they should warranty the handle.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
JJ...Welcome to the Airforms...glad you could join us! That's a very nice model you're looking at. You're in a good place to find answers, meet other Airstreamers, and get moral support for your journey toward the Airstream life.

It seems very very odd to me that an AS dealer-installed item would void a warrantee. I'd check around about that. I've never heard that before and we've asked our dealer about adding a couple of things, and they never said the additional installations would void our warrantee. In fact, we are adding street side and rear awnings to our Bambi, and the dealer didn't bat an eye. He was happy to help us. Items added by someone they don't feel is qualified to do so might be anohter story...but and AS Dealer? I doubt it. It's just more income for them, after all...so why would they discourage you? Perhaps some of the service people on the forums more in the know can weigh in on this.

In the meantime, welcome again!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #4

swisher , Iowa
re

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

I agree, it is totally odd what I'm being told and inconsistent with my experience when I purchased my original TT, but having never owned an AS, and with these things costing what they do, I wasn't sure. Glad I asked. Dealer said AS wouldn't warranty it (drilling of holes) due to leak issues.

How do they do the wiring on the fan in the bedroom if the dealer does it? Would you all trust the dealer to do this kind of mod, assuming I find a competent dealer.

Regards,

JJ
Old 09-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
JJ...Anything that is installed that requires holes to be made needs to be sealed, but that's part of the installation process.

If there is a non-fantastic fan in the bedroom (I don't know if there's one in that model or not), they whould be able to switch out the non-fantastic fan for a fantastic vent (they are the same size) with no additional holes. The power woudl be obtained from nearby light power sources (per our dealer)...we are considering doing that in our 19' Bambi so we can have a F-Vent in the living area and in the bed area (some come with that configuration from the factory).

I would definitely want to have a dealer that I was confident in to do any modifications or additions...

Good luck...
TB
Old 09-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. We have an '05 Safari SE 25FB and love the floor plan.

It sounds like your salesman suffers from Low IQ Syndrome, which is quite common among RV salesmen. I don't think that he knows what he talking about. I would ask to talk to the dealership manager.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
_

. , .
hi jj and welcome

how big a handle would you like?

the classic ltd models did come with a bigger handle....

the issue is that it needs to be mounted very securely, as in attached to a rib or with interior back bracing....

but a/s does this all of the time.

here is a pix of mine...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...0&d=1151790675

find another dealer. some are very willing to make simple modifications...

like a handle and vent and fan...

IF the one you've talked with isn't able to solve your simple requests...

imagine how they will 'handle' the inevitable service issues...

void the warranty? total nonsense.... besides it's only 2 years.

cheers
2air'

if you are thinking more along the lines of the folding handles seen on many 5th wheels that might be more challenging...
it is still possible (with the right dealer) but a better option might be a folding ramp, since 1 or 2 steps is all the a/s has....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Welcome aboard.

Question. Tell us that you are NOT going to purchase from that dealer right? You're asking for nothing but troubles. There has to be other AS dealers in the area. Have you been to Airstream, Inc :: Home and looked up the dealerships in your neck of the woods? It would even be a good idea to travel a little further away to a more "knowledgeable" and "reputable" dealer.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #9

swisher , Iowa
re

Been to that web site. We have 3 dealers, two are owned by the same company. The 3rd wasn't as pleasant to deal with as these other two are.

Going to talk to the sales manager directly and try and investigate further. It is a long story. Basically, the person I'm dealing with is pleasant, but has to call the sales manager of the other store for ?'s as this person just started selling air streams.

The dealer sells a lot of other lines of campers and has a good repair facility from what I can gather. Seems like AS is kind of a novelty line for them, in my opinion. Hate to have to drive 4+ hours though to get a better dealer.

JJ
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjurich
Hi,

I'm looking to get an 07 25' safari SE FB.
Finally, how does the black tank rinse system work? I put a tornado on my old TT, but clueless sales person had no idea how it worked on the airstream. Tanks are enclosed if I remember on this unit, so tornado won't be an option.

Regards,

JJ
JJ,

I see the other folks have advised you about the BS you are getting from that sales person regarding the warranty issues. Keep in mind that if you have concerns regarding the addition of the Fantastic Fan or the handle, you could have the dealer order a trailer from Airstream with those components built in at assembly time. I did that with my Safari a few years back, rather than have the dealer do it after the fact. At that time I didn't have any experience with my local dealer and felt that it would be better to have the work done at build time.

Regarding the black tank rinse, I guess it works. My Classic has that feature and its just a connection into the tank that you screw a hose into. You then turn on the water for the hose and the tank is supposedly sprayed with water from an inside jet. I guess if I had a clear sewer hose I'd know how much gunk is being flushed out. Normally I only use it once a year on my last trip out when I have a site with a full hookup. I always dump the tank full so it may have minimal benefits for me.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Your saleman is clueless and I would hate to have to go through the sales process with someone who has to check their answers with a sales manager.As for the larger handle that 2Air has on his Classic, I have an 07 25' Classic and I was told by the factory that there wasn't enough room between the door and window to install the larger handle on mine but that may be different on the Safari.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA160014.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	44488  
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
JJ...The black tank flush syytem is nice...I like the fact that we have that on our unit... After you dump the black tank, you can hook up a hose to the flush inlet hookup on the outside, and turn on the water...you can hear the pressurized sprayer spraying water inside the black tank...we usually use it each time we dump the black water tank...first we close the drain off and let some water accumulate in the black tank...being careful not to let it over-fill ...then we release the dump valve again and let the sprayer continue for a while longer just to continue the flushinig. We have done this from the get-go on our unit, so hopefully we will be able to avoid any build-up of solid waste in the bottom of the black water tank... A clean tank is a happy tank!

TB
Old 09-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
IMHO the buy is only the beginning. I would drive a thousand miles for good service and mod work. 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote