RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #441
2 Rivet Member
 
1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 48
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
uwe,

I have 2 PVR cards for my computer. Mine are in the computer but they do come USB as well. I got mine from Hauppage for $75 each. The program that I got to power the PVR cards is MicroSoft MediaCenter. It works like a TiVo without needing to pay the monthly fee. I have a 17 inch LCD monitor attached to my system now.

I plan to upgrade to a 23 inch LCD TV so that I can swivel the unit around from the Twin Bedroom area to the front so that it can also be viewed from the couch. Of course I plan to use that as my computer screen as well and hook it into my new speakers.

Haven't figured out the sub-woofer and mechanism to switch between front and bedroom speaker, in case I have someone asleep on the couch in the front of the overlander.

Although the program has its quirks, I am quite happy with both the harward and the software.

Jennifer
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #442
4 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 390
Uwe,

The overhead cabinets look great - as does the cover over the black tank. Does that cover have some kind of framework to support the toilet or does the tank take the weight itself?

I think the curly maple looks great against the simpler walls and front/sides to the cabinets. Bravo.

Carlos
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #443
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrhodes
uwe,

I have 2 PVR cards for my computer. Mine are in the computer but they do come USB as well. I got mine from Hauppage for $75 each. The program that I got to power the PVR cards is MicroSoft MediaCenter. It works like a TiVo without needing to pay the monthly fee. I have a 17 inch LCD monitor attached to my system now.

I plan to upgrade to a 23 inch LCD TV so that I can swivel the unit around from the Twin Bedroom area to the front so that it can also be viewed from the couch. Of course I plan to use that as my computer screen as well and hook it into my new speakers.

Haven't figured out the sub-woofer and mechanism to switch between front and bedroom speaker, in case I have someone asleep on the couch in the front of the overlander.

Although the program has its quirks, I am quite happy with both the harward and the software.

Jennifer
Jennifer,
So you can watch TV through the computer system's monitor? That's precisely what I have planned in my head. Although, TV is not that important to me, but it is nice to be able to enjoy when the campground provides a cable hookup. Priority is music and DVD to me.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #444
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
Uwe,

The overhead cabinets look great - as does the cover over the black tank. Does that cover have some kind of framework to support the toilet or does the tank take the weight itself?

I think the curly maple looks great against the simpler walls and front/sides to the cabinets. Bravo.

Carlos
Carlos,
the tank has a somewhat crude 3/4in plywood top over it, which is 1/2 in larger than the tank, so that the weight is supported by the sides of the tank. I stood on it and bounced to check it's strength, with no ill effects.
The cover is for cosmetic purposes only.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:09 PM   #445
2 Rivet Member
 
1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 48
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
uwe,
Yes, I don't have a TV only a computer. I hook my cable into the computer and the TV tuner card or USB which ever does the rest. It works well. I am considering a LCD TV monitor only because it can support not only my computer but also my PS2. I looked at a 23 inch Samsung tonight that is enticing. I have gotten spoiled by having the luxury of surfing the forums and watching TV at the same time. It is almost as decadent as deconstructing my Overlander. Nothing beats the anticipation of creating a well constructed, water tight, fully functional, customized AS.

Jennifer
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #446
Think Freedom
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
Third Rock from , Sol
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,554
Images: 39
Uwe, I meant to ask in my earlier post about your lights. Are they 12v D.C.? and where did you get them? I thought I saw a link to the company you bought them from, but I guess I was mistaken. Thanks for the info.

Jim
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #447
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Uwe, I meant to ask in my earlier post about your lights. Are they 12v D.C.? and where did you get them? I thought I saw a link to the company you bought them from, but I guess I was mistaken. Thanks for the info.

Jim
Jim,
I purchased the lights from www.swego.com
They are indeed 12VDC.
Actually, incandescent lights don't differentiate much between A/C and DC.
I am about to order more lights from them, to install under the overhead cabinets in the Overlander.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #448
Rivet Master
 
pinkflamingoes's Avatar
 
1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,570
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 3
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
correct on the wifi availability. I also forgot you'd have to plug your ethernet into a box that eventually goes to the provider, to be truly "wired".

My priorities are music and dvd, in that order. I'll have to think about wiring for that in the trailer when the time comes. For now, I'm trying to install that cursed front window. The screws that I took out, are too small now. I had to re-thread the holes with some fancy shmancy self-tapping screw and get bigger ones, but they fit. So, I cleaned off half-dried sealer and now I try again...
__________________
"Let's look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever man.'"
~ Hurley

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #449
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
correct on the wifi availability. I also forgot you'd have to plug your ethernet into a box that eventually goes to the provider, to be truly "wired".
Yeah, so I figured to skip on computer wiring altogether. Keep it simple.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #450
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Knoll Textiles

today the Knoll fabric samples arrived. WOW! Now that's really nice textiles. We requested and received 25 or so sample swatches, and from the looks of it it will be tough to make a choice, they are all very nice.
The colors are very vibrant, and the materials feel like quality. A far cry from the regular fabric store variety that we have smapled so far.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:26 PM   #451
3 Rivet Member
 
moogie32's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 215
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
today the Knoll fabric samples arrived. WOW! Now that's really nice textiles. We requested and received 25 or so sample swatches, and from the looks of it it will be tough to make a choice, they are all very nice.
The colors are very vibrant, and the materials feel like quality. A far cry from the regular fabric store variety that we have smapled so far.
How did you hear about Knoll, Uwe? Online? I'm far from the point of looking at fabric but it would be nice to know where to go for it now! (Your '63 looks wonderful - I'm still sanding!) Diane
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 PM   #452
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
How did you hear about Knoll, Uwe? Online? I'm far from the point of looking at fabric but it would be nice to know where to go for it now! (Your '63 looks wonderful - I'm still sanding!) Diane
Knoll has been my favorite office furniture supplier, next to Ikea. Both office lines are excellent. Then, while browsing for a new chair, I ran across their textile line a few years back, looking for a chair covering color.
Anyways, I remembered seeing some nice colors, and went back to www.knolltextiles.com
You can contact your local rep and have them send samples. A swatch speaks a thousand words.....
I like the cuddle cloth. Feels wonderful and has a beautiful texture.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #453
3 Rivet Member
 
moogie32's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 215
Images: 11
Thumbs up Nice fabric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Knoll has been my favorite office furniture supplier, next to Ikea. Both office lines are excellent. Then, while browsing for a new chair, I ran across their textile line a few years back, looking for a chair covering color.
Anyways, I remembered seeing some nice colors, and went back to www.knolltextiles.com
You can contact your local rep and have them send samples. A swatch speaks a thousand words.....
I like the cuddle cloth. Feels wonderful and has a beautiful texture.
Just checked them out - they really do have some lovely fabric - one that caught my eye was "Tides Sea Grass" at $64/linear yard. How many yards on average make up a gaucho? (I better start saving now!)
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #454
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
Just checked them out - they really do have some lovely fabric - one that caught my eye was "Tides Sea Grass" at $64/linear yard. How many yards on average make up a gaucho? (I better start saving now!)
I hear you!
It's 13 yards for a dinette and a goucho, according to Shari.
Probably half that if you just do a goucho only. But, better check with a pro before ordering.
You can save further by doing the bottoms in a less expensive canvas.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:37 PM   #455
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
Garment district...

Uwe - having Los Angeles so close can be a boon. I'd check for wholesale fabric places in downtown. I think you'll find some steals.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:26 AM   #456
2 Rivet Member
 
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 85
Images: 9
Fabric in LA

I discovered uwe's great thread...really great for those of us that are new to this. Thank you!
When you mentioned fabric my ears perked up. I worked in the la garment discrict as a buyer for many years. Michael Levine at 9th and Maple gets in great overruns from high end furniture manufacturers. Current goods at great prices. The block around 9th and maple is surrounded by manufacturers close outs shops. But time is money and you have to go down and look for what you need.
Diamond fabrics in the fairfax area has a great selection but they are pricier.
cloud55 aka sewcal
cloud55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:30 AM   #457
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud55
I discovered uwe's great thread...really great for those of us that are new to this. Thank you!
When you mentioned fabric my ears perked up. I worked in the la garment discrict as a buyer for many years. Michael Levine at 9th and Maple gets in great overruns from high end furniture manufacturers. Current goods at great prices. The block around 9th and maple is surrounded by manufacturers close outs shops. But time is money and you have to go down and look for what you need.
Diamond fabrics in the fairfax area has a great selection but they are pricier.
cloud55 aka sewcal
Cloud55, I see we're practically neighbors!
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #458
Rivet Master
 
pinkflamingoes's Avatar
 
1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,570
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 3
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
grrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Cloud55, I see we're practically neighbors!
Why can't any of you people by MY practically neighbors.

Move here. Now.
__________________
"Let's look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever man.'"
~ Hurley

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #459
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,785
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Why can't any of you people by MY practically neighbors.

Move here. Now.
Move the entire "Area63" and the secret lab? Nein! Nicht! Niemals!
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #460
Rivet Master
 
pinkflamingoes's Avatar
 
1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,570
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 3
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
bitte schooooon...
__________________
"Let's look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever man.'"
~ Hurley

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorhome versus Trailer Member Search crzycpa Our Community 1 08-23-2011 01:30 PM
1976 Airstream Argosy RV Trailer 26 Foot, Very Good Con eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 07-18-2011 11:40 AM
Trying to buy a New Trailer kingfisher24 On The Road... 2 05-13-2011 08:26 PM
How do you deal with your trailer while exploring? mikescha On The Road... 18 02-21-2011 12:36 PM
A sad end to a wonderful trailer rmk110761 Airstream History 9 02-15-2011 10:12 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.