Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2021, 05:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
27' vs 28'

We have friends who are considering a new Airstream purchase. They plan to do some extended trips so they are considering a 27' or 28'. Trim level is undecided but Most likely FC or Int. We have a 25' and for our needs at this stage of our lives that works for us. So that said, I have never personally been inside a 27 or 28. Only 25 and under. I know the layout of the 27 is very similar to our 25, obviously just a little longer and more closet, pantry space etc. From what I see online the 28' is a major change with the U shape lounge, separate dinette, etc. To my surprise, it appears to be same price point as 27'.
These folks have a capable TV, but they want to do National Parks at some point so for those who have done it in a larger AS, is that an issue?
I don't see them doing a lot of boondocking, they will seek established campgrounds for the part. Anyway, they have asked us for advice , so I am asking the experts!
Thanks for the input!
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Both layouts are great. The 27 is actually 28 feet long and the 28 is one inch shorter. Go figure...
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:23 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I chose the 28 FC RB because I liked the separate seating area from the dining seating area and it gave us 2 sleeping areas + the “master” bedroom (north/south orientation) for when we bring the grand kids along. If it was just the 2 of us I may have looked closer at other FC options. Either choice works., I would suggest that they go see both and see what feels right for them. I also chose the rear bedroom because it just felt better having the door in the front. There will Of course, it’s difficult to find dealers with inventory. It wasn’t until I saw them in person that we knew which one felt right.
Pappy3393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I have the 27 FB. Probably all the same limitations you know about with your 25 FB. In tight campsites I unhitch the truck and carefully park it sideways in front of the trailer, and fold in the mirrors. Campgrounds seem to routinely understate their pad lengths by several feet.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy3393 View Post
I chose the 28 FC RB because I liked the separate seating area from the dining seating area and it gave us 2 sleeping areas + the “master” bedroom (north/south orientation) for when we bring the grand kids along. If it was just the 2 of us I may have looked closer at other FC options. Either choice works., I would suggest that they go see both and see what feels right for them. I also chose the rear bedroom because it just felt better having the door in the front. There will Of course, it’s difficult to find dealers with inventory. It wasn’t until I saw them in person that we knew which one felt right.
do you think that the 28' just 'feels' bigger?
that's the way it looks online
Old 02-18-2021, 09:04 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have over 2,000 nights in a 25FB. It works very well for us. We have been on trips over over 100 days and we are comfortable.

If we ever wanted to move up a size to a 27 or 28, it would be a difficult choice. I really like the couch seating in the 28. I also like the dinette seating at the back of the 27. You always have the best outside view from that position. The guest sleeping arrangement is much better in the 28. The 27 has the best tank capacities.

It's a real toss-up. Both are great floor plans.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We have owned 3 different floorplans on different year 25's, before purchasing a new 2017 28' FC Twin. Consider the 28' for reasons mentioned, and the "twin" model for the additional inside/outside storage in addition to the room to change inside between beds...not cramped when making the bed or moving around the bedroom area. (and of course, don't forget the 8" total more sleeping surface than the 60" queen!) But, also consider the following:
1) 27' and 25' pretty much same lounge area; not ideal for watching TV vs the 28' L-couch lounge. We tired of this in our 25's and it was a major reason for not getting the 27'. The "separate" dinning area and couch are very nice in the 28'.
2) The FC model has 2 more storage compartments above the dinning table. International does not have this, nor does the 27.
3) The 28' is actually 27'11"; the 27' is 28'....but what's a silly inch, right!
4) we think the 27 gives you more closet storage inside and a bit more counter space in kitchen, but really, with the twin beds the 28' has 2 hanging closets at the end of the beds, some space to store against the bulkheads there also...we have not been dissapointed with the 28 storage at all..

Since it's your decision, I would suggest going to a dealer that has both and spend some time in each, so you can see which suites you better...they are both nice....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
We have friends who are considering a new Airstream purchase.
. . .
. . . they have asked us for advice . . .
. . .
Thanks for the input!
In my personal opinion . . .

Your friends need to make an appointment, and sit inside the trailers under consideration, for at least a few hours, after first preparing tons of questions for themselves, and then for the sales person, and you.

All the good advice here is simply helping your friends get to first base in this process.

Dropping a couple hundred thousand deserves many hours of time, and a careful personal inspection IMO.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Your friends need to make an appointment, and sit inside the trailers under consideration, for at least a few hours, after first preparing tons of questions for themselves, and then for the sales person, and you.

All the good advice here is simply helping your friends get to first base in this process.

Dropping a couple hundred thousand deserves many hours of time, and a careful personal inspection IMO.
Agreed, but what's the harm in getting first hand advice from those who have experienced these size trailers? Already seen some great points so far. Gypsydad's response was excellent because he has experienced it, and just the kind of info that I will pass to them. Peter you are right in that there is no substitute for touching, feeling, and seeing the real thing, but with inventory so short right now, that may not be possible for quite a while. We bought our trailer completely sight unseen,(it was ordered) based strictly on info from the dealer and from this forum and are happy with our decision so far.
Also you may be a little off on your dollar amount on these trailers by about $100k.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
The floor plans really don’t do the feel of the trailers justice. When we bought our FBQ 27 International Serenity we spent time on all the options pre Covid. One just felt right. There were things we liked and disliked about all of the models but for us we quickly knew which plan would be ours. Now admittedly we have owned and liven on multiple sailboats so we understand small space living. They really do need to see the options and sit/lay down on the bed etc. also where how things are stored are different and may make or break one model. YMMV

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Agreed, but what's the harm in getting first hand advice from those who have experienced these size trailers?
. . .
No harm whatsoever . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
All the good advice here is simply helping your friends get to first base . . .
. . .
Old 02-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
I can't say it any better than gypsydad. We were looking at the 27 and 28. We preferred the separate couch and dinette table and that the couch faced the television. Once we settled on the 28, we then went back and forth between FC and Intl. We were in and out of both several times before we noticed the additional cabinets over the dinette in the FC and liked that. 28 RBQ FC is where we landed.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , AZ
We lucked into getting a used 28 foot FC which was our first choice because of the separate dinette and lounge areas. National park limits are usualy 30 feet and under, so should be OK. We also like the modern lines and extra storage in the FC vs. some of the other models.
vwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
We chose the 28’ because we like the lounge area. It gives me a place to take a nap on the couch, and we can sit, put our feet up on an ottoman and watch TV without crimping our necks to the side.

We also like the separate dinette area. While I’m laying on the couch or messing with my computer my wife can be messing in the kitchen and using the dining table.

We chose the International Serenity because we liked the ultra leather and the more light and airy feeling of the International decor. We also like the sliding opaque doors with the lights. Don’t have to worry about hinges and doors coming open.

Also if we have a few grandkids stay with us we have the extra bed with the couch quickly rearranged.

I also like the rear bedroom, because the storage area is in the rear compartment. With the Propride hitch it would be problematic to get to things in and out if it was in the front.

It also seemed like there were more windows in the International Serenity.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb Another idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I would suggest going to a dealer that has both and spend some time in each, so you can see which suites you better...they are both nice....
Since dealers are low on stock right now, another thought is to reach out to your local Airstream Club Unit. I know with Covid protocol still in effect, there may not be rallies per se, but there may be members within the unit that already have the model floor plans you are considering and wouldn't mind showing off "their babies". A year or two older isn't going to make a big difference in layout - maybe finishes, but the basic layouts don't change too much year to year for the most part. This could give your friends a better feel for the space & layout that's best for them.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:01 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
do you think that the 28' just 'feels' bigger?
that's the way it looks online
Maybe, the layout just felt better for us. We really liked the north/south orientation for the queen bed and the overall layout just felt right on the 28. The 27 & 28 are essentially the same length so you give up something you like no matter what choice you make. It is definitely a personal decision as not everyone likes the same flavor of ice cream but most people like ice cream. There are no bad choices. We struggled with the decision until we actually saw the differences with our own eyes. It’s hard to explain because our decision wasn’t based solely on comparative specifications but also on what felt best for us. When we walked into the 28 FC, we knew it felt right for us. With the separate dining area from the lounging area it felt more like a home to us. This is our first AS so I’m sure we will find things we like and some things we wish we had different but life is always about choices. Do your homework, make your decision and move on.
Pappy3393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
After an almost 3-year study and prep for an RV purchase, I went to my local Airstream dealer with a flush bank account, ready to purchase a 27-foot Globetrotter or Serenity. Two things happened at the dealership - the sales person mentioned to me that basically, all Airstreams are Flying Clouds with different trim levels, and why not look at those on the lot? After seeing a Flying Cloud 26, with it's full one-side bathroom I was hooked.
I highly recommend the 26 over any 27, and twin beds for more space and storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-1000x1000-3f985e20c30ef0b298c0924731846396.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	388981  
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
After an almost 3-year study and prep for an RV purchase, I went to my local Airstream dealer with a flush bank account, ready to purchase a 27-foot Globetrotter or Serenity. Two things happened at the dealership - the sales person mentioned to me that basically, all Airstreams are Flying Clouds with different trim levels, and why not look at those on the lot? After seeing a Flying Cloud 26, with it's full one-side bathroom I was hooked.
I highly recommend the 26 over any 27, and twin beds for more space and storage.
I agree.
I'm not a fan of dinettes, so the 26 works for me. I have the queen, and there's a lot of disadvantages (like reaching the overhead cabinets) but I don't think I'd like the twins. I'd certainly give them a big test though.
If I ever trade, I'd go to a classic 30 because of the sofa and open floor. Sitting on square foam blocks is never as comfortable as real furniture, IMO.
Too bad AS did away with the Classic 25.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post

I too hate dinettes and wife and I snuggle so twin beds are not an option, 27 gives you centerline queen, I also prefer separate shower from toilet as two people can be doing different get dressed chores..

That’s why the different models, you can get the one that works for you...

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We have the 27FB. If we were doing it all over, we would have opted for the 28. Really like the Ushaped dinette. Cant get comfy trying to watch TV in the 27.