Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
23FB - international vs Flying Cloud and other options

I sold my Class A MH a couple weeks ago and am now starting to look at the trailer market and find that AS seems to be the highest quality by far (although not perfect . I looking I find that I really like the 23FB but really don't like the price tag right now... So, a couple of questions:

1. How long as this floor plan been offered?
2. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the International vs the Flying Cloud or other models? The largest differences that I noticed are the dinette seats/storage and the sliding glass doors vs wood doors on the cabinets.

Thanks!
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I believe the 23FB was the successor to the 22 series... of which I own the last year they were made in 2006. I don't know if there was a gap between series...

The differences are mainly in appearance and materials (if you are looking at the same floor plan). The Flying Cloud is your woodgrain finishes where the Internationals are the solid finishes... it really depends on what you like...

Shop around for a good deal on a new one, or maybe even a used one... it isn't uncommon for people to start with the slightly smaller ones, and end up going to a 25' or bigger once they get into it.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The 23FB was first offered in 2008 as a Safari SE. 2009 it was rebadged as Flying Cloud.

I believe they built International Serenity and CCD versions starting in 2011.

This appears to have been a pretty popular floor plan, so keep your eye open for a used one. I've seen some listed in the high $30k range. Good luck with the search!

Tom
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
When we purchased our trailer, we faced the same questions as you.

I called Airstream and asked about the differences between the two. Aside from cosmetics, they're essentially the same; it's just a matter of personal taste.

For the two of us this choice is near perfect. Of course a lounge would make things a little more comfy. That aside, we're very happy.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
I appreciate the info, I didn't know if there was some difference between the two (such as the dinette) that people found to be much easier to use on a day to day basis that became more significant over time.

I would love to have a 25, it is my favorite layout, buy I have chosen to stick with the X5 as my tow vehicle, which limits me to a 6k AS. Even though the dealer has a customer towing a 27 with their X5 and teased me about being an engineer if I cared about the numbers. Without any weight and balance charts. I am jumping to the conclusion that as you load the AS the tongue weight goes up because most of the weight is equal to or in front of the axles.

I really like the newer aluminum interior walls and such, so I haven't really considered trying to see if an older 25 would be light enough for my X5.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
In the end, I too, decided on the 23 because of the tow vehicle and tongue weight.

As far as being able to tow something larger, a call to some of the more reputable dealers, will convince you that you're about at the limit with what you've got with the BMW.

If we ever decide to go larger, I will have to kiss our SUV goodbye.

2011 23 FC FB
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
It is just the two of us, so 23 is plenty for vacations and such. In 20 years....maybe I will need larger one Smaller would be nice in some ways, but two people and a standard poodle don't fit in the smaller beds.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
In my opinion, the 23FB is just about as close to perfect for a couple.

And their pooch, of course!

2011 23 FC FB
Old 07-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I agree wirh Murrey. We were set to get an 11 23fb when we saw a 12 25fb at a fire sale that was 2000 cheaper. I would have been more than satisfied with the 23fb. Having said that I love the 25. Wider, the dinette seats 4 comfortably, the bathroom is right next to the sleeping quarters and the lounge is nice. It did force us into a new TV though, so maybe my savings were only imaginary. Good luck and have fun.

Dan
Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
There are several folks on these forums towing 30' trailers with either an X5 or a GL, including Rich Luhr of Airstream Life towing his 30' bunkhouse. If you really want a 25', I would research that more before thinking that it can't be done safely.

At the very least, give Andy Thomson at CanAm RV a call. He is a towing guru and has outfitted an amazing variety of vehicles, plus he is a very helpful resource (Andrew T on the forums). He doesn't really even have much he could gain financially from you, since he says the X5 has a very stout hitch from the factory that doesn't need reinforcement.

We actually chose a 23' because we wanted the shorter, narrower trailer for the tight sites we use. But beyond that, a 25' is a whole other world of space...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
We trad-in our 20' safari for 23 FB Serenity, for the following reasons:
1. Walk-around bed was great with panaramic windows
2. Not too long and or wide which make it easy to tow and easier in tight camping space. As a matter of fact when we make reservation we tell them it is 20' long. All the box trailers length is measure with out bumpers and tow section. In other words just the lenght of body only.
3. Tank sizes pretty much same as the 25' or 27'
4. I could use my Lexus GX470 as a tow vehicle
5. The first time we walked into the Serenity we fell in love. Light color interior make it look very spacious. We did not care for CCD which is black interior. Our second choice was FC.
6. The bathroom at one end and layout was on of the best feature in 23' FB.
7. After agreeing on the final price, I convinced the dealer to throw-in a 50 Watt Solar System without cost to seal the deal.
8. In our case tandem axcel was another plus compare to 20' Safari.
Good luck on your decision, what ever you decide 23 or 25 you will not be dissapointed
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc View Post
I sold my Class A MH a couple weeks ago and am now starting to look at the trailer market and find that AS seems to be the highest quality by far (although not perfect . I looking I find that I really like the 23FB but really don't like the price tag right now... So, a couple of questions:

1. How long as this floor plan been offered?
2. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the International vs the Flying Cloud or other models? The largest differences that I noticed are the dinette seats/storage and the sliding glass doors vs wood doors on the cabinets.

Thanks!
The INTL's upper cabinets with sliding doors are a touch larger than the Flying cloud with the swing out (fake) wood doors. You get one large compartment with the sliders, on the FC each door is a separate cabinet so bigger bulky items like a mattress topper or quilt will fit better in the big single unit. Internationals have bare walls - a bit colder in winter. It's a style thing more than anything else.

Choose what you like - and look for gently used.

Happy trails, Paula
Old 04-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
International VS Flying Cloud

Not sure if this exactly following this older thread, but I need some advice on International decor vs FC. We are looking at the 2014 25FB trading up from our 08 Safari SE. The main reason we are looking International in the counter top colours with the "Leather" (we have dogs and cats). In the FC you get a dark green that I don't think goes well and in the international,a much better match.
Not the best reason,but personal issues dictate a lighter colour countertop.
Are the lighted cabinets worth the extra?The shades vs Blinds? As far as I can see those are really the main differences.
The biggest issue is price as Airstream in their proffit scheme charge a difference of almost $8000 to go from the 25FB FC to the international (2014 prices),but in the 23 and 27 the diference is closer to $2500.
Does anyone know if A/S would put tha International Countertops in the FC?
Is the international worth the extra besides the fact that it is so classy?
George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The differences are style, except the upper cabinets which open differently. The FC is available with light countertops as one of the standard decor options.

I think of FC as Mid-Century Modern, Int'l as Ultra-Modern, and Classic as traditional styles. We used the price difference to load our FC with every option they have, all of which make it a better looking and functioning trailer.

Although we like the looks and light control of the window blinds, some may prefer the shades in the bedroom; the same exact shade is available as aftermarket.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Thanks. After I sent the thread off, I got confirmation that you could indeed get the Mica countertops with the Ultra Leather.
The blinds were another point too. I was wondering about the light filtering of the shades vs blinds. More of a cleaning issue.
The lighted cabinets would be a plus for my wife's vision issues. Any negatives and/or positives to the different cabinet styles?
George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeikle View Post
Not sure if this exactly following this older thread, but I need some advice on International decor vs FC. We are looking at the 2014 25FB trading up from our 08 Safari SE. The main reason we are looking International in the counter top colours with the "Leather" (we have dogs and cats). In the FC you get a dark green that I don't think goes well and in the international,a much better match.
Not the best reason,but personal issues dictate a lighter colour countertop.
Are the lighted cabinets worth the extra?The shades vs Blinds? As far as I can see those are really the main differences.
The biggest issue is price as Airstream in their proffit scheme charge a difference of almost $8000 to go from the 25FB FC to the international (2014 prices),but in the 23 and 27 the diference is closer to $2500.
Does anyone know if A/S would put tha International Countertops in the FC?
Is the international worth the extra besides the fact that it is so classy?
George
The 14's won't be offering the "corian" counter tops in the FC. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 2015. I have 14's coming in daily and I really like the new look.
Skylar is offline   Reply With Quote