Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 16' International
Wallace , Michigan
2011 16' International

We are interested in opinions about which SUV is able to pull and stop our new 16' international. Any experiences, good or bad to share with us?

Thank you.....
Sandra F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
I kinow a guy with a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 he pulls a 23fb with his. Nice SUV and it doesn't breath hard while towing. Without the trailer he gets mid 20's for mileage on the highway, mid teens with the trailer. The new Jeep V6 is a killer engine.
SoCal Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Love our 16ft...got it this summer and have used it at least twice a month even in the winter. We have two cars we use to pull it...a BMW X5 which is a V8 so has plenty of power, and a mid size Nissan Frontier, which is a V6. For us it was nice not having to buy a full sized truck to pull with....and the fact that we could also pull with our SUV was a big bonus.

Good luck with your search!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I tow a similar weight trailer with my Honda Odyssey minivan. It is a very stable towing platform; I've towed about 10,000 miles with an Odyssey. Have also used a Ford Flex/Lincoln MKT, Grand Cherokee V6, and a Dodge Durango V6 and V8.

All very nice, with the Ecoboost Ford and Lincoln being my favorite (mostly due to their power.) I don't doubt that Valmog's X5 and Frontier do a fabulous job as well.

In other words, you have plenty of choices. Just spend some time and do some research (Andy Thomson has a great series of articles in Airstream Life) on setting up the hitch, weight distribution, and anti-sway well.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Tom...actually I miss our minivan...for us, it was the ultimate road trip vehicle while our kids were growing up. Think it work be a great TV as well because I could use it for a little extra storage. I've seen a few people here on the forums now that tow with minivans, and I think it's great I miss ours!

The Small Small Trailer
Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I would stick with something solid rear axle

I am sure mini van can tow safari but international is really pushing it's limits. Jeeps are good platform lots of accessories and parts available shocks,springs you name it. The new pentastar motor in jeep lineup is killer, so are diesels. Think dodge nitro and jeep liberty will be getting diesel option later this year also dakota. My older diesel liberty yanks 16foot international though I do feel it in suspension and motor does labor little bit to get to 65. Not bad though and is good match, 300 pounds torque at low rpm is ticket. Even in heavy winds I could pull it and maybe do some serious damage rip it apart. Waiting to try towing with equilizer hitch see if experience will improve. My nissan frontier has better suspension than jeep but diesel motor gets way way better mileage and is easier yanking. To tow safely you need decent tires not p metric one blow out and you will wish you had better tv. I just got new tires for jeep then week later purchased bambi. I might go back and get some decent bfg ko's load range c.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
I just acquired my 2008 Bambi DWR and towed it 1400 miles to get it home with my Toyota FJ Cruiser. I was able to do 55-65 in the mountains of Virginia and 65-75 everywhere else. I will use the AS as a base camp for my off-road photo adventures.

[IMG][/IMG]
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
That is awesome....is that a tent propped up there! I think the fun colors of the FJ Cruisers look great with the Bambis! My husband was too tall to see out of it very well since the windshield is short, or else that would have been our first choice of a TV. BTW, the DWR has always been my favorite!

The Small Small Trailer
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I have been towing my 2006 16' Quiksilver Bambi with a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel with tow package installed. I love the combo and have traveled approx. 10,000 miles with the pair. I did not want to have a daily car, and a tow vehicle. The Liberty Diesel has been perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi and Liberty.jpg
Views:	1253
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	151822  
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Pretty much any V6 SUV is going to do fine with a Bambi. Get something with a tow package from the factory, which will usually include a transmission cooler and the proper hitch and harness for the trailer.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
I am sure mini van can tow safari but international is really pushing it's limits. Jeeps are good platform lots of accessories and parts available shocks,springs you name it. The new pentastar motor in jeep lineup is killer, so are diesels. Think dodge nitro and jeep liberty will be getting diesel option later this year also dakota.
Given that the difference between a Safari or Sport 16' and a International 16' is something like 250 pounds, that weight won't make a bit of difference in towing.

Andy Thomson of CanAm RV, who has set up and driven 1000s of tow vehicle combinations, is keen on the advantages of independent rear suspension for towing. They handle better. Not that solid rear axles can't work (obviously) but they don't serve an advantage.

The Nitro and Liberty are getting replaced soon by a car-based SUV on a Fiat-shared platform. Dakota is out of production; Chrysler has rumored that they might bring out a unibodied Honda Ridgeline-like truck as a replacement. Grand Cherokee will get a diesel next year, and it would make sense that the Durango platform-mate would follow at some point.

Tom
Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmog View Post
Tom...actually I miss our minivan...for us, it was the ultimate road trip vehicle while our kids were growing up. Think it work be a great TV as well because I could use it for a little extra storage. I've seen a few people here on the forums now that tow with minivans, and I think it's great I miss ours!
LOL! I understand completely. We kept ours because it's so easy. Easy to load kayaks, so much space inside. Has more payload weight capacity than some 1/2-ton trucks.

We could certainly get something else (instead of borrowing it from the office), but chose to stick with the van. Towing with the other vehicles I listed is easier though as their towing packages are plug-and-play with hitching and brake controller set-up.

Tom
Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Orem , Utah
Love the picture spen

Not quite that Gwagon Geldwagen Mercedes pulling new bambi but pretty cool!

Here is video at youtube this is tow vehicle to get!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #14

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We have a VW Tourareg and love it! We tow a 19' Bambi and went with the V8 but a V6 TDI or gas would pull the 16' like a dream.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
Yes, its a roof top tent made in Italy. I have had it for two years and use it to sleep in when I am in the backcountry. I am looking forward to spending time in 'the ritz' on those rainy/snowy days when I was stuck in the little roof top tent or had to get a motel.
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Orem , Utah
V6 lol who wants that

No the Diesel in 2005 Jeep is 4 cyl with turbo, straight 6 motor 4.0 in older jeeps is no v6. You could not pull my trailer with honda mini van! The old trailers are light and very much like light weight fishing boat. Some best motors ever developed straight like BMW 2.8, jeep buick 4.0. Hey spen can I get better picture of your trailer and jeep equalizer hitch.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
You could not pull my trailer with honda mini van! The old trailers are light and very much like light weight fishing boat.
Think what you want, but don't give others advice that isn't true. I could EASILY pull your 16' trailer with my Honda minivan. Your Jeep has 160 hp and 295 lbft of torque. My Odyssey has 244 hp and 240 lbft of torque. You'll get the trailer launched a bit easier, but I'll yank it along quicker. And my trailer weighs all of 300 pounds less than yours, dry weight.

There are folks on this forum pulling a new 28' Serenity International with a Toyota Sienna, and another pulling a modern 22' Sport with a Honda Ridgeline (same engine as my van.) I'm glad you like your Liberty diesel, but you're going way too far in dismissing other tow vehicles.

LOL - yeah, who would want one of those V6s, like the new Pentastar V6 in the Grand Cherokee, or the twin-turbo Ford Ecoboost V6.

Tom
Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Orem , Utah
I am not saying your honda can not pull it

Can it do it safely no. You have p metric tires on Honda correct. Far as I know you can not get C or D rated tires unless you step up truck tires. Also your Honda is FWD that in it's self is bad tow vehicle. There is video of Gwagon Mercedes pulling bambi 16ft modern trailer and the suspension is low on that vehicle I would suspect yours would bottom out on every bump. Mercedes is $150k vehicle. But yes you could drag it around slowly with Honda the motor is more than capable. But do not go around telling others it's right tow vehicle for modern trailer lol. Honda Pilot is rated to tow have seen few pulling 20ft fiberglass boats. I am going to look up tow rating of Honda mini van if I was guess tops 3500pounds that right there is to low with my trailer. Mines rated 5000 and barely enough suspension. Also figure you add another 500 pounds of ice chests,camping gear,batteries,food that's 4300 pounds give or take. Even with full size 250 you would feel it. Also comparing gas motor to turbo diesel is silly. One is made for work how much torque does yours make at 1500 rpm lol. Just do not go pink slips you will be shocked

Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Orem , Utah
I did look up tow rating on mercedes 7000

The price also has gone down 100k for gas v8 and add $20k for AMG. They did offer diesel years ago and pretty sure that one was over 150k. Hardly any around. Honda was 3500 like I guessed(unless you have some AWD model), also add receiver hitch on your vehicle 65 plus equalizer 65. You are grossly under rated, most suggest having around 20 percent over capacity. I followed Ridgeline before I bought my Nissan and people who tow with them understand there faults. Honda is not real truck with solid frame, transfer case or axle and humps down in rear without hitting any bumps. It would be fine for my boat but not the new trailer. Also I do my home work before posting or buying vehicle!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Pretty much any V6 SUV is going to do fine with a Bambi. Get something with a tow package from the factory, which will usually include a transmission cooler and the proper hitch and harness for the trailer.
We recently traded off a 16 - but for us the TV consideration was not so much what we could tow, but rather what combination of TT/TV would allow us to maintain safe control of both units ... especially noting the transmission temperature going uphill and braking capacity on long down hills. If you keep it slow you will reduce the wear and tear on both the AS and the TV (as well as yourself). If your TV is not factory equipped with a tow pkg, you can add most of the equipment to bring it up to spec. In out case, that meant to also add a transmission temp guage to a TV and not have to rely on just the idiot light; that way we could adjust our driving to meet conditions and the rising trans temp *** before it got into a danger zone.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16' international