Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
jim-- it's my understanding the reason the propane detector remains on is that unless it is it will become inoperative due to foreign materal collecting on it's sensor. That said, I have found that left connected it will completely discharge a single group 24 battery in about 30 days. Also I have disconnected mine in the last 2 trailers when parking for extended periods of time with no aparent problems.---pieman
Just read your line on the propoane detector. Since I am rather new at this can you tell me how it is turned off? I wasn't aware it could be turned off. Since I left my AS in Arizona for the winter I may already have dead batteries.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Wooded-- We have an 06/30'Classic and the wiring is exactly like our previous 05/25' Classic. That said on both of these there is an inline fuse holder at the area near the converter.The fuse holder has orange wires but thats not the color of the wires going to sensor. As far as I can see it's the only fuse holder there. Pull the fuse and see if the monitor lamp on the sensor goes out. Then you know you have it turned off. If there happens to be no fuse to remove you could always put a remote toggle switch in the power supply wire to it. ----piman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
We took delivery of our 2007 34' Classic in early January and have been on the road with it ever since. Starting in South Texas and are now in Long Beach Washington for a few months. So far, we have had no quality issues to report on. This is our fourth new AS, and we really do love the fit and finish of this one! Had a cracked light fixture cover, which was replaced quickly by the dealer via FedEx. The only other problem was a brake line leak on the road which may have been caused by a road hazard. Pecos Pete
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Mike
Thanks. Since I left my AS in Arizona and I am in Illinois, I wouldn't be surprised to find some dead batteries. I will be there in 3 weeks and will look for the fuse holder. It would make a lot of sense for AS to have one switch that shuts down the entire system for periods of storage, etc.I find my AS to be a little primative given the fact that it is 2007.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
2007 Safari SE FB

Just picked it up on Wednesday, April 4th. Brought it home from the dealer, about 400 miles over 5 days. Absolutely no problems. Everything works and fit and finish are excellent.

When we owned a MH, I was told that the dealer is almost as important as the Manufacturer when it comes to a quality delivered product. I agree. We had a great dealer that did a great prep. and walk thru for over 2 hours.

John

PS The dealer is Sutton RV in Eugene, OR
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #66
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Certain possible issues with the exterior finishes have come to light and I would suggest that you read this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ues-31743.html
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
2007 Safari SE quality

OK, we've had our shake down cruise with our 2007 20' SafariSE. I'd like to compalin about.......basically nothing. Everything works, it pulls easily and we love it.

OK, I'll be really picky (my forte) and give you a few minor items:

The bathroom faucet was loose and I tightened it by hand in 30 seconds.

One cabinet latch had screws that were stripped. I replaced them with slightly longer screws.

A halogen bulb blew out and I replaced it with one I found at my local hardware store.

I'm not sure I'm wild about the A/C (11,500) it seemed a bit weak when I used it, but my wife said it did just fine for her.

My biggest complaint is the amount of metal debris from manufacturing. I had to vacuum every nook and cranny before we left and driving shook out a whole bunch more.

It poured one day and the only thing that took on water was an open window and some rain seemed to find it's way into the vent for the stove exhaust. I think that's because the vent is angled back a bit as it sits right where the body starts curving. I'm thinking of extenting the vent cover an inch or so.

Now for my MAJOR modifications:

I used clear plastic corner guards to make a retaining lip at the edge of each shelf in the medicine cabinet. Keeps things from falling out every time I open the door.

I used some small diameter rubber tubing between the frame and the LP tank enclosure beacuse I didn't like the metal-on-metal situation. It was already wearing the paint and would rust soon. I slit the tubing and put it over the edge of the LP tank cover.

How's that for anal?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam

Now for my MAJOR modifications:

I used clear plastic corner guards to make a retaining lip at the edge of each shelf in the medicine cabinet. Keeps things from falling out every time I open the door.

I used some small diameter rubber tubing between the frame and the LP tank enclosure beacuse I didn't like the metal-on-metal situation. It was already wearing the paint and would rust soon. I slit the tubing and put it over the edge of the LP tank cover.

How's that for anal?
Great to hear all the good news..but anal?....you are just beginning the first stages of aluminitus.....it gets much worse as evidenced by many of the members on this forum...
Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

Its telling to see your comments about metal shavings and dust. This goes back at least 5-6 years and is indicative of the attitude of AS. Worse, sometime around 2004 they supposedly hired a QA/QC manager. Lets give this guy a big raise! Sweeping up before selling a 60K+ trailer would be some entry-level QC. I frankly do not believe AS cares. Not about the dirt/dust, the fan noise, the caulking in the bathroom, the refer door, the cabinets, the clear coat, the wiring, screws under the floor, the laminate, leaks, axles, vendors, stereo or tv systems, system monitor, ........

Has anyone out there ever actually spoken to anyone at AS responsible for quality control?
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
This is actually a combo post for both the "07 Quality" and "On the Road" threads.
We're on the road right now, completing our first real journey in our 07 25' Safari SE LS FB etc...We hit the Oregon coast from central CA and every bit of our time on the road has been terrific. As far as the actual road trip is concerned: Timing is everything. We headed out from Santa Cruz to our daughter's graduation in the East Bay and had great fun staying in a deserted dorm parking lot.
Then we headed over the Richmond Bridge at at little before 6 AM and had "the maze" almost to ourselves. After wending our way north with ease (waving at the River Road exit to fond memorie of Casini...) with our silver condo tucking and rolling right along with us, we landed at Benbow RV park, a very comfy "en route" stay.
Then North to Oregon. Gorgeous, wonderful, easy roads, and great parks. We've towed through sun, wind, rain squalls, beaucoup logging trucks, and enough blinding white SOBs to ruin your sight for life, with nary a sway.
No leaks, no doors and drawers flying open, no unsavory odors, no storage or space problems. The shower hasn't backed up, the covers are staying on the beds, and the mattresses aren't slipping (we have twins.) The dinette has converted to the perfect CD viewing area and we don't think any place could be more comfortable or suit us better. Our 3 small dogs have adapted beautifully and know just where they can go, and it never includes the bedroom.
Happy trails to all. We're loving this Airstream life.
A few photos of the expediton.
Janet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0441.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	38725   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0416.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	38726  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0402.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	38727   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0394_2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	38728  

janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Janet fantastic pictures! They are just gorgeous!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Wow

Janet,

Awesome pictures

Keep having fun...wish we could be there.

John and Cat
Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
This is actually a combo post for both the "07 Quality" and "On the Road" threads.

Beautiful Pictures~keep em coming, we're planning the OR/WA trip next year.

We've had our '07 for 4/5 months, nothing to complain about, just some little stuff the dealer fixed. (I think A/S counts on their dealers to really prep and QC the trailers.)

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks! Terry's loving the Oregon photo-ops.
One thing we've noticed on the road is the need for another towel hook or rack. We've already added one to the side of the wardrobe cabinet in the bedroom, and an extra hook in the corner by the toilet in the bath, but I'd like the towel ring that I've seen in the new Ocean Breeze models. Was ours supposed to come with one? I'd love to get the placement measurements from someone who has one (hi Leslie) so we can install something ourselves.
We've also had a few relatively minor issues but nothing that's interfered with our traveling enjoyment or safety, thank goodness. We fixed/changed a few things ourselves, but we also have a list going for the dealer. Toscano RV in Los Banos did a very thorough prep, and it does seem that A/S relies heavily on its dealers to get things in order.
Janet
Old 06-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Didn't intend to hijack the thread with so much "on the road" stuff!
About those minor issues:
I'd like to stress that the dealer is a real QC adjunct for Airstream. We had a tiny bit of metal debris to clean up when we got home, but very little else showed up right away.
However, once we started driving on rough roads and doing actual camping, issues did arise, as we had been advised they would by our beloved Forum mentors.
Some things we've noticed, and will put on our dealer list:
~A few rivets disappeared, including one from the interior skin above the door, and one on the trim of the outside forward hatch on the right.
~The cook top lid has very sharp edges that have gouged and scratched the wall the first time we used it. A couple of protective bumpers would have made a huge difference.
~The funky "European" hinges for both under bed cabinet on the L twin side came apart first trip.
~The handle on the cabinet under the dinette falls out of its slot.
~The flooring in that same cabinet is in a sorry state. Looks like they didn't have quite enough to make it to the corner. It buckles and doesn't cover the entire space.
~There is an inside corner of the lav next to the toilet where the wall material doesn't meet and leaves a gap.
~The entry door has to be slammed to close securely. It is an awkward fit that we remedied somewhat with some filing.
~A valve behind the toilet was tweaked and leaked but was fairly easy to replace.
~The right front stabilizer has a corroded foot, probably secondary to a reaction from water dripping off the copper tubing just above it.
But, again, these are not issues that have affected our use and enjoyment or the safety of the trailer, and we are confident they can be fixed under warranty by the dealer. We also realize the list will grow.
Not on the list are all those silly learner errors, including remembering to actually open vents before turning on fans, learning what to store where to avoid the bounce effect, using really good dissolving toilet paper, bringing enough wine, etc. etc.
That list also grows!
Janet
Old 06-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #76
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Janet,
I was wondering when you got back from your trip. Looks like you enjoyed it. I hope to finish my trip up the coast next spring. It was beautiful. Can't wait!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Michelle, spring is a great time to do the coast. Rhododendrons and azaleas in bloom everywhere and it's like driving through botanical gardens. And then theres that amazing ocean.
We noticed some fairly long rigs in most of the state park campsites, so I'm sure you could do most of them with a little planning.
In the meantime, be careful out--UP!--there!
Janet
PS Finally got a "Flush King." Oh boy! In keeping with this thread, that built-in flusher just doesn't compare. It's very weak and takes forever.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #78
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Ah the flush king. It is a marvolous thing. The built in flusher should be ditched. I turned right a FLorence, OR to hit Sutton in Eugene. I should have kept going. I want to continue up through Astoria into Washington State to Port Angeles. WIth a finish in the San Juans. Hopefully we will get enough done to the airplanes after the season that I can come back a couple of weks later.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
2007 23ft Safari SE

Approaching my first year of ownership in the next couple of weeks. Have not had the Airstream back to the dealership yet, but will have to by the end of the season. The main issues are the furnace does not work, lights once in 20 or 30 trys, only when the temperature is above 50 it seems. Also the gas won't light on the fridge. Not a big deal as I camp with full hookups, but would like it to work since I paid for it. The trim molding along the kitchen sink baptismal as some call it pealed about a foot and a half worth. Had to secure that myself or it would have broken. Very thin laminate. The privacy door (accordian) does not latch. I am sure the dealer will be able to address these problems. All and all we like the trailer.

Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
mickleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Rusty stone guard on 2 month old Safari

I recall others complaining about rusty stone guards on their 2007 Safari but I could not find the thread (darn search engine).

I emailed customer service at AS about the fine coating of rust all over the left front stone guard. It looks really bad up close but at least from a distance it just looks dirty

As far as I am concerned I got a MUCH less than satisfactory response :

"The wrap protectors are stainless steel and we use White Diamond stainless steel polish and cleaner. Any good stainless steel polish should protect the wrap protectors."

Strange how my stainless steel BBQ has NO rust after 4 years outside but my $50k AS has rust after 2 months. I find this really frustrating. Does anyone else have problems with the front stone guards?
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote