Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2006, 07:35 AM   #81
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Frame

Yea really or something at least to help it rust slower.I guess living on the beach is not really helping it out much either.
I wash down the Airstream once a week(Unless it rains)so I wont have problems like this earlier than expected.You just have to do what you gotta do and roll with it unless Airstream will galvanize the frame when building it for you if they are willing to do that sort of thing.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #82
Craftsman

Although the undersides of an Airstream are covered in aluminum to keep the elements out, any moisture that gets inside is likewise trapped . I wonder if the ducted hot air around the holding tank dries out any trapped moisture?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:36 AM   #83
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Although the undersides of an Airstream are covered in aluminum to keep the elements out, any moisture that gets inside is likewise trapped . I wonder if the ducted hot air around the holding tank dries out any trapped moisture?
Congratulations on your 500th post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	craftsman500.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	18250  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
2006 Airstream issues

There are many aspects of the Airstream that are admirable but when paying a premium for a product one expects quality construction and components. We have a new 19ft SE Bambi

Issues:
1. Leak over front right window--slow drip in the rain
2. Incompletely caulked shower
3. Bed base not fully fastened to wall
4. Leaky and corroded upper left front running light--poorly fitting lens and inadequate sealant. Amazingly cheap component.

pagoff
pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #85
Craftsman

Thanks, 500 posts......and still learning. Just look at some of the improvements Airstream has made in the last couple of years. Disc brakes, brought back the Vista View windows and retro running lights just to name a few. And.... it seems like they're taking the quality control issue seriously. ( and then they bring out the WBCCI Special edition????? ) I still think they need to find a better designer for the interior fabrics and colors and offer more choices for the cabinet woods.. but hey, things are pretty good and getting better in Airstream land.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #86
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Tempe , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to PunkZTT
Hmm

Don't own one yet but was looking at a 2006 16' CCD model at the AZ RV show last weekend...

The trailer was built like a rock! It had the wrap-around windows int he front and in the back. The exterior seemed very solid and resilient to leaking

The dinette table seemed like it might be delaminating a bit. The edges of the table were rough and sharp. I could easily see the 1" trim piece coming off of the table (the piece that wraps around the entire circumference) sometime in the future. Additionally, the handles on the cabinets were not secured well. In fact, I pulled one of the handles off as I tried to open a drawer (it was glued in). Perhaps this could be due to the fact that thousands of people were climbing into the trailer and opening everything and looking everywhere, but thats a good test for the quality of the unit right? Another thing I thought might be a future problem was the latch that held the door open. It was made out of plastic and had no hard backing. I could see the aluminum siding flex in as I secured the door to the side of the trailer. Has this been a problem for anyone?

Aside from a few aesthetic issues, I was impressed by the workmanship of the unit. THe exterior seemed to be bulletproof. Even though the interior had some minor problems, it was still 1000000 times better than all of the other trailers at the show. Man I was sick of the cheap crappy fiberboard toy-haulers!

I need an airstream!
-James
First Post of many for sure...
PunkZTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #87
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
My '06 19CCD had issues on delivery, and I would up doing them myself as the dealer was 4 hours away. Being an RV tech, the owner of the dealership offered to pay me to fix any problems rather than have his overburdened service department do it. SO I DID, and he did

The A-frame around the battery box was showing signs of rust: sanded, primed and re-painted with A/S grey. Curb side Vista window had a leak and the dealer did a very sloppy job of re-sealing it: removed all of the old SikaFlex and caulked it properly, plus removed the Vista panels and re-caulked the exterior seams. The vent over the stove was missing the entire light fixture: Dealer ordered me a complete new vent which solved the problem. The front curtains and fabric on the dinette were water stained: Soaked in Wool-ite to remove the stains.

Other than these PDI oversights (pre-delivery inspection) the little beast is very well assembled. I expect to find other issues as I use it, but nothing that would require a trip to JC to have repaired.

OH!......the cute retro marker lights all leaked. It turned out to NOT be a gasket issue. A/S uses plain steel screws and no washers for these lights. The first thing I did was to replace all of the screws with stainless ones and a stainless washer and an o-ring to seal them. No more water problems in the lights!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #88
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Lew, could you post some pics of the seals you used for the marker lights? Any detailed info on the parts involved, sizes, etc would be helpful too. I'm sure lots of folks would love to do this mod since a lot of us have these lights and they all tend to take on water.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #89
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
No Problem!

It won't be for a couple-a days......I don't get over to the little bugger's storage spot during the daylight hours much during the week.

PS: where does one find the directions for posting pics?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #90
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When you post a post to a thread, you can click the manage attachements and add them that way, or you can PM me, we can talk offline, I can get them up on my website--no real size or space limitations.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #91
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
pictures

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Seems so easy. I'll try it soon.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #92
_

. , .
hi lew and others......

congrats on 500 craftsman...just rolled over it here too.

since the furnace air ducting is above the floor/insulation...i don't think in helps dry out the underskin much...otoh....the belly/underskin isn't really sealed tight....lots of open spaces for ventilation...below the floor level and around the framing...

lew...
i replaced all the screws with stainless too but water still gets inside the classic marker light covers....the little white gasket isn't much of a seal...and the blub bases oxidize along with sockets...

not sure how to seal these better, so let's see the pixs!!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #93
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
seals for marker lights

Twink, Air, et al,

Here is my solution for the leaking light syndrome:

OOPS! The file is too big. I'll PM it to Twink and perhaps one who is more computer literate than I can manage to shrink it .

After the pic gets posted, I'll provide the details.

THANKS!
Old 03-04-2006, 05:35 AM   #94
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Lights

Yes..This would be a huge help for a lot of us including myself.Thank You.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #95

2005 19' Safari
Glenview , Illinois
I like the marker light seal proposal. Did you use black plummber seals that are in kits typically found at Home Depot?

Speaking of lights. Does anyone know if the patio and stair lights can be replaced with yellow bug lights? The white light on the stair attracts a lot of bugs.
rufnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #96
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here is Lew's instructions and picture. Thanks Lew!

Match the threads with a stainless bolt.
Find an o-ring that fits snugly (this is most important) over the bolt,
add a stainless washer to complete the sandwich. Tighten down
sufficiently to spread the o-ring and complete the water-tight seal. I did this
about a month ago and after 2 washings....still no water in the lights!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	19009  
Old 03-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #97
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thanks Twink!

I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 03-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #98
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufnit
I like the marker light seal proposal. Did you use black plummber seals that are in kits typically found at Home Depot?

Speaking of lights. Does anyone know if the patio and stair lights can be replaced with yellow bug lights? The white light on the stair attracts a lot of bugs.
rufnit,
Depends on the type and bulb, the older style ones can use the yellow 1141 bulbs (turn signal style) not sure what is on the newer units. Might have to either color the lens or replace it with a different type of light. I have considered rigging up a Thinlite with the yellow diffuser lens to mount on the underside of the awning when it is out...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
Thank you Lew and Silvertwinkie for the solution to leaking marker lights.

I don't mean to complain to or offer suggestions to Airstream but I will--hoping someone there is monitoring this. It would be an enormous service and earn you the good will of your loyal customers if you would send a kit with the parts as outlined by Lew to seal the marker lights. I will be taking my trailer 3 hours to have a corroded light replaced on Tuesday. What a waste of my time and energy and what a commentary on Airstream quality that my trailer was delivered just a month ago.

P.S. I am otherwise reasonably pleased with my purchase.
pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagoff
Thank you Lew and Silvertwinkie for the solution to leaking marker lights.

I don't mean to complain to or offer suggestions to Airstream but I will--hoping someone there is monitoring this. It would be an enormous service and earn you the good will of your loyal customers if you would send a kit with the parts as outlined by Lew to seal the marker lights. I will be taking my trailer 3 hours to have a corroded light replaced on Tuesday. What a waste of my time and energy and what a commentary on Airstream quality that my trailer was delivered just a month ago.
Great idea! You can add leaking shower stalls, unsecured cabinets, disconnected wiring, inoperative electric hitches, leaking roofs, missing rivets, faulty bearings (oops, they got that one), faulty micropulse monitors, and a fw hundred other items you'll find mentioned quite often here. I'm sure AS will get right on it.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote