Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #181
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have the 15k unit with the heat pump and CCS (Comfort Control System). It was one of the off menu options I specifically asked for at the time of build. It was funny, when I asked for it, they said it was too big for a 25' unit. I asked, "then why is it an option (in 2004) for the 25' Classic?" They agreed and installed it for something like a $175 to $200 upcharge. One of the best things I did next to a second fantastic fan.

You can ask any of the midwest folks that attend the rallies, you can hang meat in our Airstream. One year it was hot and humid at the rally and my 15k unit, in auto mode, performed IMHO, at or above my expectations. I've had zero issues with it to date. I'm shocked to read the issues folks are having with it. Though I've only really been around the midwest 90 degree zones, with full or partial sun which might be way different than out west......

In heat pump mode, it again worked flawlessly turning on and off as required. In my understanding the heat pump is pretty worthless in general below say 45 or 50 degrees. As a rule of thumb, once it gets a bit below say, 55 degrees, I select the furnace. This so far has served me well.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #182

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just to clarify the thermostat when set to auto mode will only run the fan on high speed when the set point is 10 degreees lower than the inside temperatures. That's pretty useless in hot climes since the low speed on the fan will lose ground in keeping the interior cool. We normally only use the auto mode at night or when we are in moderate or shaded climes.

The other issue about the heat pump is that it can freeze up. We were in 45 degree rainy climate last October and found that the outside condensor developed ice which was not taken care of by the defrost cycle, which is built into the heat pump cycle. I came back one evening and found the unit blowing cold air. I went outside and shined a flash light and the coils outside were solid white. While I use the heat pump as my major source of heat, once it gets to rain and down below 45, I change over to the furnace.

I also upgraded my Classic to the 15K unit. The standard 13.5K unit is undersized for 27' trailers and larger, if you camp in temps approaching the upper 90's and in full sun.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #183
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
let there be light..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanvol
Canoe,

The Vista View windows for the 25'FB/SE come installed in the rear around the dinette. The dealer that we have purchased from did not know, so I called the factory to confirm. For an additional $ 1050.00 +/- they will add Vista Views to the front also. Let there be light!!
Alan in SLO
All the FB's that have the added Vista View windows are extremely hot inside from all that added radiant sunlight that beams in. If you live in a hot climate you do not want these windows...
safari05-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #184
Craftsman

I think that you want these windows where ever you are. The Vista Views have shades that keep out the heat and they allow nice light to filter in on overcast days. You can also pull your shades at night and leave the Vista View shade open. I like them so much I had the factory add the to the bedroom in my 2007 Classic 25. don't leave home without them.;-)
Old 10-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrest2
All the FB's that have the added Vista View windows are extremely hot inside from all that added radiant sunlight that beams in. If you live in a hot climate you do not want these windows...
Like Craftsman said the vista views are very versatile. We don't encounter a lot of hot conditions and really like the added view and light especially in wooded sites. When the sun does try to beat in we put a piece of bubblewrap insulation between the glass and shade, but we have it open more often than closed.

Of course Stonecrest is correct too, every unshaded opening an AS has will let direct sun and heat in if left uncovered. It is a compromise and needs to be assessed by your individual needs and priorities.

Upon rereading the posts I think I was confused. I was thinking of the small window ovals over the regular windows and now I wonder for the $1,000 plus upgrade if the poster was not referring to panoramic wrap windows in the front. We opted for no front wrap to keep the heat, cold and light out of the bedroom, it works too. The bedroom holds it's temperature much longer than the rear dinette with all the glass. However the curtains and shades make a big difference over a single layer of fabric.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #186
Craftsman

No the poster was right: $1000.00+ $500.00 change order. I paid a little more because i got stacked windows in the bedroom too. That meant eliminating the over window cabinet and adding longer drapes and shades.You have to really want them and i got exactly what I wanted.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #187
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yikes! Well I guess they do have to do a lot more work and carefully to install those properly. You surely have a great custom unit. I am green with envy over that over the door light you have. It's so retro cool.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #188
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
I haven't found any problem with excess heat through the vista views (and I live in Texas). I do keep the road side shades closed much of the time, but the curb side is under the awning and pretty much stays open most of the time.

I have a lot more problem with heat through the lounge skylight. With the vista views, I would have omitted the lounge skylight had I not bought off the lot. I would keep the smaller bathroom skylight since it lights the room with the doors closed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:19 PM   #189
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Maxx fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Hi Folks!

"For example, I have replaced the Fantastic fan with a new Maxx Fan unit that can be left open in the rain. I have replaced the stock Parrallax converter with a new WFCO unit. I have changed out the 6 gal. water heater for a RV-500 tankless on-demand unit (required sheet metal work). I am replacing the water pump with a high flow variable speed unit. Basically, I'm adding the best components that I can find for my own comfort and enjoyment even though the ones that Airstream provided work perfectly well!"
Responding to Lewster's quote above: Will you elaborate on the use of a Maxx Fan over a Fantastic fan--pros and cons? Also the same for the converter.. How is the Tankless water heater performing? Thanks, pjpoll
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #190
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
San Diego , California
OK, read 14 pages in one sitting on the 2006's my head is spinning with vicarious problems. We have a 2007 Safari SE 20' coming 12/7. We live in San Diego but dealer is in Draper Utah. From the number of problems incountered by others I guess I can forget the skiing and plan on camping out in the dealer parking lot. I am not going to stop in Vegas, best I save my luck as return to the dealer could be a bit of a problem. Any recomendations for a competent dealer in the Southern Cal area? Also does anyone have experience with the 2007's yet? We need a new thread started
3DogNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 AM   #191
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
We have front and rear Panorama windows. We also boondock in the Ca. & Az. desert. We have not found it to be a heat problem at all. he fronts are covered by tinted stone gaurds and the curtains.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:41 AM   #192
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight
OK, read 14 pages in one sitting on the 2006's my head is spinning with vicarious problems. We have a 2007 Safari SE 20' coming 12/7. We live in San Diego but dealer is in Draper Utah. From the number of problems incountered by others I guess I can forget the skiing and plan on camping out in the dealer parking lot. I am not going to stop in Vegas, best I save my luck as return to the dealer could be a bit of a problem. Any recomendations for a competent dealer in the Southern Cal area? Also does anyone have experience with the 2007's yet? We need a new thread started
Easy now 3Dog, We got a new 07 25Safari FB in Aug. and the only problem we have found is that the black tank sprayer that you use when dumping to rinse the tank is in backwards. No biggie, remove turn around and reinsert.

Remember not every A/S needs attention.

If you do have items that need attention just look on the Airstream website under dealers. Along with dealers are Arstream Authorized repair centers. All these guys do is repair Airstreams new or old.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
3dog--our 06 classic is our 3rd Airstream in as may years. There seems to be a real effort on the companys part to improve their product. Our 06 has had very little compared to our 04. This is not to say they are perfect or you'll never have a problem. I've found Airstream very concerned about customer satisfaction and will do whatever it takes to make you happy. --Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:22 AM   #194

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight
Also does anyone have experience with the 2007's yet? We need a new thread started
That thread is already started! 2007 model year quality thread.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:43 AM   #195
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We purchased our '06 in May and have only had 4 or 5 warranty issues. The two most serious issues were 1) the tank monitors needed calibrating (instructions are in the owner's manual, I understand this can need to be done from time to time down the road, too); and 2) the sewer hose connection cap kept coming off. Other than that there were just a couple of minor fit and finish items that were easily repaired with a tack/neumatic staple and a little laminate glue and all were taken care of at the factory when we had some body damage repaired. We had boo-boos from the start...but they happened after taking delivery: one was my fault and one was a now deceased deer's fault.

So don't go into it expecting a long laundry list of problems. You may have them, but, at the same time, you have a good chance that you won't have any major issues. Just remember, your Airstream is made in a "factory" but it is still a hand made product and as such may have "irregularities". From what I hear, Airstream has no more than any other brand, it's just that people get hung up on the price paid and expectations of perfection for that price. For these folks, their expectations won't be met. For those who understand the quality is in the monocoque shell and that the hand built product will not be flawless, their expectations will be met and their enjoyment of their Airstream will exceed their expectations with each use.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #196
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Anyone else have any data to share on a 2006?
Grey and black holding tank valve labels were reversed. I drilled out rivets and switched them. It was a surprise to dump the wrong tank on the first try.

Caulking on the shower door hinge side was so poor one could see through. Had to recaulk and stabelize it. Lucky to catch it before taking a shower. Check this out with extra light.

Refrig works fine but the front panels kept falling down and blocking the doors. Put double side mirror tape on the backs slid them in and they are holding.

Interior counter caulking left something to be desired. It parted between counters and walls, both kitchen and bath. Recaulked everything to keep water from running down between.

The door fit isn't very good, they corrected it with a double tape spacer...
Just check everything before you take a maiden voyage.
skyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #197
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Purchsed our 16' Bambi Quick Silver in July. Took two shakedown weekend trips prior to a three week trip back to the Midwest. Encountered major rain, high humidity (for us) and heat. Only major problem was a leak by the front door. Notified dealer and he repaired on way back thru. The front awning fixture was not sealed properly (dealer knew what to look for as had happened on a rear fixture on another model). Only other problem was a short piece of molding on dinette seat was coming loose at the end - repaired that myself. Since have taken a 8 day trip (rain included) and no leak or other problem.

Holiday Trailer in Albuquerque, NM is a family owned dealership and TOP Drawer. During first trip all questions were answered by phone call no matter how "dumb" (and I asked some). Maybe the Quick Silver, being a limited model, helped with the quality workmanship - I have my fingers crossed. Really happy with our rig and looking forward to a trip in early Jan.
HOG-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #198

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Hello From Oregon!
We too have a 2006 25' Safari FB SE!
Purchased it in Feb'06/ Big learning curve for Rookie Airstreamers!
Keep in touch... bschnebr@comcast.net / Salem, OR
bschnebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Bathroom walls rebuilt after 6 months

After 6 months of use the bathroom door wouldn't close anymore. There were pretty good gaps around the frame. We had to tie it shut during towing. Oasis RV fixed it. They said some bracing was missing from the factory. It seems much sturdier. We also had them rivet down the bathroom cabinet mirror trim.
K & L
Old 12-22-2006, 10:00 AM   #200

2006 16' International CCD
arden , North Carolina
Thumbs down Bambi Quiksilver 2006

hello,
We have a 2006 Quiksilver Bambi 75th anniversary edition that we bought last christmas and have taken it on around 10 trips since our purchase. We have had to call every trip almost with little questions,some were things we just didnt know but mostly they are problems. The first being the fridge and then the fan in the bathroom, the curtains contiue to stain with two sets from factory. The rivets come out, the shower leaks into floor. We just went to hook up to go today to florida on vacation and the battery wouldnt allow the hitch to rise so there is no backup way to hookup..so at three in the morning we are trying to charge with battery cables to no avail, so i take battery home and we go back to sleep while it charges. We go out again at 930 am in the rain to hook up...ok no problem we are hooked up gas turned on and go to turn the fridge on but no power to the unit... I call again as usual and they walk us through checking the fuses, the voltage the connections outside and then we look to the solenoid under the seat and they said we could over ride the solenoid by putting the connectors on one pole but that doesnt solve the gas issue with the fridge. we try the gas and cant get gas to the stove. they say they have had some bad solenoids and bad regulators...this is just not satisfactory to me. I have spent 46 thousand dollars on this supposed top of the line Airstream that is just a nightmare every time we try to experience camping. I think its poorly made and not consistent at all, however our dealer is accomadating with the issues now under warranty but they are three hours away. I hate this thing and I want my money back so I am going to sale it or maybe they will buy it back who knows, but I sure would not purchase an rv again because this is obviously a market with poor quality workmanship and cheap components. So now that I got that off my chest. I will be offering this brand new bambi for sale soon.
I have made every effort to try and enjoy camping but the bitter taste of poor quality lingers in the air every time I hook up and use this brand new Bambi Quiksilver 2006 75th anniversary edition. I know that man made stuff breaks and I have tried to keep that in check but every time it is something and I am sorry but that is just not acceptable to me when I payed a premium for what I thought was going to be first class quality trailer that has just turned into a huge disappointment. I hope that this helps someone for the future consideration in purchasing an rv from airstream or anyone for that matter because I think they say, they all have problems but airstream is suppose to have less of them. If this is true I must just have a LEMON. Too many problems for me!!
jbird is offline   Reply With Quote