Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Upgrading software...

Sorry for the shot notice, but I need to upgrade the forum software due to a security flaw. I will be working on our site's features over the next 24-36 hours. Please be patient if some template changes have to be fixed.

Ok, we should be good to go with the home "portal" page, forums & classifieds. Working on photos, reviews & links next...

Also, I am thinking about setting up a left column on all pages with links, photos, classified listings, etc & then moving from the fixed width back to full page width. What do you all think?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Ok, we are now running the newest version of the forum software. I will be working on all the little "tweaks" right now...
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Smile

Sounds good to me!

Go for it.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Personally, I like the thread format as it is. I get distracted with photos (I get lost flipping back and forth through the members photos, then their gallery and back to the main page and then "oh look at that!" and I'm off again.)
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Andy,
My monitor is 1920 X 1200, so yes, I could use some more width.

As you can imagine, sometimes small fonts chosen by webmasters are rather tiny at this resolution, so I set the browser to ignore them, and chose the size manually. Even on the medium size font, the header at the top of the page is much wider than the messages below, because it expands in width to fit the larger font of the line beginning with Home and ending with LogOut. The footer below the messages is also wider than the messages.

If you'd like me to take some screen shots and email them to you, just send me an email.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:43 AM   #6
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
photo links

This has been an awsome resource for me over the last few months of Argosy ownership and it's greatly helped with a steep learning curve. Thank you for all your effort.

I love looking at peoples pictures but I don't see a simple way to get to them from a thread or profile. Usually I have to copy and paste a username into the search window on the photos page. Is there a better way to do that, that I'm missing?

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Is the new format going to be links to attached images instead of thumbnails?

I really liked the thumbnail approach because I didn't have to click the little pic to get an idea of the BIG PIC unless I wanted to see the LARGE SIZE.

When all that is shown is a link to an attached image, it slows down the surfing having to click pic links to pics that waste time because a thumbnail would have been enough.

Please go back to the thumbnail approach?
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Did the upgrade cause the users location to be replaced by their start date on the box below the avatar? I found the location to be more useful.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Did the upgrade cause the users location to be replaced by their start date on the box below the avatar? I found the location to be more useful.
I just noticed start date. I can see some value in start date, but I have to agree with Stephanie.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
It also looks like the quick link via "left mouse on member's post name" to that member's photo gallery went away.
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That must have just happened, because I use that photo link all the time, and I think I just used it a couple days ago.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
I have also noticed several people without rivets. Am I just looking for things now?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 01-10-2005, 03:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Rivets go away when the member chooses a personal description like Stephanie's one above.

I will probably loose mine if my Airstream's description does not return. I think that is useful information.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Time for a poll?

Add my name to list of those who could care little about "Join Date" below Avatar, and would much prefer knowing what the members own or if they're looking for something, or where they're from...

New members advertise that fact, and anyone here more than 3 months is equally "established.."

If moderators feel "Join Date" is of value, then perhaps a poll of members to see what majority would like to appear..

John McG

p.s. I REEAAALLLY Love this site, and comment above is not meant in a negative or critical way...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #15
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
While you are tweaking, how about making it easier to start a new thread. I haven't figured out how to start any new threads since the site was revamped many months ago. How about a button "Start New Thread."

I also agree that I don't find start date to be of any use. I much prefer the type and year of unit as well as hometown.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Join date?

I agree, how cares when someone joined. Keep it uncluttered and simple.

Thanks
Bruce
wallybyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I kinda like the join date thing. It give me an idea of how newbie the poster is. I also like the number of posts there. Some people are members and just lurk, but they are veterans of some years.
Knowing how long someone has been a member of the forum allows those of us who have been here a while some insight on answering questions more effectively for the newbie because we then know that they have not had the chance to have researched the Forum, and may not know how to search for threads, and they may be in crisis mode desparate for information, and thus we who are Vets of the Forum can better help them if we know that they just got here.
I say keep the join date. We need to be especially kind to our newest members.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
So. . .can we make everyone happy? 1. location 2. Make/yr of A/S 3. Join date 4. rivets, of course! and # of posts. I like it all. But then, I like just about everything about this forum
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I really miss the hometown. It makes what they are saying mean more if you know where they live. Sometimes it doesn't make much sense when you are sitting in 10 degree weather and it's 75 where they are.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
Add my name to list of those who could care little about "Join Date" below Avatar, and would much prefer knowing what the members own or if they're looking for something, or where they're from...

New members advertise that fact, and anyone here more than 3 months is equally "established.."

If moderators feel "Join Date" is of value, then perhaps a poll of members to see what majority would like to appear..

John McG

p.s. I REEAAALLLY Love this site, and comment above is not meant in a negative or critical way...
Not only am I going to agree with JBMcG, but I want to emphasize John's "p.s." and tell him that I use his quote on a regular basis at work!