Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Would you attend an AIR National Rally?
Yes, I'd be there for sure! 34 22.97%
Yes, I'd go if it was less then one day drive away! 43 29.05%
Yes, I'd go if it was less then a two day drive away! 67 45.27%
No, I don't want to hang out with you! 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Like a tin foil hat???

Janet, check the box...it says aluminum foil ---- yes?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #62
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

and every new mod picked in recent history is a wb'er...

2air'
A few random thoughts.

I believe that I am the ONLY person ever to serve as a Mod here that "is not now nor have I ever been" a member of the WBCCI.

Saturn established their plant in Tennessee because 65% of the American public lived (at that time) within 650 miles of the plant.

Tchaikovsky and Elvis were both geniuses.

A national AIR event is a great idea.

We will come if possible (and it don't cost an arm and a leg).

Lack of structure is a great thing around a campfire.

Pot luck is the next best thing to Grandma's cookin'.

Remember, it's camping, good food, a couple of beers and a visit with friends. Nothining more (OR LESS).

Merry Christmas to all.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I have hosted nine rally events since October 2007, and attended about 10 others hosted by other forum members. I will agree that a rally on any scale requires a great deal of work from its' AIR Commander (I like it better than Wagon Master). Some rally events I hosted merely required picking a time and place, and posting the info. For my Capetown to Cairo event, I worked on the rally in some way or form each day for almost six months up to the day we met in Cape Girardeau.

I think a team would work better for planning, organizing, and controlling such a large event. I am sure the people who put on the Vintage Trailer Jam, and Alumapalooza would agree that having several people to break up the work between helps a great deal.

Steve
Old 12-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
I answered the survey, 1f it is within a 2 day drive. Then again it all depends on Location, Location, Location. We (Carol & I) would travel further just to be at the first National Air Rally. we'll bring the Dutch Ovens and cook something wonderful for the Pot Luck. Have the Wagon Master or AIR Commander add our names to the list of volunteers to help. No musical talent here, but I can do a Dutch Oven demonstration If anyone is interested.
Ted
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We would maybe come to something like this if it has no Structure. The spot is picked, everyone makes his or her own reservations. NO FREE rides for anyone. We have been to several events where everyone BRINGS something,FOOD, GIFTS for a Raffle,someone donated their time for a Polishing seminar,Steve could Demo his leak detection,everyone who plays brings and instrument and we could have a jam session. Several people donated wood for each evenings fire. WE HAD A GREAT TIME at the AIR rallys we have been too.
We would be up for something like this if its, over a weekend so everyone could participate,young and old, working or retired. Make it open to everyone who wants to attend.
Last yrs Metro -Detroit was a good example of PEOPLE HAVIN FUN.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #66
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We could call it..."The First Annual Airstreamers Revival Meeting"

A small fee for signing up and pass the hat at the campfire...
Old 12-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
I hate polls because...

I hate polls because my answer is never listed as a choice, I've therefore voted NO, but would love to camp with every one of you

I don't see the need for a separate national AIR rally each year. As others have noted there are several annual events in different areas of the country -- Can Opener, Vintage Trailer Jam, BurningMan, SoldierMedic's midwest gettogethers and some WBCCI gatherings that are open to all -- and I think that all Streamers are welcome even if they were not from the immediate area. AirForums already provides a great vehicle for publicizing these events.

Let's not complicate things -- make current rallies better, add a few more so all areas of the country and seasons are covered, and do a slightly better job on getting the word out.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #68
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Sounds More Airforums Related...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
AIR Commander
This definitely has a good ring to it. Commander seems a little intimidating but I still like it. Air Chief, Air Boss, Air Master, Air Gopher....

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #69
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
We would maybe come to something like this if it has no Structure. The spot is picked, everyone makes his or her own reservations. NO FREE rides for anyone. We have been to several events where everyone BRINGS something,FOOD, GIFTS for a Raffle,someone donated their time for a Polishing seminar,Steve could Demo his leak detection,everyone who plays brings and instrument and we could have a jam session. Several people donated wood for each evenings fire. WE HAD A GREAT TIME at the AIR rallys we have been too.
We would be up for something like this if its, over a weekend so everyone could participate,young and old, working or retired. Make it open to everyone who wants to attend.
Last yrs Metro -Detroit was a good example of PEOPLE HAVIN FUN.
Roger
Roger you are taking the planning that goes into an event for granted. As some, that have actually hosted an event have stated, it takes a lot of work. 100 trailers do not just come together on a pre determined spot and have a rally. If Dave or Rhonda come on to this thread they will confirm that a good deal of work goes into making that Detroit Metro appear to have no structure to it.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #70
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I don't see why there cant be a regional rally designated as the Airforums International Rally each year with the event rotating as suggested earlier. These could piggyback on current long standing events or be entirely new. It would be neat if there were caravans from the other regions of the country coming in....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
I don't see why there cant be a regional rally designated as the Airforums International Rally each year with the event rotating as suggested earlier. These could piggyback on current long standing events or be entirely new. It would be neat if there were caravans from the other regions of the country coming in....
This is an EXCELLENT idea!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #72
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Angry Snakes in an Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
We could call it..."The First Annual Airstreamers Revival Meeting"

A small fee for signing up and pass the hat at the campfire...
Yea yea, and we can have snakes in a box.
well maybe not
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Last August the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club had a boondocking rally at the Albany County Fairgrounds in Laramie WY. The field was very large, flat, and recently mowed. They had between 60 and 70 trailers. They erected a large tent for get togethers. They had a generator and very long estension cord for electricity in the tent with no noise. They had six or eight port-o-pottys around the perimiter. It is OK to put wash water on the ground there. Those who needed electricity brought generators. Some shared. They too are tight with New Belgian and had Fat Tire on tap the whole time.

It wasn't expensive, but sure was a fun five days.

You might want to get hold of those folks to get contacts.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #74
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Jim, that sounds like a lot of fun. I need to move back to Colorado!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Chenango County Fairgrounds

Andy,

Here in central NY, Chenango County is pretty much the center, geographically, of New York State. We have a very nice County Fairgrounds that costs $1000 to rent for a weekend. It's got a huge infield inside a dirt horsetrack, a great grandstand, and many outbuildings. There's a 30-40 spot campground on one side, with water and electrical hookups in a u-shape configuration.. it too would be ideal in the future for such an event! Lots close by to do too!

Here's a link. I live about 5 miles from these grounds... just a thought.

42.530952,-75.509144 - Google Maps

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #76
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the link Bob.

Here's my summary of the posts and poll so far:
- The poll is pretty lop sided and signals that there is strong interest in a Nationally designated event.
- There are already significant rallies happening and it would be nice to recognize these events by designating them an official Annual AIR National when it's in their region
- We need to keep costs low
- People just want to have fun, we don't need to plan many events for the weekend, just like most of the current AIR Rallies

Some of the mods have suggested some amazing campgrounds, one that had 200 spots and would have a significant cost to reserve the whole thing. As previously stated, this is where the support of AIR comes in when designating an event the annual National. Normally a smaller regional even might be constrained by resources needed to be "risked" by the host. We could offer financial support to make sure resources can be reserved.

Keep the feedback coming, this will be an ever evolving process. If you have not voted, please vote in the poll above. We will continue to listen and put together a game plan in the early part of next year.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #77
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Last August the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club had a boondocking rally at the Albany County Fairgrounds in Laramie WY. The field was very large, flat, and recently mowed. They had between 60 and 70 trailers. They erected a large tent for get togethers. They had a generator and very long estension cord for electricity in the tent with no noise. They had six or eight port-o-pottys around the perimiter. It is OK to put wash water on the ground there. Those who needed electricity brought generators. Some shared. They too are tight with New Belgian and had Fat Tire on tap the whole time.

It wasn't expensive, but sure was a fun five days.

You might want to get hold of those folks to get contacts.
Jim you're right, Albany County Fairgrounds in Laramie WY was a great site and affordable!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Oh boy, Wood'Air

Or is that Air'Stock

Make our own entertainment. From various threads it would appear that across the country(s) there are musicians etc. everywhere as one would expect.

Potlucks (not to be construed with the version of luckypot that happened at the original in 1969) are great for initiating gatherings and fellowship.

Many small towns with fair grounds would probably love to have a group of Airstreamers show up. Some power available, washrooms may be negotiable, and an open house for the locals on part of an afternoon would probably be a welcome addition to the towns folks. And you never know who might have an older Airstream lurking in their barn they want to sell or get excited about and get on the Airforums bandwagon. I also suspect local musicians might come out to play. And we put a few bucks into the local economy so everyone wins.

Often with little more than a day or two notice the local vintage car clubs will bring their vehicles around for display if anyone is interested. Kind of fun and a little side entertainment.

I think explaining to the municipality that this is a large gathering of individuals, not a "club" but folks who travel and gather from time to time around the country and an expected number (per those who say they are coming in advance) is about all that can be provided would work in a smaller community. They have a lot of flexibility. Having a dozen Airstreams show up is a treat - having 50 is a big thing, and more than that generates a lot of excitement. That could be leveraged. The town themselves might use it to their own advantage - they are "hosting" a gathering of Airstreams...............just thinking out loud how we might be able to get easy access camping with some facilities and without having to put up money in advance.....
Old 12-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #79
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think it's a great idea. Our attendance would depend on what else was on our schedule and how far from home—that's probably true for most people.

Even the Rainbow People, who claim to have no organization, do have one and do negotiate with the FS or whomever controls the land they want to have their festival on. They do have some rules and they usually clean up afterward. Clothing is optional.

Insurance? The Forum's assets are at risk if anything happens, so insurance is a necessity. Signing waivers is not enough because waivers don't stop claims and you can't waive everything no matter what the waiver says.

This is probably going to start small because all things do. Maybe two smaller "national rallies", one in the west and one in the east, would be a good way to start. While boondocking is nice, so are hookups—maybe one with and one without. A place that popped into my mind just now is the area between Spring Creek and Slumgullion Passes outside of Lake City, Colo.—there's a large flat area near a waterfall whose name escapes me (I'm on dial up right now and it'll take too long to look it)—definitely boondocking). It's FS land. I think it's one Colo. 149.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #80
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
It would be neat if there were caravans from the other regions of the country coming in....
The caravans converging in on the rally could become quite the events in themselves. Perhaps they could start as smaller groups and grow in size as they converge into larger units as they approach the rally...

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote