Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
static.vpptechnologies.com?

I use Netescape 7.2. Frequently when I select a post, the browser freezes with a message about static.vpptechnologies.com. This can take quite a while during which time I can not switch to another tab, or window, or much else.

I have a slow computer (233 mhz) but a fast connection (DSL). Any thoughts?
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd do a few things. First, if it's a PC, I'd get a Mac, but if you're really into punishment and have to have a PC, get a newer one or upgrade the guts of the old one. That 233 is a dinosaur. If you don't wan't to do that, switch browsers, they are free and worth a shot. IE is good, so are a number of others. I haven't liked Netscape since AOHELL aquired them. They basically destroyed the code and it's never really come back from the once glory days.

Also, you should be running firewall software and virus software on any computer that is connected to the Internet using Broadband or DSL. Who knows you might even have spyware or some nasty little worm running about on your machine making these things happen.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
New computer or classic Airsteam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I'd do a few things. First, if it's a PC, I'd get a Mac, but if you're really into punishment and have to have a PC, get a newer one or upgrade the guts of the old one. That 233 is a dinosaur. ....
Alas, a new computer is not in the cards, the resources are needed for my classic airstream habit...

It's not a virus or spyware since I am scruplus on the maintenance of my firewall and AV software. I de-loused the machine of spyware with two programs this week. Also just upgraded to netscape 7.2 which is quite a bit quicker than 7.1 I don't think much of AOhell either but even less of Microsloth. I will only use IE when it is unavoidable. I suppose I could use Monzilla.

The machine doesn't do this freeze up routine on any other site. I'm wondering if static.vpptechnologies.com is providing a humongus library which my puny machine spends an inordinate amount of time downloading and processing.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I hear ya on the Microsloth. I'd be inclined to try IE and Mozilla and see if it does the same thing with a different browser. If not, you've found your culprit. If it does.......well, the good news is that you've identified it's not browser related.

Way back when I was a staunch Netscape supporter (pre AOL), life was good. Then AOL came along and they screwed Netscape up so badly that I yanked it off all 600 of our workstations and sadly went with IE. Now we have Safari as well, but the problem is that Safari is only about 95% there as of the last patch and upgrade (which means nothing to your PC issue though). So we are pretty much in bed with both IE and Safari.

Sounds like you have some PC skill sets...ever consider going to Linux?
Old 01-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Greetings,
I upgraded to Netscape 7.2 on one a 1 gig. machine at home over the holidays and the 233 mhz struck a cord. Just went back and checked and 233 is the minimum processer spec. Just a thought. We all know what happens when you overload a PC. Have to agree with the decline of Netscape since AOL.
Oh well, Sometimes I feel like a 19th century guy stuck in the 21st.
Good luck, Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I know I have a slow machine, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
I use Netescape 7.2. Frequently when I select a post, the browser freezes with a message about static.vpptechnologies.com. This can take quite a while during which time I can not switch to another tab, or window, or much else.

I have a slow computer (233 mhz) but a fast connection (DSL). Any thoughts?
it is adequate for all the other surfing I do. Does any know what is being retrieved from "static.vpptechnologies.com" by this forum?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
It is a Trojan form of spyware and will keep generating popups until removed.
Much info is available by doing a Google search with "vpptechnologies" as the keyword.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
It is a Trojan form of spyware and will keep generating popups until removed.
Much info is available by doing a Google search with "vpptechnologies" as the keyword.
FYI

Here is the reply I got from a security forum after I ran a bunch of adware, spyware, malware removal stuff, and posted a log file.
static.vpptechnologies.com is not always trojan related. It is also an adserver used to display ads on many web pages. Your log is clean, so it does not appear that you have a trojan.
I don't see ads when I read this forum but perhaps my NIS is suppressing them?
Old 01-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There are ads on this forum in certain areas.....
Old 01-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #10
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
guy99, my point is that the spyware you mention is in your system and most likely not related to this website. You may have unknowingly picked it up as a hidden attachment in something you downloaded, but those sneaky devils have numerous methods of finding their way into your pc.
Trojan or not, you need to remove it.
I'm not aware of any popup ads on this site.
Spyware is a huge problem. My local pc repairman says that most of the repairs he does are spyware related.
I've read that anyone who downloads music from the web runs a 95% risk of being victimized by spyware in one form or another.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Spyware is a huge problem. My local pc repairman says that most of the repairs he does are spyware related.
I've read that anyone who downloads music from the web runs a 95% risk of being victimized by spyware in one form or another.
Not on my free BSD OSX Mac! I know, I know, you all are just gluttons for punishment I suppose.

I just don't understand it. I mean if you all are not running some PC specific software, why not at least try a Mac for a while? For the most part, you won't be disappointed. Then again, some folks love looking over their shoulder every other minute I suppose.

BTW, Microsoft now has a free (for now) spyware removal tool. You can find it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
Old 01-07-2005, 08:55 PM   #12
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Twink, I've only recently discovered that the pop-out drawer on my tower is not a cup holder.
This old dog doesn't want to learn new tricks.
Here's my OS:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Computer.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	10001  

Old 01-08-2005, 06:11 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
What prevented me from buying a Mac laptop, a few years ago, was the lack of a good map program. The folks at the local Apple store, (Micro Center) could not seem to help me, so I bought a Pocket PC instead.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's really funny Rog.

Pick that's a shame.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #15
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Our site is pop-up free and no funky ad tactics. We only run Google ads and the other "in house" text ads. I have found the system restore function in Windows XP to be very valuable in the past. Always nice to be able to reboot & rollback.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote