Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2002, 12:11 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Rivet Rewards!

What about having a program where members who earn rivets also get something to reward them for being active? I do not want to encourage meaningless posts or posting for the sake of earning rivets. The rewards need to be something like a small discount at a participation Airstream supplier (maybe 5%) or a bumper sticker, etc.

What do you think would be a good award for those members who are active in posting quality information?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
I think meaningless posts will always be a problem with any forum, the only way I see to eliminate them is for a 'moderator' to pre-screen them before being posted, and I think the VAC already does this (correct me if I'm wrong) a practice that I dont agree with (censorship).
I would rather not see this site get into an exchange for money, the Airstream Central site just went through that and they are suffering for it, in fact that is why I left. I feel people contribute because they want to share their knowledge, experience, and time about Airstreams. By offering rewards it will become a competition (fostering alot of meaningless posts) for those with the most wins and lose it's meaning and friendliness. To many knowledge is power used to gain something or kept from others to have power over them.
"What do you think would be a good award for those members who are active in posting quality information?" Who will be the judge of that? whats quality to one may not be to another.
For me participation is its own reward, I am satisfied in just sharing what I know and learning from others about Airstreams and RV related things.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:52 PM   #3
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Clarification...

This site will always remain FREE! I own a web hosting company and have donated the resources to run this site for FREE!

The "Rivet Rewards" were meant to be something small that says "thank you" to the members who share their knowledge here. My thought was that a member who actively participates is also the type of person an Airstream vendor would like to give a discount to. The reasoning is because that person is likely to share information about the parts (where & how much) in future posts. A good example is Peter sharing his joy for getting the right panels from Inland RV. So if Inland RV offered a 5% dicount to 3+ rivet members, that would be a little something for active members!

A bumper sticker would cost $.50 delivered and I don't mind putting up another $100 to pay for 200 of them. I already have $500 in programs, etc. invested, not including 100s of hours in development time. I have put in this $$$ and work because I want to create the best community available for Airstreamers on the net. I think some of these small promotions will help build the critical mass needed to become the #1 Airstream forum community. If this forum starts to lose momentum, all my hard work is for nothing. If we can keep it's momentum by having some small bonuses for our members, then the work was worth it!

You are correct in stating "meaningless posts will always be a problem with any forum..." These posts are also a very important part of our community. It will be impossible and probably too boring to keep everybody "on topic". That is ok!

With time these forums will have moderators, but they will not be intended as a mechanism to censor or approve posts. Rather they will help organize & move posts to their proper forum. This is our community, not mine! I want the members to know that thier input counts! That is why I have been asking for feedback. Keep it coming!

Thanks for the feedback John!

What do you think?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 04:16 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
what makes this forum unique and first class is the ability to post pictures.
Instead of rewarding posters, restrict usage of the guest users. Not sure if it is possible to disallow picture viewing for guests? That might be an incentive for them to become members.
A nice bumbersticker for reaching 100 posts would be a nice gesture.
One year Wbcci dues for reaching 500 posts would be an incentive.
I rather see a lurker being rewarded for their first post, than trying to reward us die-hard posters.
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 05:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I agree with Peter in terms of trying to get people to join, and encourage them to get involved. I know not all will post often and regularly, but it would be nice to see more threads of interest opened, so we can all continue to learn and share.
I would like a bumper sticker that says I am a "rivet head"- or my other car is an Airstream, or something like that- silly huh?But seriously maybe some kind of sticker for the motorhome that says
Three Rivet Member/ AirstreamForums.com
you get my drift...
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 05:03 PM   #6
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Kudos to the Net Manager

I wish to express my great appreciation to the founder of these Forums. He has generously donated of his time, money and resources to establish and maintain what is in my opinion the GREATEST!!. You sir are to be commended. Yes, let's keep it First Class, everyone does and will benefit. Special little gimmicks would hurt nothing, but I agree with the founder in his policies and pronouncements!
Dr Joe
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Smile Free information

I haven't been a member long, but what little bit I have had to find out about winterizing, propane tanks, leveling the trailer, ect, has come from this forum....I really appreciate all the help from the members, from what I have learned...I hope to be able to contribute some day !!!! Thanks !

Ole-red
2002 Safari 19' Bambi
2005 Classic 30 ft.
2007 David Winick, 75th Anniversary 19'
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
i think this is a good idea
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
yup - a really good idea
[CENTER][I]
Old 11-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
oh - what about us guys who don't display their rivets?

i've now changed my mind - it's a bad idea
[CENTER][I]
Old 11-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
oh - what about us guys who don't display their rivets?
I never thought about it, my wife knows, and that's all that matters.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rewards for chronic posters is as good an idea as it was 9 years ago when Andy R. suggested it. I think a Porsche 911 Carrera S is a good prize for anyone with more than 6,186 posts. I'd like a red one. I hope it doesn't take 9 years.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Rewards for chronic posters is as good an idea as it was 9 years ago when Andy R. suggested it. I think a Porsche 911 Carrera S is a good prize for anyone with more than 6,186 posts. I'd like a red one. I hope it doesn't take 9 years.

Gene
Gene,

No worries, your Porsche was mailed today.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think a bumper sticker, maybe one where you can add-on rivets as you earn them, would be fun and keep it simple.

I have heard mention of "meaningless posts", and agree completely with the premise that what is meaningless to one is not necessarily meaningless to another---and that goes for writers as well as readers.

Maggie