Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Profile Comments vs. Private Messages

My apologies to three members who contacted me via a Profile Comment (PC) instead of a Private Message (PM).

I'll send PMs to UKDUDE, mineralfarme and EJA, even if very late.

I get an email notification for PMs, but not for PCs so I missed your questions from as far back as last April. I mostly follow this forum on my iPhone and iPad using the Air Forum App, so I never saw the PCs. Apparently the PCs are only visible when using a web browser to view the forum. I'm on my desktop computer now with full view of things like Profile comments.

So I guess the words of wisdom is check you Profile Comments occasionally.

Cheers,
- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Since I never heard of Profile Comments, thought I'd check but didn't find them. Where does one look to find the PCs on their PC?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I rarely check my profile because? One day I was unsubscribing old threads. and scrolled below was the ''Latest Thanks'' heading. The members comments about my imputes on this forum, made my day. You have to log in, then click on ''User CP'', then scroll down below the ''New Subscribed Threads''. Hope this helps. streaminwild.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
That's why I turn off Profile Comments in Options. As you said, there's no way to get a notification that someone has made a comment and most folks rarely check it. People who are unfamiliar with BBs like these won't know that, so by turning it off, it doesn't give anyone the option to do anything other than send a PM.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
I rarely check my profile because? One day I was unsubscribing old threads. and scrolled below was the ''Latest Thanks'' heading. The members comments about my imputes on this forum, made my day. You have to log in, then click on ''User CP'', then scroll down below the ''New Subscribed Threads''. Hope this helps. streaminwild.
Thanks. Found it in the "Edit Options" section tho.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
That's why I turn off Profile Comments in Options. As you said, there's no way to get a notification that someone has made a comment and most folks rarely check it. People who are unfamiliar with BBs like these won't know that, so by turning it off, it doesn't give anyone the option to do anything other than send a PM.

Good tip! Thanks I'll do the same.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post

Thanks for this information!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Yep, I would suggest that folks who have comments or questions use the private messaging feature rather the profile comments. I also have found questions that go unanswered for many weeks in mine also. Unfortunately the forum software cannot notify us of communications just left in profile comments.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #9
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I'm glad this subject came up. I too have been surprised to see Profile Comments appear and I didn't see them in a timely manner. I'm also not a big fan of the "public" nature of profile comments. I've turned them off so none can be added in the future.

Thanks.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Thanks for the tip. I had no idea people were responding in that area. I read lots of comments to my posts.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I turned off my profile comments a couple of years ago, too, as one doesn't see them but intentionally, and I would find questions months old there that I had no idea had been asked.

We all get alerts for private messages received, and the link to that page toward the upper right corner here is easy to access to send one.

Maggie
Old 11-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I, too, have received hundreds of Profile Comments which should have been PM's. Like others have said, I look at my Profile Comments only occasionally. Many times, these Profile Comments contain time sensitive question or information that is never responded to. One of my recent Profile Comments was from a member who was going to be camping nearby and wanted to meet us. I did not see this Profile Comment until it was several months old. It made me feel badly that this member probably thought that I just blew him off.

I think that the forums software needs to be adjusted so that a Profile Comment is not so easy to send. When you click on a member's name above the avatar you get a drop down list. The first choice takes you to the member's Profile Comment section. From there, posting a Profile Comment is the obvious choice, especially for a new member who is not yet familiar with forum terminology.

I think that it would correct this situation if we could move "view public profile" to the bottom of the drop down list. This would make "send PM" the top item on the list.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote