Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Posting Activity

I don't know how to get viewing activity, but maybe the number of members who are actively posting has some relation to total forum activity. Just something to look into while I'm avoiding the next big Ovelander task...

Click image for larger version

Name:	forum activity.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	90872
Old 11-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi zep

thanks for dusting OFF this notion with pretty graphs...

here's my old data of this including viewing...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...member-34.html

b'cup did something similar moons ago too..

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...own-24787.html

given ~15-18-20,000 of the mem accounts haven't even LOGGED ON, in 2 years...

much less posted,

we gots LOTs of zombie members buried deep.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

given ~15-18-20,000 of the mem accounts haven't even LOGGED ON, in 2 years...

much less posted,

we gots LOTs of zombie members buried deep.

cheers
2air'
I think the zombies just clog up the members database making it difficult to find members who are still alive and kickin. If possible, I think a purge would be a good idea. Maybe Zep could do another graph. Andy R you got your ears on?
Old 11-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
_

. , .
OCCASIONALLY 1 long dead member surfaces, even after 2 cold years...

but not many.

i suspect 1000s of those UNopened UNposted accounts are duplicates...

representing folks that FORGOT the name and/or password.

and just REsigned up.

there was a time when viewing as a GUEST gave access to everything here, including search.

like on MOST of the other SN forum sites...

so there was NO benefit to logging in, except to post.

as FEATURES were stripped from guest/portal page folks had do sign IN to search and so on...

anyway the TOTAL accounts is no doubt used to promote this SIZE of this place.

online worlds ALL want to appear larger than they are for obvious reasons.

it would br possible to send an AUTOMATED tickler to long inactive accounts and IF no one is HOME close it...

but i suspect there is ZERO motivation to do this.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
So... someone who hasn't been active in 3 years but had 250 posts? (fairly common) Exclude them from your views based on that or a higher/lower post number? ... or yet other factors? Never again read early Andy R, Janet, overlander63, RoadKingMoe, leipper (bryanl), InsideOut or femuse posts? I don't know any way to allow diverse members to restrict their views in that manner.

Honestly -- there already is a way to find topics or posts based on the last one year, three years, five years. Just name your time frame via advanced search.

Filtering only on members who have 50? 75? 150+ posts? As a general format this seems like a formula for one of us not knowing what forum the others are seeing. It does seem to be an interesting way to do customizable searches.

These might be proposals to place before the vBulletin group regarding future functionalities. Care to define further? Any of this coming down the pipe will be 'out there' and probably show up in different form than any of us could anticipate.

Challenging ... but interesting!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
..there already is a way to find topics or posts based on the last one year, three years, five years. Just name your time frame via advanced search...
if ONLY this were so.

advanced S has date options for increments UPTO a year, or BEYOND 1 year...

but no 1,2,3,4,5 year choice.

THAT would be very useful 2me when DREDGING the bottom.

or perhaps the MOD squad has different double secret dredging tools?

cheers
2air'

Old 11-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
So... someone who hasn't been active in 3 years but had 250 posts? (fairly common) Exclude them from your views based on that or a higher/lower post number? ... or yet other factors? Never again read early Andy R, Janet, overlander63, RoadKingMoe, leipper (bryanl), InsideOut or femuse posts? I don't know any way to allow diverse members to restrict their views in that manner.
Even if the old members with 0 posts were purged that would significantly reduce the members data base. I would not want to see posts eliminated, just the old and dead data on members that are not there and are taking up space making finding real people time consuming to find in a member search. Of the 34 names on the 1st page of the members list 23 have 0 posts and of these 23 5 became members in 2009. I don't mind lurkers, but the zombies are a problem. I'm not saying members have to post, but maybe a procedure for the confirming membership if, say, a member does not have a post in a year or 2 could be developed.

I always wondered what canned worms taste like.

PS I really like the term Zombies. Never heard it before outside of horror flicks.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
zero posters

Could "zero" posters be slipped behind a curtain, for none to see, until they sign in again? After maybe a year, or two, if they don't sign in, they are deleted?

Some might be bashful, and don't want to post, but want to read the various posts.

I would bet that many zero posters are not Airstream owners either, but enjoy reading the "how to posts" of others.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I agree that it would be good to do some kind of firewall on the zero posters who haven't signed in for a year or two. But that wasn't really where I was going. I was just interested to see where the activity was, you know, map it out. Who'd want to know where the zeros live? I want to visit with members who are posting and have something to say.

Here's a set of waypoints of all the members I deem to be 'active*' in the 11 westen states. It's 191 waypoints. Download this text file (Forums-western members.txt) and then change the extension from ".txt" to ".kml" and open it with Google Earth. The waypoints are accurate to the city, but aren't any more accurate than that. Some members have symbols in their names that aren't allowed in waypoint names, so you might find a (-) in place of a symbol, or a missing ('), etc.

Some of our beloved meatheads (pardon me, "careful members") won't publish their locations, so they float off in the ocean, etc. If anyone finds their own location to be misleading, PM me and I can fix it. OK, OK, full timers aren't meatheads. Maybe we should just put a large fuzzy dot out there for 2Air, Artstream, Gen Disarray, etc..... .......... ............

Any member ready to tackle other sections of the country? Come on.

Whe I look at the sparseness of the activity map out in the 4 corner states, I'm surprised at how active the 4CU is.

Zep

* logged on in 2009 and have at least 100 lifetime posts.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
'Lurkers' as a word is not value-charged at a forum but it defines those who read without posting -- whether they joined or never log in at all. Many lurkers do have an Airstream but network via camping companions, other groups or other online entities. I know a variety of people who log in to search but do not post. There are many others who log in only to list an Airstream in Classifieds. That is participation at some level.

Frankly, it is not necessary to exclude anyone by many or zero posts. You can search active members by going to the Members List on the overhead blue tool bar. Click the header labeled 'Posts' and you will order members in terms of declining post numbers. Parse the list any way you wish. For instance, I show 2513 members with 20 or more posts -- most of whom have logged in in the last few months. Zero posters do not show up unless you go out of your way to look for them.

This is a great group of Airstream aficionados! Thanks, karma, mahalo, namaste or any other kudo of your liking!!

[on edit: Zep PM'ed me. We cross posted. His last post and this post are going in different directions. This is his thread and I'd like to see where he is going. Please, let us re-read Zep's post preceding this one. Zep, it is your stage...]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Y'all are gettin' this all wrong. Some people, like US, just like to babble (a lot). Other folks just like to "troll". Some folks just forgot their logon (Like I did with Reserve America tonight).

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Agreed. I was just looking for a way to map (like really, on a map) the "contributing" members. Maybe "active" was the wrong word. Maybe contributing is, too. For example, of the 24,000 members who have joined since 2000 and have Zero posts, 6270 of them have visited the Forums in 2009. Their eyeballs help keep the Forums financially viable.

There are 125 Zero-posters who offer courtesy parking--49 have used the Forums this year. So maybe I do want to know where the "zeros" live (see post above)! I think offering courtesy parking qualifies strongly as "contributing," but I wonder if you can reliably get ahold of them?

BTW, the "thanks" option at the bottom of the members advanced search simply lists members who meet the other critieria on the search page. Is there a way to search on "thanks"? I stumbled on this, thinking that it would be interesting to see if there are any zero-posters who are contributing members. Now that would be a real interesting bit of trivia. I have to admit that I didn't start contributing right away. Quick, but not immediately. I know I got a huge amount from the Forums before I started posting, back in the day. Now, obviuously, I can't shut up. (gack, I can't believe I've been using the when I meant to use , all these years!)

Zep
Old 11-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Agreed. I was just looking for a way to map (like really, on a map) the "contributing" members. Maybe "active" was the wrong word. Maybe contributing is, too. For example, of the 24,000 members who have joined since 2000 and have Zero posts, 6270 of them have visited the Forums in 2009. Their eyeballs help keep the Forums financially viable.

There are 125 Zero-posters who offer courtesy parking--49 have used the Forums this year. So maybe I do want to know where the "zeros" live (see post above)! I think offering courtesy parking qualifies strongly as "contributing," but I wonder if you can reliably get ahold of them?

Zep
This is just beggin for another chart. Maybe a pie chart this time.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado

no, nothing as simple as a pie chart! Ve must make somzing complikated. ... I guess I was raised in the age of McNamarra...

more data, Captain!

enuff said, Zep
Old 11-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
This is just beggin for another chart. Maybe a pie chart this time.
How's this:

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
OMG, LOL (understandable, so it's definitely not complicated enuff)

Zep
Old 11-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
So which part of the pie do I want to be in , the eaten or not eaten yet? And I thought I had all my problems solved for today.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2 View Post
So which part of the pie do I want to be in , the eaten or not eaten yet? And I thought I had all my problems solved for today.
Maybe the part that has whipped cream and chopped walnuts on it.

If your gonna go, might as well make it "first class".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
mmmm pie.....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
do you people have any idea what hijacking means? There is a thread for that, you know.

and for your information, Andy, if it's lemon pie it only needs meringue to be perfect.

which reminds me of the Anthony Bourdain show, a man who usually uses $3 dollar words to describe food, where he asked a fellow chef for a new and really descriptive way to praise an especially good meal. "Yummy" was the answer. I think Bourdain put his face down right in the plate of food...

Yummy, Zep