Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
polishing

The story goes as follows….. I stripped the gel coat and and the trailer received 2 polishes ready for its final polish, (see pictures,) I then covered the trailer with a Custom Fit Breathable Cover which stated it would protect it from UVA rays and was due to return the following year, however this rather expensive cover only lasted for about 8 months before it fell apart …!!!!! Florida sun,it was my intension to return each year to work on the trailer however I was not able to return and during my absence my brother covered the trailer with a tarpaulin from Home Depot ….?

On my return 18 months later the trailer has black/greyish staining in various sections (see pictures) almost like in a splash pattern I cannot tell what and where this staining has come from and can only imagine its from the tarpaulin

First I tried to polish the stain out with Grade G6 compound followed by grade11, with no affect then I used "Power Bright" Concentrate Acid cleaner on 2 x2ft square sections I applied one with a scotch guard sponge the other with a brush,the application with the brush just sent surrounding skin milky but did nothing to the stain,with the scotch guard sponge I had to scrub the skin really hard which did remove the blackness from the stain after several attempts, however you could still see the stains shadow, I then used G6 compound followed by Grade 11 but even though this polished the area you can still see the shadow of the stain, be it know shinny, its almost like its under the skin, on another section I tried Muriatic acid this did exactly the same, sent the skin an opaque milky colour then on polishing you can still see the shadow of the stain.

I am now at a complete loss and do not know how to proceed I can only think to cut my losses on the trailer and sell it for scrape or spare parts, as I cannot seem to be able to achieve the finish I hoped for.

See photos enclosed and any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Jonathan
jonnyregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You don't say what year your trailer is...different years used different aluminum so my have different responses. Also, your post says "see pictures" but there are none in the post. You may get more comments with this additional information...

Good luck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Never never use muriatic acid on aluminum as it will eat. We use on 2 stroke motor cycles that seize leaving aluminum on cylinder walls, all gone. It will also eat chrome Hopefully did not damage AS skin
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
You don't say what year your trailer is...different years used different aluminum so my have different responses. Also, your post says "see pictures" but there are none in the post. You may get more comments with this additional information...

Good luck!

Shari
Sorry its a 1969 Safari just seen a polishing kit fromDC Super Shine Heavy cut what do you think
Old 01-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
Sorry its a 1969 Safari just seen Youtube re DC Super Shune kit is this suitable for an Airstream.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
don't know how to download picture of the trailer
Old 01-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyregis View Post
...what do you think
The "DC Super Shine Heavy Kit" appears to be more for solid aluminum tanks & such - not Alclad (layered) aluminum like an Airstream, it looks too aggressive to me.

Have you checked out the polishing forum? There are lots of great methods, tips & tricks...you'll see that there are as many ways of polishing as there are polished trailers!

We used the Perfect Polish (Nuvite) compounder method on our first trailer, our '64 GlobeTrotter (since sold). We used the rouge bar method with our second trailer, our '56 Safari. Both are finished up with the Cyclo Polisher & "Nuvite S".

Here is a link to an You Tube video of Mr. InsideOut doing a polishing demo at a RMVAC rally a couple of years ago.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote