Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Pics don't load in iphone app

I am using an original iPhone and have used the app for quite awhile without any problems. Lately, however, text in messages is at least double spaced and attachments don't open in a new window anymore. Now clicking on an attachment simply opens the individual post in a new window.

I am using the latest version of the app and these issues may have started with the last update, but I'm not positive. Any suggestions? I've already tried deleting the app and reinstalling.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We're not aware of any problems but we will take a look on our end and see what gives.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245
We're not aware of any problems but we will take a look on our end and see what gives.

Kevin
I was able to duplicate the problem. I have an iPod Touch version 1 that cannot be updated past iOS 3.1.3. This is likely the case with the original iPhone. I installed the app from iTunes and all the posts are double spaced and attached photos can't be opened, just a new window opens up with the post displayed. My guess is the changes made to the app to fix the problems that popped up iOS 5.x stepped on something else that only shows up on these older devices.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Lake City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream
I am using an original iPhone and have used the app for quite awhile without any problems. Lately, however, text in messages is at least double spaced and attachments don't open in a new window anymore. Now clicking on an attachment simply opens the individual post in a new window.

I am using the latest version of the app and these issues may have started with the last update, but I'm not positive. Any suggestions? I've already tried deleting the app and reinstalling.
Syn I phone with pc & on I tunes account & that will fix it for you. First thing is that you open a I tunes account. RB
Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Thanks for narrowing down the problem. I just noticed another issue when attempting to reply from my iphone--I can't. After entering a reply the only options are "cancel" and "advanced."

Is it possible for me to revert to an earlier version of the app?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbeavers View Post
Syn I phone with pc & on I tunes account & that will fix it for you. First thing is that you open a I tunes account. RB
I actually just synced yesterday thinking this might fix the issue. Is there something else I should do when syncing?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Lake City , Florida
Quote:

I actually just synced yesterday thinking this might fix the issue. Is there something else I should do when syncing?
Re download i tunes on your pc & then syn your I pod/I phone. Also your I tunes for windows or Mac. Be sure to go on apple.com & set up your account w/ your pass word then download I tunes on your pc & make I tunes player your default. Then you will be set to go. After this is done you can get support to walk you in this problem. Some time if you hit a brick wall on you pc or I phone you can goggle the problem, just ask the question on the web. Take care RB
Old 01-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
I have the Iphone 3gs and do not have any of the problems that you describe. However, I have not been able to figure out why it often has a number on the app after I am done with it-- what is the number for?
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies
I have the Iphone 3gs and do not have any of the problems that you describe. However, I have not been able to figure out why it often has a number on the app after I am done with it-- what is the number for?
If you are referring to the number in the red dot in the corner of the icon for the app, it means that you have subscribed to a thread or threads and have that many new unread posts. Once you open the thread, that number goes away until someone else posts to it again.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Lake City , Florida
Some time I get the updates on the apple web site after I syn. If all fails call the apple 1800 # in the support dept & they will walk on your I phone. Have A Blessed Day RB
Old 01-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Lake City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies
The number on your apps mean you need to update your apps go to app store & click on the update all button/ also the number on the app a 3 means you have 3 apps to update. Have a great day RB
Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose

If you are referring to the number in the red dot in the corner of the icon for the app, it means that you have subscribed to a thread or threads and have that many new unread posts. Once you open the thread, that number goes away until someone else posts to it again.
Thank you so much! That fixed it!
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Lake City , Florida
I had a I pod problem with down loading, it is hard to under stand but my time & date was off & that was stopping the I pod from down loading. Some time I think the high tech has a way to keep us humble. Take care for now. RB
Old 01-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbeavers View Post
Re download i tunes on your pc & then syn your I pod/I phone. Also your I tunes for windows or Mac. Be sure to go on apple.com & set up your account w/ your pass word then download I tunes on your pc & make I tunes player your default. Then you will be set to go. After this is done you can get support to walk you in this problem. Some time if you hit a brick wall on you pc or I phone you can goggle the problem, just ask the question on the web. Take care RB
I am sorry, but I don't follow what you are saying to do. I have a Mac with the latest version of iTunes, and I have already synced the iphone. I don't see where the issue is with my iphone?

As Silver Goose said...
I was able to duplicate the problem. I have an iPod Touch version 1 that cannot be updated past iOS 3.1.3. This is likely the case with the original iPhone. I installed the app from iTunes and all the posts are double spaced and attached photos can't be opened, just a new window opens up with the post displayed. My guess is the changes made to the app to fix the problems that popped up iOS 5.x stepped on something else that only shows up on these older devices.

I may be wrong, but this seems to be a software issue (with the app). Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I don't follow where my iphone or iTunes as my default player have anything to do with this. But again, I do run a Mac, and the latest version of iTunes is installed, is my default player, etc.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
... I may be wrong, but this seems to be a software issue (with the app). Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I don't follow where my iphone or iTunes as my default player have anything to do with this. But again, I do run a Mac, and the latest version of iTunes is installed, is my default player, etc.
That was my point. I've been using an iPad iOS 5.01 without issue since the last update to the app. When you posted about the problems you observed, I installed the same copy of the app with the same iTunes (Windows) used to install it on the iPad onto my iPod Touch V1 which is the same hardware, and I believe stuck at the older version of iOS as the original iPhone. I observed the same issues you reported.

What this tells me is the problem is not unique to your iPhone, nor is it a Mac vs Windows issue. When iOS 5 was released a lot of apps had to be tweaked to continue to run correctly on the new version. It is possible, and it is my gut hunch that these fixes may have broke something else that those who aren't using "vintage" hardware at iOS 3.x won't see.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Silver Goose - That's what I thought you were saying, which is why I couldn't understanding how syncing my phone (again) would resolve anything.

Any chance of the older app being made available?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
For what it's worth, I have the same issue with the mobile app for my Android phone. But, I think pictures don't look great on the phone vs computer, so it doesn't bother me much. If there's a pic I want to view, I log in on the PC.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
True...not as nice as on a computer since their small, but still a nice feature due to the convenience. Plus, I find the oddly spaced text annoying to read. I'm kicking myself for updating the app. It had worked really well for so long, I had no good reason to update...
Old 01-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Kinda ironic and I don't know if or how it would be related... But a lot of people are having issues with the facebook app (at least on Android) not loading pictures with the latest update to the app. I don't know why two independent apps would both have picture loading issues. The ironic part is that BOTH apps are inconsistent with the issue from phone to phone. For example: My wife and I both have identical smartphones, both bought and activated at the same time. Her phone gets pictures in facebook and airforums (via the app) no problem. Mine, no pictures in either app. I've even uninstalled and re-installed the app and no luck.

Any techie gurus on there have any idea why this would be that one of two identical phones works fine and the other not and why the same issue is hit & miss with other people, too?
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream
Kinda ironic and I don't know if or how it would be related... But a lot of people are having issues with the facebook app (at least on Android) not loading pictures with the latest update to the app. ... The ironic part is that BOTH apps are inconsistent with the issue from phone to phone. For example: My wife and I both have identical smartphones, both bought and activated at the same time. Her phone gets pictures in facebook and airforums (via the app) no problem. Mine, no pictures in either app. ... Any techie gurus on there have any idea why this would be that one of two identical phones works fine and the other not and why the same issue is hit & miss with other people, too?
Not to steer away for the OP's question, you say you and your wife's phones are identical yet behave differently. The 1st question that comes to mind is, are they identical down to each app? For the most part there should be little or no interaction between individual apps unless there was a specific plan for one to interface with another. My suspicion is that your phone has an app either your wife's phone doesn't or you run something prior to running Facebook that she doesn't that somehow interacts with your Facebook app. You might take an inventory of what's on each phone to discover where a difference might be. Sometimes a good old fashioned reboot puts things straight. On occasion I have to do that on a Blackberry and it requires pulling the battery for a minute to get results.