Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Paying without PayPal

I have dumped PP after they started requiring "getting verified". Translation - either I give them access to my bank account ( not going to happen) or I obtain their credit card ( NOT!!).

What other options do I have for maintaining my supporting status with out PayPal?

Thanks,

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I went ahead and got verified. I like paypal and the instant debit from the account. Just like the debit card.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Gestapo Tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I went ahead and got verified. I like paypal and the instant debit from the account. Just like the debit card.
I am happy that you are happy with the gestapo tactics of getting verified. I refuse to be forced to get a credit card I do not want or need. I am very happy with the 1 card I have had for 20 yrs. Access to my bank account is definitely not going to happen.

I would like to know what other options I have to maintain my supporting status on the forum. I am not interested in taking a poll on support or lack thereof re: PP policy.

Thank you anyway,

'shaker
Old 08-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
I would also like to support the forum but refuse to use PayPal.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Your cc can give you a one time number for a specific transaction.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
I would also like to support the forum but refuse to use PayPal.

You don't have to use PP.

Just go thru the process and it will ask you for your CC#, I do it every time I re-up.

Don't trust PEEPEE too also...

Bob
Old 08-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

You don't have to use PP.

Just go thru the process and it will ask you for your CC#, I do it every time I re-up.

Don't trust PEEPEE too also...

Bob
Tried doing as you suggest but it didn't work. I was told by an administrator there was a bug in the system.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We got verified with PP recently. Yes, they do have our bank number, but we don't charge anything to the bank account. Everything goes to the (non-PP) credit card that we registered with PP.

Lynn
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
Tried doing as you suggest but it didn't work. I was told by an administrator there was a bug in the system.

I hate bugs...

Bob
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
OK folks , I really do understand that I can "get verified" at PP by giving my bank info, but I choose not to.

I want to know if the forum takes some other form of payment like credit card or even a money order mailed to them instead of PP.

BTW- Those that have given their banking info may want to google problems people have had on this issue. Esp. getting no customer service to straighten out the problem which of course is usually getting them to put your money back into your account.

'shaker
Old 08-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Ya how about a address.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tshaker;

I want to know if the forum takes some other form of payment like credit card

'shaker
YES....normally dey do, but 'da system got bugs now.

Hopefully they will be squished soon.

I did mail in my first subscription....not comfortable giving out the address as it's a residence.

Bob
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
They should look into a PO Box
Old 08-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
second the motion

I, too, am having difficulties with re- up-ping with pay pal....administrators say it is my credit card company...IT IS NOT....I paid and then it was reversed and now i cannot get it to do anything.....

I have used pay pal in the past,....but do not trust it now...nor do i want to, however, i do want to support this site.....have in the past and want to now.....just give us an option rather than pay pal.....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
2 Cents
If they (PayPal)could not verify you are who you say you are and that you have the money to pay for a item (bank account and credit card backup)..Why or how would they in good faith allow someone to be a member.They have to be able to chase someone down should they bolt with someones money or product(reason for verification)I have used PayPal For over 10 years with no problems.I have paid for a few items that were not as described and in one case I never got the item (I was ripped off) PayPal took care of everything even refunded the money on the items.I personally do not know anyone who has had any problems with Pay Pal.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
I agree that the "verify" process is necessary to ensure that members are indeed who they say they are.

You can always change the source of the payment to be one of your other registered credit cards (I always use AMEX).

PayPal has come through for me in the past, getting refunds for purchase problems on eBay.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I disagree. There is already security for the consumer built into the Visa and Mastercard systems. The verification process simply opens another avenue for sensitive data to be exploited by the would be criminal. The only reason for this "added" level of protection is for PayPal, not the cardholder. The verification process gets them off the hook for the first $100 (or whatever their agreement with the processor says) of any fraudulent charges. Sometimes, too much of a good thing is just that.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
I disagree. There is already security for the consumer built into the Visa and Mastercard systems. The verification process simply opens another avenue for sensitive data to be exploited by the would be criminal. The only reason for this "added" level of protection is for PayPal, not the cardholder. The verification process gets them off the hook for the first $100 (or whatever their agreement with the processor says) of any fraudulent charges. Sometimes, too much of a good thing is just that.
Actually, one of the main reasons to get your bank account info is so they don't get hit with the 3-4% fees for the transactions. The only added protection is to their profit margin.

Now, since this seems to be a hot topic, maybe the moderators can split the thread so we can all slam PayPal, and the OP can get her answer...
Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
ebay owns PP, it's a money machine for them, their security has been compromised more than once, don't shop EB any more & never used PP....skeptical old fart I guess.

I think the answer still stands....the Forums does use PP if you like, it's the CC system that's temporally down.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
It's the way things are

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
I agree that the "verify" process is necessary to ensure that members are indeed who they say they are.

You can always change the source of the payment to be one of your other registered credit cards (I always use AMEX).

PayPal has come through for me in the past, getting refunds for purchase problems on eBay.
I agree 100%

I have dealt with PayPal; since shortly after they started. I often choose PayPal over other available methods because of their excellent buyer protection.

It is part of the 21st century. Internet banking transactions are the normal.

If you are that concerned about your bank account number, open a separate account in which you keep just enough money to handle transactions with on-line sites that you are suspicious of, which in the OP's case obviously includes PayPal.

Here is how our family handles our finances.

99% of our purchases and expenses are paid by credit card. We have several credit card accounts. Each one refunds at least 1% of our purchases back to us. Most of the time by picking the proper card for any given purchase, we are refunded more than that (up to 5%). (try to get that return with a savings account today) We never charge more than we can pay off each month (with the exception of large items which we must finance), and never get a credit card that has an annual fee. When we pay a credit card, it is done on-line and the money is electronically transferred from one of our checking accounts.

Credit card companies (generally banks) are very responsive and quickly rectify erroneous or false charges.

I feel that my checking accounts numbers are much safer than they would be if I was going around town giving my checks (which contains bank name, routing number and account number) to every Tom, Dick, or Harry that I owed money to or bought something from. I would have just given every one of them all the info they would need on my checking account to allow them to defraud me.

When I buy or pay something with PayPal, I use one of the few credit cards that I have on file. That way I get money back on each purchase there also. If you are concerned about their reliability, just limit the amount of your money they have access to with a separate account.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote