Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
The golden rivet has let me in! ha! Here's a pic of my new porch lite eyebrow trim! Looks awesome next to the porthole!

jp
Nice job on the eyebrow. I remember getting a pair of those from J.C.Whitney for the headlights on my 59 Ford Fairlane Galaxie 500 when I was a kid.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #22
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Just to restate:

Members have 100MB of storage space in the photo section but only 5 MB for attachments to threads. The two sections are unrelated.

The best way to handle the 5 MB limit it to reduce the size of your images before you attach them to a post. There is absolutely no reason to attach a large file to a post. Alternately, You can post a pic in your gallery and link to it from your post. There are a bunch of online file size reduction tools available - here are a few:

Free Online Picture Resizer - Crop and Resize photos, images, or pictures online for free!
Web Resizer - Free online photo resizing - Optimize, crop, resize pictures for websites, myspace, facebook and email - WebResizer

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
I have been posting pictures on blogs for some time now and each one is somewhat different. The one thing that I almost always do is when posting to your gallery you have to taken them right off your hard drive generally because that is the only way that you can do it. BUT when posting a picture to a thread I never take them from my hard drive. What I do is use Photobucket.com
Now there are many Photo hosting web sites like this but, I like it the best it's free. You are able to store almost unlimited amount of photos there I personally have over 1000. The big reason I am telling you all this to get to the point is if you use a photo web site to host your pictures it does not take up any of your allotted space on the blog that you are posting them on. Also the pictures that you post can be larger. Another benefit is you can have albums there that you can share with friends and family. This site is very user friendly try it I think you will like it. "Grass Hoppa"

SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Hi Shari,
Pretty much the same thing is happening to me. I just deleted all (4) of the pictures in my photo album. Thank you for providing the instructions. While attempting to post a picture as an attachment to a thread, I get the message that I am over my 5 MB limit, and refers me to a link where I can view my attachments. When I go there, they are all listed, but I don't believe there is a way to remove them. I guess my question is: Are the attachment pictures there forever, using up my allowance forever? Or is there a way to delete the pictures I posted to a thread?
Thanks for all your help.
Okay, I got it.

It does not appear that members have the option to manage their photos upload into posts/threads. You do in the Photo Gallery though. So the best thing to do would be to upload them there add link to the post/thread or use another web based server (personal or something like photo bucket) to host them.

I will see if there is another way to make it so members can manage their post/threads - I know I can as a mod, so it is possible - what I don't know is if it can be made so for all members.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to a contributing member as others have mentioned which will get you by for awahile...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Shari,

I would appreciate any help you can give me on how to back-manage my attachments. I have over 400 attachments, and most of them (not all, but most) are used to illustrate some point that couldn't be described in a narrative. Like my pictures of how a cleco works.

I don't want to stop posting attachments, but I'm way over the limit that I didn't know I had.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
picture problems

Seems to me that the posting of pictures to threads to "show and tell" is what this forums is all about. The old saying that a picture is worth 1,000 words is the TRUTH!!! Most of the threads that discuss repairs and problems use the picts to show exactly what we need to see in order to follow others' directions. It is a shame to lose that feature. I hope that you will be able to rethink shutting that picture posting down.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
The best way to handle the 5 MB limit it to reduce the size of your images before you attach them to a post. There is absolutely no reason to attach a large file to a post. Alternately, You can post a pic in your gallery and link to it from your post. There are a bunch of online file size reduction tools available - here are a few:
Good old Microsoft Paint will do the reduction as well. Under edit just enter a % value for shrinking (horizontal and verticle should be the same value obviously) and voile! You can check properties to see what the current size is in pixels. If you enter a smaller value for number of pixels it will crop the picture. It will only cut off the bottom and right side but you can use flip horizontal and flip verticle to trim the left and top and then flip it back. Photoshop it ain't but it's something most people have readily at hand and it gets the job done PDQ

Oh, and of course you can also link to other picture storage sights like a Flicker account which is nice if you have an album of related pictures.

Right on about not needing to post a 5Mb image to a thread. Is there a way to set a file size limit so that people don't find out several months down the line that they've squandered their alotment?
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
I sure that some of you don't realize that for AirForums to host all of these image eats up an enormous amount of web space. By using a "Photo Hosting" web site like Photobucket.com it helps this site. Also if you use a hosting site the page will load faster because they are not on the site you are viewing. Please take a look at some these sites once you get used to using them you'll wonder why you didn't use them sooner. Here are a few below. Although I do like Photobucket.com the best. They have never let me down. I have used them for the longest. One thing that is a real plus when using photobucket is that you not have to worry about the size of your files, although if you size them smaller they will download faster.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

VillagePhotos-Free photo hosting, free image hosting, picture upload, free picture hosting, eBay selling tools, listing management, picture hosting and image management.

ImageShack® - Hosting
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
One of the advantages of having your photos hosted off-site, at AirPhotos or on a web server (like photo bucket or ???) is that you can insert photos between text as discussed in this old post.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 08-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Not sure. Were you trying to upload pics to a post or to your gallery?

Shari
Trying to upload a pic to a post.

Quote:
Just to restate:

Members have 100MB of storage space in the photo section but only 5 MB for attachments to threads. The two sections are unrelated.
Reverse that would be great I think that's the best place to post pics as that helps illustrate what you are talking about in a specific thread. The "Show and Tell."

Quote:
Alternately, You can post a pic in your gallery and link to it from your post.
I hadn't thought of that (mainly because I didn't know what my limit was), but it's helpful to know.

Quote:
One of the advantages of having your photos hosted off-site, at AirPhotos or on a web server (like photo bucket or ???) is that you can insert photos between text as discussed in this old post.

Shari
That's definitely the best part of hosting them off-site!
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
That's definitely the best part of hosting them off-site!
...or in your "photo gallery" - same thing.

Shari

Old 08-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #32
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I would suggest to use the airforums photo gallery over another site.

The problem is these free hosting services come and go all the time. If the thread photos are hosted there, and someone is researching something six months later... they will get a little red X instead of the answer to their most desperate AS problem.

Keep the images here where there is control. Perhaps this is good enough reason to raise the limit. I undertand the reason is to help gently urge people to be supporting members, but I'd hate to see the informative forum filled with red X's....
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #33
_

. , .
are these limits CLEARLY posted somewhere?

i have NO photos is the gallery section, perferring to include/attach them to posts.

i've noticed the size for attachments has gradually increased from 600x600 and 100kb...

to 1000x1000 and 300kb

and now to 1600x1600 and 1mb.

that's great.

but these attachments still show up small IN the thread unless opened in a new window right?

LIMITS

i've got 650 attachments totaling 76 mb, is this total unlimited because of contributing member status?

IF i drop c/m status will these attachments disappear?

i'm happy with the 30 minute limit of post editing, so removing attachments months/years later is part of that....

we've had members remove dozens/hundreds of photos that were inside threads, which really really sucked AND hurt the thread...

sort of 'if i can't be the boss, i'm takin the ball home' mentality....

but i've got another 100 or so pics include in upcoming posts...

and don't want to hit some limit.

one advantage of the 'attachment' approach is the 'download count' on attachments...

i've got some with well over 1000 downloads (whatever that means) which is pretty cool.

it seems to me most of the a/s related photos do add significantly to the forums...

but including REALLY REALLY large photos IN a thread (like some have done on the monthly contests) might be excessive.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Okay, so here is a clarification for you all....

If you are a regular AirForums member, you get 5MB worth of photo space to upload into posts/threads - no matter what. If you are a gold rivet "Supporting Member" there is no limit to the number of photos you can upload into posts/threads.

When you sign up as a supporting member, it is for one year...if you choose not to re-contribute after the year lapses, your photos don't get stripped out even if you are over 5MB - you just won't be able to add any more to new posts/threads. If you re-contribute as a supporting member for another year, then your photo posting ability is unlimited again ~

So the bottomline is posting unlimited photos in threads is a privledge gained by being a supporting member...otherwise, the limit is 5MB.

As mentioned earlier, your photo gallery (100MB) or another hosting website is another option to allow you to post photos without contributing...

Hope this helps ~

Shari

Old 08-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up Excellent!

Quote:
If you are a regular AirForums member, you get 5MB worth of photo space to upload into posts/threads - no matter what. If you are a gold rivet "Supporting Member" there is no limit to the number of photos you can upload into posts/threads. ...

So the bottomline is posting unlimited photos in threads is a privledge gained by being a supporting member...otherwise, the limit is 5MB. ...

Hope this helps ~

Shari
This is the clarification I was looking for! The large majority of my attached photographs were at the request of other members, and if I had known about the 5 MB limit on attachments, I suppose I wouldn't have squandered it away so carelessly. I've had a Photobucket account for about a year now for sharing family pictures. I guess I'll need to refamiliarize myself with it... if I can remember my password.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #36
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
now, if only I could hit a magic button and make all my thread attachments pop into my photo album...

maybe in ASF 2.0....

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Ok, I've Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
but including REALLY REALLY large photos IN a thread (like some have done on the monthly contests) might be excessive.

cheers
2air'
Guilty as charged, for the monthly photo contest. It strikes me as the one thread that justifies large photos. It is a photo contest.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #38
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
So how do I include a pic from my "member photo gallery" into a thread I'm posting on?
Remember I'm a computor stooge. Make it easy.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Link to Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
So how do I include a pic from my "member photo gallery" into a thread I'm posting on?
Remember I'm a computor stooge. Make it easy.

Hi Doorgunner,

I went to my photos and copied the address at the top of my browser while looking at the photo I wanted to include. (It is that line at the top that starts with “http://”. Copy (Control C Windows, Command {Apple} C Mac} the entire line.) In this case it is the higher res version. Then I pasted it into the body of the message.

http://airforums.com/photos/showimag...899&original=1

Then I am linked without another upload.

Ok, I will become a supporting member soon.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #40
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
now, if only I could hit a magic button and make all my thread attachments pop into my photo album...

maybe in ASF 2.0....

jp
That sure would be nice. I'm not gonna go through 433 photos and move them. Way too much effort.

I guess I don't understand why the server is big enough to hold 100Mb in the photo albums, but can't hold more than 5Mb for the thread attachments. Are they different servers?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote