Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #1

2010 28' International
Herndon , Virginia
Newbe with Electric Jack Issues

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2010 28 International signature CCD. Recently, when I went to raise the camper, the jack was dead and the light wasn't working either. Batteries were at 100%. The electric Jack is a Barker 3000 VIP. I researched the issue on Air forums and first trying replacing the fuse. I got a slow burn fuse and when I put it in and tried the jack, it turned on for a second then quit. I then called Barker (great customer service). Barker sent me out a new switch and I installed the new switch today. I still have no power. double checked the wiring and everything is correct from pictures I took before removing old switch. Any ideas? I also look at where I think the ground is and this seemed fine. Not sure if I am looking at the right place.

My trailer did not come with a manual wrench and I had to order one. I also tried to raise the trailer using this. The gears move easily in both directions for about a quarter of a turn and then seem to get stuck. The won't budge. I put some pressure to it but did not want to push to hard for fear of breaking the gears. is this normal? How hard is it to manually crank the trailer up?

Anyways, my camper is at my storage facility and I am dying to get out and explore, but cannot raise the trailer. Do I need a new power jack? Also, I am not sure how to install a new power jack, since I cannot raise the trailer at all to get something underneath it to hold it up. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am becoming frustrated.

Chris
Northern VA
cmoymmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
It getting stuck in manual after a couple turns seems like there is something else going on other than the switch or ground.

I just had this issue when retrieving an argosy for a friend, the electric jack died then one of the screws stripped so we couldn’t get at the manual function. Luckily I have a farm jack (the things Jeep folks have strapped to their hood but don’t know the purpose of) and we swapped the electric one for an all manual one.

Ditch the electric jack, buy a decent manual one and swap it out with the aid of a farm jack and a couple jack stands. Firmly chock your wheels (just in case that needs saying...).

Just think of how toned your arms will be after a few dozen times hitching and unhitching...

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

Look for a short where the wires pass under the tank cover.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A861143C-026A-4B0B-A8EC-6DD87638BCD3_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	392362  
Old 04-07-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Get a new jack

If the gears are stuck or binding it’s not worth messing with. Changing the Jack isn’t terribly expensive and not hard at all to do.

Electric vs manual? Your choice, but I’d go electric. The Husky jacks have a good reputation
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoymmm View Post
Anyways, my camper is at my storage facility and I am dying to get out and explore, but cannot raise the trailer. Do I need a new power jack? Also, I am not sure how to install a new power jack, since I cannot raise the trailer at all to get something underneath it to hold it up. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am becoming frustrated.

Chris
Northern VA
Hi, Chris, greetings from central Kentucky and welcome to the forum.
Early spring 2020 I removed my electric jack (Barker) to clean it up and repaint it. I jacked it up with a floor jack but a screw jack or bottle jack would work. Chock the wheels, both sides, front and back. Disconnect the electric jack's wire from the batteries.

Put the jack under the hitch coupler (block of wood for protection) or find a good spot on the edge of the A frame near the front, then raise it up. You may need a concrete or wood block under the jack. Once raised, put 2 jack stands near the front, on each side of the A frame, then lower the AS onto the stands.

There are 3 grade-5 bolts holding the jack to the A frame. Remove these bolts (you may need some penetrating oil, the bolt holes are threaded) and you should be able to lift the jack out of the frame. When it doesn't have any weight on the gears it's easier to turn. However, there's no way to access the gears, it's a sealed unit. At least mine is.

I'm including the PDF of my owner's manual, maybe that can help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Barker superjack.pdf (393.4 KB, 38 views)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:06 PM   #6
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Check this thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...cs-187676.html

I had a similar failure to yours. When I removed the cap with the level, there was a square tube I could turn with a 7/16 socket on an extension, it is hard to turn when under load.

My problem was the ground connection which goes through the jack tube to the frame. I had to remove the jack to clean up the frame and mounting plate and I replaced the bolts and star washer under the mounting plate.

Since you replaced the switch, you know how to take the cover off. Apply 12 v to the input line and ground directly to one of the bolt heads on top of the drive unit. If the light comes on when you throw the switch you have made the proper connection. If not, check for a burned out bulb or loose connection to the light.

If the motor spins when you toggle the switch, then you are good on the jack - check the ground connection.

If the motor does not spin, take the red and black wires off the center blades on the side of the up/dn switch and connect directly to 12 v and ground (I used a battery charger for this since it can protect itself from a short circuit). If the motor spins, it is good. If it does not, Time for a new power head.

My unit had three switches, the up/down toggle and two limit switches under the cover. There are multiple connections and many of them were loose, or corroded so check, clean and adjust everything while you have the lid off.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
North Royalton , Arizona
Bottle jacks to lift or jack stands after lift with hydraulic jack. Easy to change with electric once lifted. I did mine two months ago. Replaced the old Barker elect. jack with Husky Super Brute 5000 with remote (Under $250, check online for better price). Super nice and much quieter than the old Barker. Good luck!
Melucy2airs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:39 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
North Royalton , Arizona
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3543.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	395378

It can be done under one hour. Mine took longer because I have to install it sideways to accommodate the 3-flag pole holder, had to drill 3 new holes.

Good luck
Melucy2airs is offline   Reply With Quote