Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #201
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
printing enhancement?

I sometimes like to print a complete thread to read later, offline or away.

if you print from your browser, you get everything on the screen, including the useless unrelated stuff (yes, I realize that some of that represents revenue to the Forum owner.) and lots of white space.

if you use "thread tools" to create a "printable version", you lose the pictures that are often the point of printing the thread.

can we have a printable version with the pictures, please?

(or, have I missed the answer that already exists?)

thanks!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #202
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
sending email messages via "Contact Info" in the user profile

hi,

the ability to 'CC' the message you are sending to your own email account, please?

thanks!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #203
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
new user tutorials - search before posting

a new user should be "encouraged" by whatever polite, direct, and firm means

to first read about, learn, understand and use the "search" tool(s) before they begin posting their questions...

Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #204
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post

to first read about, learn, understand and use the "search" tool(s) before they begin posting their questions...
I sympathize with what you are saying, but not the way you seem to be suggesting.

A good number of first or perhaps second posts are new users who come here because they have a problem. I believe the first thing we should think about is helping them with their problem. If that means repeating information that is already posted in a number of places, then it should be reposted. Part of helping them is often directing them to where the information is posted. Once their problem is dealt with then, then it is time to show them how the search tools work.

I have seen too many posts on too many other forums where an "experienced user" is taking some new user to task for asking the same question that has been asked many times by others. I think the more proper way to handle the situation is, if appropriate, show the the links resulting from a search along with where the search function is located. If that is not appropropriate, then just help with their issue.

If an a member is annoyed by repeated questions be first time posters, my suggestion to them would be to leave it to others with more patience.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #205
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Doing a bit of catch-up here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
How about updating the allowable file extensions to include those currently in use?
Gosh Vaughan, just why would we want to do that? Okay, okay... I've added .xlsx & .docx extensions. Powerpoint possibilities may not be up to the mod team but I'll get back to you on this.

Quote:
if you print from your browser, you get everything on the screen, including the useless unrelated stuff (yes, I realize that some of that represents revenue to the Forum owner.) and lots of white space.

if you use "thread tools" to create a "printable version", you lose the pictures that are often the point of printing the thread.
I had a project once where I wanted the pictures with me out in the driveway -- copied whole thread pages into Wordpad on a PC (pictures included) -- but the editing out of extraneous page info was a pain. I'm not sure that the capability to include image attachments exists within the vBulletin forum software for 'Show Printable Version' (Thread tools) but will look into this though.

Quote:
the ability to 'CC' the message you are sending to your own email account, please?
You currently have this capability if your profile has 'Send Notification Email When a Private Message is Received' is turned on (jm2 - yours' is). Add your username to the 'Recipient Username' line (separated by semicolon). But you already have a copy of the PM -- Open 'Your Notifications' at upper right of page, open 'Unread Private Messages'; then at the 'Folder Controls' box at 'Jump to Folder', scroll to 'Sent Items' and select 'Go'.

Quote:

This would address a common issue but be ineffective in the end. New signups must click through/accept our Community Rules already and I'm not sure who could recall even the major points there. ('Be Nice!' Okay, I suppose so...) The fraction of new members who post and then the fraction of those who have more than a dozen posts -- and still manage to earn a search tutorial in that period -- it is more a sure thing to respond politely to each of those individuals and bring them up to a higher level of participation.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks Bob!

I don't necessarily anticipate needing to post PowerPoint presentations, but I did start one that showed the planned effects of switching the speaker connections using PP animations. (Settled on a much simpler switching system, and still haven't created the thread about my stereo upgrade ) I mainly mentioned it because it's part of the Office Suite.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Know that I receive a lot of .pps feel-good emails from my 90 y.o. mom. Can't say I've opened more than one or two in the last 10 years. She doesn't read AIR .. I think.

But they have a place and I've sat through many nicely done presentations professionally. Willing to give you a chance -- will get back to you.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #208
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Can Airforums do something like this for courtesy parking location? I know members are already searchable, but in order to really see where a person is, one has to then search google maps or similar with the returned city/state. The WBCCI figured it out...I would think it would be a snap for Airforums.

http://wbcci.org/club-information/co...sy-parking-map
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #209
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Can Airforums do something like this for courtesy parking location? I know members are already searchable, but in order to really see where a person is, one has to then search google maps or similar with the returned city/state. The WBCCI figured it out...I would think it would be a snap for Airforums.

WineStream,
Way to go !! Brilliant idea and hope it gets approved and implemented fast. Thanks for your greatness, it flows easier with few glasses of wine.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #210

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post

Hi Jason,

Good idea. We'll look into this.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #211
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
How do I post a picture in a reply in a thread? Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #212
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothayer1 View Post
You will see a "Go Advanced" button. If you select that, the same dialogue for adding one (or more) photos that was available when the thread was created is there.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #213
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothayer1 View Post
I upload images on a variety of subjects to photobucket.com. When I want to share one, they give give me computer-language-words to include in the post which results in a click-to-enlarge-image:

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #214

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
I upload images on a variety of subjects to photobucket.com. When I want to share one, they give give me computer-language-words to include in the post which results in a click-to-enlarge-image:

Tom
If you select from the next row on the Photobucket page (the one that says "direct link" instead of the one that says "email & IM" you'll get a photo posted that doesn't take them back to your own photobucket page, it stays on AIRForums but gets bigger. Like this one I took to evaluate the hitch settings with the new axles:

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #215
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Internet Privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If you select from the next row ... Like this one I took to evaluate the hitch settings with the new axles..
Or this one from last week's pressure-fried chicken:

I never post anything but fun images on photobucket. Comments are welcome on any/all images there.

But DKB_SATX did raise a valid privacy concern.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #216
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
viewing Photos with Droid Tablet

Does anyone else have trouble viewing photos on a Droid tablet? When reading a thread some of the photos will show and some will not. It does not seem to be an issue with connection as I am able to pull down any other content. It seems to happen randomly. Some threads I can get all the photos and other times it they all show up as gray squares. Sometimes it seems like new photos come in better than ones that have been posted some time back. Sometimes I can see the small thumbnail photo in the post but it will not open in the viewer. When this happens I usually just go the computer to look at the photo.

I never have any problem with the forum on the computer. Any thoughts are welcome.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #217
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillpoints View Post
Does anyone else have trouble viewing photos on a Droid tablet? When reading a thread some of the photos will show and some will not. It does not seem to be an issue with connection as I am able to pull down any other content. It seems to happen randomly. Some threads I can get all the photos and other times it they all show up as gray squares. Sometimes it seems like new photos come in better than ones that have been posted some time back. Sometimes I can see the small thumbnail photo in the post but it will not open in the viewer. When this happens I usually just go the computer to look at the photo.

I never have any problem with the forum on the computer. Any thoughts are welcome.
Are you using the app or a browser? I use Android can do a bit of checking for you.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #218

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillpoints View Post

I frequently observe this behavior with the Android app on a phone.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #219
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Are you using the app or a browser? I use Android can do a bit of checking for you.

Aaron
It is when I am using the app. I used to think it was just my old phone but thos is a new Samsung note 8.

When I use the browser it usually comes in but it is much slower and has some other issues with how large they can be viewed.

Thanks for checking.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #220
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I frequently observe this behavior with the Android app on a phone.
I too often have trouble viewing photos posted in threads with an Android phone using the Airforums app. Currently this is with a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, but I also had the same problem with my previous Android Phone.

The problems I have encountered include that sometimes the small thumbnail photo on the message comes in fine, but sometimes it only comes in as a gray box. If I click on the tiny photo, it sometimes loads a larger photo, sometimes nothing. If I click on the tiny gray box it tries to load the larger photo, but is never successful. If I immediately reload the page on my photo, nothing changes, but if I come back to that thread hours later, the photos that previous wouldn't load might then load, and ones that previously loaded might not load. It seems to be a random problem, not something perfectly repeatable. Overall I'd estimate that I can view about 50% of the photos attached to a thread at any time.

I also find it unfortunate that when a larger photo does load on my phone it is fixed at the size of my screen. I cannot enlarge it using the pinch technique expand it to look at finer details. This is about the only case I have ever seen looking at photos on my phone where I cannot enlarge them using the pinch technique. I think this too might be a bug.

Interestingly, photos posted to Airforums classified ads can/could be veiwed and enlarged without problems on both of my Android phones.

I hope this additional detail helps the developers.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote