Old 03-27-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
New Classifieds Page Next Week March 31

We have been busy building a new classifieds page for AIR and Next Tuesday night (march 31) classifieds will be unavailable for a few hours as we move to the new platform. We'll move all active ads

Here's some basic info about using classifieds:

Posting For Sale and Wanted ads:
  • Any AIR member can post a new ad or respond to an existing on and there is no charge.
  • When a new ad is posted a new thread will be created in this forum automatically. It will include a link to the ad itself as well as some of the info from the ad and helps give greater visibility to ads. There is no "new thread" button in this classifieds forum however as all ads should be placed from the classifieds page.

Logging into the classifieds page:
There is a login button at the top right of the page and you can login with your usual info. Tick the 'stay logged in button'
Two-factor authentication:
In order to post an ad for the first time you will need to verify your account via sms (we text you a code which you then paste into the verification field). The new requirement of two-factor authentication is a security measure and while we understand it's an extra step it also is a needed security measure. Scammers are a growing problem in the RV footprint and we want to be proactive about this to help keep members safe.

If you are unable to complete this process and contact us via the contact link at the bottom of the page for some help.
Editing Ads:
Members can edit their ads and add photos or additional text. Once your item has been sold please mark the ad "SOLD" and the ad will disappear after a few days.
Problem ads
There is a report function (look for the triangle icon) on each ad to report a problem. This will send an alert to the site team who will check out the issue and take any needed action.
Ad posting rules:
All ads need to meet the basic guidelines for this site.
Please review these if you are unsure about whether your ad is appropriate.
Posting ad referrals
Referral ads are ads found on craiglist and in local papers and listings. Do not post then on on the new classifieds page.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Good work.

NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
Looking for 1st AS

2014 16' Sport
Currently Looking...
California , MD
I cannot get the "Sort by" function (e.g., Sort by 'Newest First') to work as it did before. Using it results in a return of "No result. Refine your search using other criteria."
cjw81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Nice job.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #5

Wilkes Barre , Pennsylvania
Looks great! I can't imagine all the hard work it must of taken. Just a heads up, there is a glitch returning filtered search results. Does not appear to be browser related. Seems to be related to two criteria when used in combination, Year and Sort by. If you use or add the criteria Year Range = any selection and Sort By = any selection you return zero results. You can return results only if you do not use sort and year in combination. Good luck getting it sorted. Take care out there.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Question Older ads

Thanks fo the new addition,
I have a question regarding the classifieds under parts an appliances. The earlier history seems to be gone. There were 9 pages of classifieds with many of them still active. I have personally sold items from an old ad and have also contacted a seller from them. Did you delete those or are they still available somewhere? I am currently looking for a posting that was a couple of months old to contact the seller. I am hopeful they are still available.
Thanks,
Ken M
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
HUGE improvement! Thanks!
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:31 AM   #8

Anywhere , Virginia
Sorry, Not A Fan

Thanks, but the new Classifieds section represents a huge missed opportunity to improve this potentially very valuable on-line resource.

The old version was long overdue for an update so we were excited to see that there was finally a new version available. We were quickly disappointed to find that the new version isn't much better than the old and in ways is even harder to use.

This new Classifieds section feels like the design team hasn't spent much time actually searching for a specific model in a specific region (as my wife and I have for over two years now). I say that for these reasons :
  • You *still* can't search by multiple selected states or pre-defined region (say 'Mid-Atlantic').
  • No ability to search by distance from zip code.
  • The daily e-mail summaries are less informative than before (in the last few days they haven't show item location, which is very important as we have no interest in a West Coast unit)
  • The Filter By Year Range needs to be more flexible. Let us pick 'Oldest' and 'Newest' model year.
  • The Filter By Length needs to be more flexible. Let us pick 'Min' and 'Max' values.
  • The Filter By Model needs to be more flexible. Let us pick more than one, for example 'Classic' and 'Flying Cloud'. The generic coding for drop-down menus has allowed multiple selections via Ctrl-click for years now.
  • When you drill down into an ad you're still prompted to 'Login or register to post to this thread' when the page header clearly indicates that I *am* logged in.
  • It would be great to have a checkbox that would let you block the display of Featured Ads as they really ruin the efficiency of searches done to find new listings. You see the same unsold rigs over and over.
  • There's too much 'above the fold' space taken by useless Browse By Category box. Once an ad is selected that should go away because it causes excess scrolling.
  • There's no keyword search capability (for example 'twin' or better yet 'twin, oven, recliners').
  • The 'Country' drop-down should be defaulted to 'United States' as I'm sure that the vast majority of your site visitors live there. You're making all those people take an extra step to select 'United States' to gain access to the 'States' drop-down to allow for smaller group of users in Canada, New Zealand, and Australia.
  • There's a perceptible and quite annoying lag after new drop-down values are selected as the page is re-painted.
  • There needs to be a filter so that you can block 'Sold' items, especially from the heat map display
  • It would be great to have a checkbox that says "Yes, I've seen this ad and it's of no interest' so that it won't keep showing up in future searches
Our perfect search? The ability to find a trailer matching this spec without having to open and read an excessive number of ads :
  • Flying Cloud or Classic
  • 30-31 feet (we want a 30 but people often list them as 31's)
  • 2005-2014 model year
  • Twin beds
  • Recliners
  • Oven
  • Somewhere in VA, NC, SC, MD, PA, WV, OH
  • Title in hand, i.e. no liens
  • Non-smoking
  • No pets
I'd suggest that you check out the Search function on RVT.com - it's a better model of what an ad search engine can be, although still not perfect as they have far too many featured ads displayed above the actual search results. As with Airstream Classifieds I simply ignore all Featured Ads and scroll down to the 'real' ones.

For what it's worth ...

P.S. Please update that banner photo of the Tundra in the Routt Forest with something new - how about a carousel of images so that there's a bit of visual variety?
sw23185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Well, you're welcome to pay a broker to find just what you want without any effort if you're unsatisfied with free resources at your disposal, use your time and money as you see fit.

I don't think you understand what the featured ads on AirstreamClassifieds are, however, if you simply ignore them. They are ads placed almost exclusively by individual sellers paying for ad placement within the pages. It's unlikely someone is going to pay a fee to place a fake ad in this context, so your characterization of the free ads as "real" ones suggests you think the featured ones are not real, which further suggests you don't really know as much as you clearly think you do.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:22 AM   #10

Anywhere , Virginia
Thanks for ignoring all of the feedback regarding missed opportunities with functionality for the new search tool.

My comment about Featured Ads has nothing to do with whether they're real of fake, it's merely reflective the fact that I don't like having ads forced in front of me. The search results should be based on the relevance of the content vs. my search parameters, not whether or not somebody has given you their credit card numbers.

Use a broker? You must be kidding.
sw23185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw23185 View Post
Thanks for ignoring all of the feedback regarding missed opportunities with functionality for the new search tool.

My comment about Featured Ads has nothing to do with whether they're real of fake, it's merely reflective the fact that I don't like having ads forced in front of me. The search results should be based on the relevance of the content vs. my search parameters, not whether or not somebody has given you their credit card numbers.

Use a broker? You must be kidding.
You actually said you scroll past all the featured ads to the "real" ones. If you're no more able to parse English than to think that doesn't mean you consider the featured ads to NOT be real, well, that also doesn't speak well for how much one should heed your other suggestions.

You are welcome to express your high-handed unsolicited opinions, and others are welcome to make observations about them. I'm just a moderator, not the site owner, I neither designed nor coded the new classifieds, so it doesn't matter whether I would ignore your feedback for "missed opportunities" because of your presentation of it.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw23185 View Post

For what it's worth ...

P.S. Please update that banner photo of the Tundra in the Routt Forest with something new - how about a carousel of images so that there's a bit of visual variety?

Thanks for the feedback. Some of what you are asking for already exists. You can filter each category in a number of ways including age range and rig length. The rest we're tweaking and I expect you'll see some incremental changes.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote