Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Network Issue Announcement

I just wanted to post an update about reports of super slow page loads at our site. I was able to speak with some members and get some trace route info that helped identify the problem. The server admins looked into the results and they found an issue between our servers and some members. The server admins then contacted the upstream providers and they responded saying "These issues are occurring because the connection between our networks is full."

So here is a brief overview of what is happening. The network the servers use a system that sends the information back and forth over the shortest path in order to try to speed things up. Like taking the shortest road to work. The problem is sometimes there is the equivalent of an online traffic jam and even though the packets are trying to take the shortest path they cannot get through. So they sit there waiting and the pages load really slow.

I am looking at options to change to a different network that uses route optimization to find the fastest path (not always the shortest) to speed things up. This is more like watching the news and finding out where traffic is really bad and picking a new route to work. It might be longer but there is less traffic and you get their faster.

In the short term there is nothing I can do. I apologize for the issues that this backbone provider is causing. Please rest assured I am looking at solutions and hopefully we can get upgraded to a higher quality network as soon as possible.

If you would like to contact us and let us know you are having problems please use the contact us link at the bottom of the page. We can then run some tests so we have more information to understand where the bottlenecks are occurring.

Thanks for you patience,

Andy R
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Andy; You should not have said anything. I thought it was slow because of our (home) antiquated dial-up. HMMMM, I wonder if the Slowbee's are happy?

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Andy,

Does the display after trying to log on: 404 not found, relate to anything on the site's end, or is it on my end? This happened a few times yesterday.
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I keep getting this" support » ‎(no subject) -

support»(no subject) -

I mut have a hundred.

They are coming from: support@airforums.com

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And I've been getting "the server at airforums.com is taking too long to respond. click here to try again"
Old 08-17-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Timed out ...

Hi Andy:

I just got this message on my Firefox browser:

The connection has timed out. The server at www.airforums.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

... but I was able to get on again to post this message.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
thanks for all your hard work :-)

using firefox, i very often get a wait, followed by a blank page and the status bar says "done".
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Hi Andy,

Does the display after trying to log on: 404 not found, relate to anything on the site's end, or is it on my end? This happened a few times yesterday.
Andy,

I have the above happen to me nearly every time I visit. What happens is when I load from the link in my favorites, the loaded page will instantly append the address with profile.php which yields the 404 page. i have tried clearing my cache and replacing the favorite link, but this problem still crops up.

Thanks for looking into these issues.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:49 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have also been getting the "connection has timed-out" message on a somewhat regular basis. Like others, I just assumed that the problem was with my ISP (cable broadband). Usually on a second or third try, it comes through. Thanx for the heads-up on this issue. Hopefully you will be able to work something out.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Andy,
I always start at the "www.airforums/forums" page, and about 50% of the time I get hung up there for approximately a minute while the page loads. Normally it takes about 3-5 seconds. During the hang up, the progress bar reads:

"Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com..."

I hope this helps. Thanks for all you do with the forums. Regardless of any minor issues that may occur, I'm just happy to be here.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Loading time

Andy

It takes us almost 2 minutes to log onto the Forums.

Additionally, when I wish to change to another page, the loading again takes almost 2 minutes.

This is happening when I use AOL. When I use Internet Explorer, everything seems to be fine.

Unfortunately, AOL is our primary.

This never happened until the recent server change.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
It may help to know that I experience no or very little delay. Our service provider is AT&T. Perhaps the "shortest path" method works for us because of AT&T's capacity/size.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Tim,
We have AT&T DSL..perhaps it's the particular plan that we had?..not enough speed?
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Computer slowdown

Hi Andy and group, here is a thought- schools are starting around the country and there thousands of labs that are starting up all over the country. I guess the next couple of weeks will show a hugh jump in interner use. From my experience as a teacher, on of the things that happens in many school labs during the first couple of weeks is experiment and play time. Everybody is adapting to change. Just a thought.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
1992 29' Excella
1976 25' Tradewind
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/2slides
Anacortes , Washington
It's been taking a very long time for pages to load for several days now. We use AOL via a Verizon "air card".

Also, today I noticed that under my Forum sign on name, it said I had 65355 unread, and 6 total private messages. In reality, I had no (zero) unread private messages. After I cleared my mailbox of the 2 stored messages received, the display correctly read "0 unread, 4 total".

Just thought you'd like to know.

WNEW1130
wnew1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Hi Andy,

I get this every time I try to vote on a poll...no other time...if that means anything to helping you the problem.

Thanks or all you do...it's easy to take it all working smoothly for granted and to forget all the time, effort and knowledge that is behind making it all work smoothly and seamlessly...so thanks for making that happen.

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Hi Andy and group, here is a thought- schools are starting around the country and there thousands of labs that are starting up all over the country. I guess the next couple of weeks will show a hugh jump in interner use. From my experience as a teacher, on of the things that happens in many school labs during the first couple of weeks is experiment and play time. Everybody is adapting to change. Just a thought.
Don
mr don,

this is a very interesting observation. thanks for sharing.

kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:49 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't know. I run a school's technology and we have just so much of a pipe to the Internet and the Internet is soooo big, with sooo much bandwidth. Though I couldn't rule out some type of impact, it would be fairly low IMHO.

Speaking as a technology person, here are some observations I have had the last few days FWIW:

Slow pages

Posting a post, being told the database is having an error, going back to resubmit and it posts the post 2x.

Site becomes totally unresponsive in the middle of surfing the site (one minute it's fine, then clicking on another page I get a time out event where my browser produces an error saying the page requested could not be found (Firefox version 2.0.0.6)

**edit** just as I posted this, I got this message again:

There seems to have been a problem with the Airstream Forums database.
Please try again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, whom you can also contact if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.

Which means that by going back, it posted this 2x.

One last observation is that even though it has accepted the post(s) when that last error happens, the database does not place that thread back on top of the top 20 list as one of the most recent threads that have new posts to it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #19
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I am having problems as well. It does not seem to be a bandwidth glitch, however. I am reasonably sure that the forums software has a snafu.
My private messages counter has been showing "2" for several days now, and the pages load slowly.
Only very few of my posts actually go through. I get the same error message as Silvertwinkie.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Error Message on a Reply

I just got the Database Error message on making a reply, but the reply still posted. There are also several threads where messages from yesterday posted twice.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote