Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hey maybe I am a devils advocate in the discussion here and I like to be able to express my opinion openly whether we all agree or not. And my posts are not meant to tick anyone off.

We Peter and I have always been very appreciative of the Owner of this site and the "volunteers" moderators who spend their time managaging us lunatics that have nothing better to do with our time but to hang out here and gab about a really really cool topic - Airstreams and everything to do with Airstreams.

It just touched a nerve...Back in the day when the original "Fourm Stickers" were being tossed around and the design gurus came out of the woodworks to create something fancy and all the discussions surrounding how the heck we were going to pick one. It was a basic concept of coming up with stickers so that we could meet up with our cyber friends on the road.

At best I thought we would be able to buy the souvenir stickers of a great cyber community - but then all too quickly our devotion and dedication to a forum is exploited.

Our knowledge that we share with fellow forum members is reversed and the emphasis placed on what we get or have saved by being here. And soon the monitary value is slapped on it. Yes it is a small donation (I have never disputed that fact) but from the flip side it is a hell of an expensive sticker.

Sure there are several "bling blings" that come with upgrading the "Forum" software that can then be passed on to its members if the managers choose to.

We say our thank yous and we express our appreciation to the people we share things with - to the moderators who help us out, and of course to the owners that decided one day a few years back, that an Airstream forum would be kind of cool.

But to think that this site needs our "donations" to survive - I think not and until someone helps us out on this point our opinion will be the same.

This is a site that is generating great commerce simply because there are 17 thousand + members. Of course it's management is great and is to be commended - but is not done out of the kindness of ones heart - if we think this then we must have our heads in the sand. Andy is a great guy and does great things here - but it is a business - possibly stemming from a Hobby but don't fool yourselves it is a business.

Do I think anyone is better than the other guy because of the number of rivets, or posts or red or green karma, or flashing avatars no - they are just the little anoying things or things to learn that ultimately generate more posts, and the start of new threads to build all the statistics that come right back to the beginning of the circle of change. The more we contribute - post and thread wise - the more interesting it is, the more people will join, the bigger the data base becomes, the bigger the equipment needed the faster and fancier the software becomes the bigger the need for "contributions" whether they be in Advertising, donations, or posts.

More posts are happening now because the search area has become so bogged down with 100's of threads that people just do not have the time anymore to scan through them to get the answers they need. so the posts generate another exploitable statistic to pass on to a potential advertiser and so on......

It is commerce whether we like it or not.

But the point we have a choice not to donate - those who donate should at least have a choice as to how much they wish to be exposed....just as this thread started so innocently - it will probaby end with a foul taste...

But I am still cool - and when I can afford to toss $20.00 bucks for a sticker and some more hard drive space to download some more photos - I probably will but for now I am happy - and if someone needs a few rivets I have far too many....As I am sure a few on this forum will agree

PS Andy and the gang - YOU DO do a great job - but I am still not tossing any coin your way - as I am tossing coin to your advertisers......who in turn toss the coin at you
Old 12-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
....... A LIFE TIME of knowledge from many of you. For that I am grateful. I will contribute in time - that I have already not done so is a point I am ashamed of. ...........
But that is my point I am trying to make - you by all means should not be made to feel ashamed by virtue of how contributions are recognized

I am not ashamed - for I have given at least as much as I have received I hope!!! and the fact that I support the advertisers and other programs linked to this site is a true form of contribution to this community.....
Old 12-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Am I blue? You'd be too...

Gee Sharon all those rivets!

photography
Old 12-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #64
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Grrr...grrr....

...Taking a deep breath...holding it...exhaling...
One reason to change the color of the premium members user names was so they didn't get confused with moderators, whose user names are also bold and blue.
Okay, how about this:
No different color user names.
No bold names
No "contributing member", "sustaining member", "donating member" or anything else.
Premium members get gold rivets where their rivets normally go, and it can be returned to silver at the user's discretion.
This is the best I can come up with, since some folks seem to have taken extreme exception to us trying to honor our promise of shinier rivets if you gave us money.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:18 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Okay, how about this:
No different color user names.
No bold names
No "contributing member", "sustaining member", "donating member" or anything else.
Premium members get gold rivets where their rivets normally go, and it can be returned to silver at the user's discretion.
This is the best I can come up with, since some folks seem to have taken extreme exception to us trying to honor our promise of shinier rivets if you gave us money.
I like that proposal Terry.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
1.If you don't want a colored name or rivet so be it. 2.If you want to contribute solely by posting, great.
3.If you want to sit back and read and not post, thats your choice too.

Now choose 1 of the above and get on with it.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #67
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
What Alan and Terry said.

Moderator hat on:

This thread has about run its course. We, the UNPAID staff here understand that some folks like it, some folks don't. It WILL be modified from its current form. Please see post number 7 in this thread.

Moderator hat off:

Why on earth has this been such a divisive issue? AndyR was simply trying to say “thank you” to the folks that have a couple of extra bucks that, as they say in the movies, “ain’t doin’ nuthin”. If’n ya couple of extra dollars, send it here, if’n ya don’t, yer still welcome here. Remember folks, this is a hobby and a COMMUNITY of
like minded people who enjoy that hobby.

Moderator hat back on:

IF there is any more vitriol, attacking, or otherwise ugly words directed at the ownership, staff or other members or this COMMUNITY, this thread and any subsequent thread will be closed.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 12-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain

i have been north of the cheddar curtain too long....just got back online....what a hoot....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 12-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #69
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
IF there is any more vitriol, attacking, or otherwise ugly words directed at the ownership, staff or other members or this COMMUNITY, this thread and any subsequent thread will be closed.
are we reading the same thread? it is interesting how views vary...

kindly point out these nasties, cuz i don't see 'em...

i'm reading passion and humor and some jabbing from folks who care...

also post #25 asks for feedback about the gold rivets...

feedback is good. none of it seems directed at anyone to me...

except freds fred is evil down boy...

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Daaaamn...I thought the full moon was last week! )
Old 12-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Whew. The tempest is brewing! I'm clearly ignorant about the forum hierarchy, and happily so. Right now my take on it is that we have some dedicated administrators, some very generous and knowledgable moderators, and a diverse collection of fascinating forum members. What more could you want as a resource for a life-style interest? I truly don't care what boldness or colors enhance my username, and seeing them change has been fun and funny, and interesting. I like the fact that someone cares about honoring monetary gifts, but it clearly doesn't mean that those who contribute the far more valuable information and moral support are "lesser" members. Money can't buy the esteem they deserve--and get.
Gratefully,
Janet
Old 12-12-2006, 10:05 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
A Simple Comment...

I just want to say one last thing on this subject and then I won't post anymore to this thread.....
THANK YOU ALL
For my new Gold rivet and color change on my name. Yes, I want to keep them and I do appreciate the recognition. Everyone else can keep theirs or change it back to what ever they wish. Now let's get back to sanity here! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 12-13-2006, 05:40 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
However good the initial intention , the outcome seems to be division , which is not good . A house divided cannot stand .
If funds are needed , simply ask , I believe those in charge would be suprised by the outpouring . It should be quit obvious how much all of us , yea's ,ney's and nuetrals , appreciate this site and the people who make it run . Thank you
Old 12-13-2006, 06:00 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I don't know if Terry is still looking for suggestions but I have one.

I think a different choice of words would be better than the phrase "contributing member." Even though there was clearly no intention, members were offended and feeling slighted and perceiving an unspoken and unintentional inference that their input into the forums was not viewed as a valuable asset.

The other strong opposition is in how highly visable the "monitary reassignment" members stand out for the other members in profile and in the who's online list. It is perhaps a motivator, but it also on a non-dimentional page emblazons, the who and who not, with name, which may be the only identity the majority of forum members have of each other. Subliminal perception of sorts. You can't ignore it. It is definitely up in your face.

I do not think there would have been a problem with rivets or color, it appears a misunderstanding.

I would disable my "Contributing member" line, but the "do not show box" is checked and has no effect.

I appreciate the effort of acknowlegement from the forum, and I respect the feelings of the forum members.

photography
Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 AM   #75
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Once again, I "don't have a dog in this fight" anymore, and I want to make it perfectly clear that I speak only as a member, NOT on behalf of the owner, moderators, or any other group.

To the non-supporting members who have posted negatively to this thread: THIS ISN'T ABOUT YOU! Whether you choose to help support the site at some point is entirely at your discretion. No one is forcing you to donate. No one is forcing you to make a decision whether or not to donate. No one is embarrassing you for not donating. This thread and the idea is about how to recognize those folks who have, and do donate. Management has been discussing how best to recognize and thank those who contribute for MONTHS.

This continuing discussion is ludicrous. The entire issue is moot. It is ridiculous that non-supporting members should feel they have a RIGHT to embarrass or otherwise harangue the management for publicly thanking supporting members because they feel left out. I can't believe that a supporting member would be made to feel ashamed by non-supporting members for being acknowledged by the management for their assistance in supporting the site.

C'mon folks. Grow up. This is a nice thing Andy and the Staff are trying to do for us. Those of you who don't like it, fine, but I re-iterate... THIS ISN'T ABOUT YOU. Either donate or not as you will, but stop trying to spoil something that was supposed to be something nice for those folks who ARE willing to donate.

Roger

Note to Mods... please feel free to shut the thread down any time.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:09 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Much Ado About Nothing...

Roger,

IMHO your thoughts are right on the money. I,for one,will never view this thread again.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
Old 12-13-2006, 07:44 AM   #77
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Thank you all for your feedback. As you know our community is a "work in progress" and we intend to listen to what you have had to say and provide you with a proper response. I am going to summarize some of the main thoughts presented in this discussion and then close this thread while we (the mod/admin team) have some time to discuss and determine the best solution moving forward.

Summary of responses:
  • The name "contributing member" does not accurately define the members who have donated (in exchange for AIR stickers & enhanced account features). There are thousands of members who have contributed via their posts, photos, reviews, moderation/administration time, etc.
  • Class and Division - One of the main points that has been discussed is the feeling that this "labeling" has created a class system (or separation of members). I think the "label" has a lot to do with the percieved seperation. The term "contributing" indeed creates a label that tell other members (who have contributed) that their status is not "contirbuting". So I think if we can find a better term that should make this separation less of an issue.

As for the username color, gold rivet and tag below the username, we will look at more options to continue to recognize our members who have donated but in a more subtle way.
  • The "opt out" feature to hide the "contributing member" status is not working yet. I have not figured out how to make the replacement variables in the templates handle this yet. I know that many of you would use this feature and I will work to get it working ASAP.
Thanks for your patience while we fine tune things.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #78
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
Class and Division - One of the main points that has been discussed is the feeling that this "labeling" has created a class system (or separation of members). I think the "label" has a lot to do with the percieved seperation. The term "contributing" indeed creates a label that tell other members (who have contributed) that their status is not "contirbuting". So I think if we can find a better term that should make this separation less of an issue.
My choosing the name "contributing member" was a bad choice since we have so many members that contribute in many different ways. I have change the name to "Supporting Member".
Quote:
As for the username color, gold rivet and tag below the username, we will look at more options to continue to recognize our members who have donated but in a more subtle way.
I have removed the username color so that members who do not want to be identified as financial supporters can blend in. There was no way to keep the usergroup color and have the "opt out" feature work together.
Quote:
The "opt out" feature to hide the "contributing member" status is not working yet. I have not figured out how to make the replacement variables in the templates handle this yet. I know that many of you would use this feature and I will work to get it working ASAP.
This "opt out" feature is now working. You can "opt out" by going to your profile page which is accessible from your User Control Panel (UserCP) and the on the left clicking on Edit Profile.

Here is a link directly to your profile if you want to opt out:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...do=editprofile

Thanks again for your input and patience while we tweaked the system to create a solution that would address most of the suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	supporting member opt out.png
Views:	135
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	32464  
Closed Thread