Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Montreal , Quebec
my thread disappeared?

Hi there,
I posted 2 threads today in the tow vehicle forum, both have disappeared!
Is it possible for someone to retrieve them as there was very pertinent answers to my queries.
Titles were: 2009 Ford F-150 for 31' and the other New towing vehicle.
I just received two private messages from the forum and when I clic on the link to the forum site I have no messages stored.
Can someone tell me what to do to get back the messages.
Thanks,

Francis
Montreal, Qc, Canada
frank65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can do nothing but repost. See the reason why here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f318...ess-52020.html
Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Another thread mysteriously poofed.
This one about lightning strikes and this was just up tonight the 4th of June.
I posted about five down from the starter and came back to add a link and it was long gone?
I recall Terry (of Inland) posting a comment that it would be fun til the mods snatched it away.
I had no idea of what he was meaning.
What did I miss?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Another thread mysteriously poofed.
This one about lightning strikes and this was just up tonight the 4th of June.
I posted about five down from the starter and came back to add a link and it was long gone?
I recall Terry (of Inland) posting a comment that it would be fun til the mods snatched it away.
I had no idea of what he was meaning.
What did I miss?
The lightning thread was by a newly registered member and had zip to do with airstreams. This sort of post is usually stomped on by the mods in the interest of maintaining the integrity of the site ( I know this, I killed a bunch of these pseudo spam threads when I was a mod). Members with a history of contribution can get by with off beat threads, when the mods kill a thread for long time members there is generally priviate communication letting the member know what happened and why. Other times the guys in the black helicopters disrupt threads......

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Question pseudo spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
The lightning thread was by a newly registered member and had zip to do with airstreams. This sort of post is usually stomped on by the mods in the interest of maintaining the integrity of the site ( I know this, I killed a bunch of these pseudo spam threads when I was a mod). Members with a history of contribution can get by with off beat threads, when the mods kill a thread for long time members there is generally priviate communication letting the member know what happened and why. Other times the guys in the black helicopters disrupt threads......
Rodney,
first I did not know you used to be a mod. Sure are lots of used to be mods around. Why did you give that up?
I recall Terry making the statement that 'Lightning" had nothing to do with Airstreams. Well I surely would vehemently disagree.
Wait til it hits yours, or his, or mine.
Furthermore I posted both a very recent (June 4th) article snippet & link about lightning striking (and killing) people in California (apparently not Airstream related) and a statement that somewhere in the forum archives I had seen a thread about lightning hitting Airstreams and the effects of such occurrences. I said I would search for that link and I did but had my usual trouble searching.
I thought maybe I'd seen it over in the old VAL forums or even Hunters list. And it is a nightmare ordeal searching either of those.
Surely the deleters could see that there was a member who was bringing the thread into an Airstream related discussion.
I did notice the original (first) poster (thread starter) was new. I do not recall any commercial or obscene connotations. But maybe I missed them?
If he/she was legitimate and just meant to bring up a serious (to some anyway) topic, well then he must be thinking wow what a welcome to the group.
I did not notice which forum the new member placed the thread into. But if it had been put into the "off topic" forum would it have still been deleted?
Seems just moving it there would have been more in order. Again, assuming it contained no taboo.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
There are a lot of former mods lurking in the woodwork I suppose. People leave the position for all sorts of reasons including time (you wouldn't believe the amount of time policing the site takes- what looks like smooth water can sometimes be turbulent below the surface) and changing interests.

The lightning thread is a good example of the sort of things the mods sort out. Was the guy passing on good information, but lacking the ability to formally to make the tie in, or was he a one topic enthusiast who goes from forum to forum posting that sort of thing? You might be surprised just how many one note posters there are out there in cyber land.Someone has to make the call.

Ever notice how you don't see offers for free Nokia phones or religious spams here very often (and then for very long)? The reason is mods police the site 24/7 keeping it clear of most of the garbage.

No doubt, if the original poster were to repost-making sure to explicitly tie in the relevance of his/her topic to airstreams, the post would be allowed to stand. And such a thread might even be a productive one. In the mean time, due to the efforts of the mod squad, we are not being deluged with posts offering us larger anatomical parts, free ipods, routes to salvation, or the insights of aardvark enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Sure are lots of used to be mods around. Why did you give that up?

Seems just moving it there would have been more in order. Again, assuming it contained no taboo.
DD,

I'll respond here too. Once. I'll not entertain discussion or questions on this subject; I'm just answering your query publicly since your post would seem to infer that the staff here operates a dungeon, or spy ring, or is doing something nefarious that you can't see and don't get to participate in when we make decisions about how the site is run.

I joined here in 2002 in the early days of the site. I am, by way of employment, a professional and a top level manager. I am also a newly re-minted mod re-tread. I left my position as a Mod here two years ago because I sold my last Airstream as I believe that the staff here ought to own at least one Airstream... it was my own choice, there is no rule about that. I left the position of my own accord, but remained a member. I've now bought another Airstream, and when I re-surfaced with my B-Van, the staff was kind enough to invite me back as a mod again.

As Rodney said... being a moderator is time consuming, and putting up with some of the outlandish behavior and nonsense that the Mod staff puts up with and do it in the spirit of a community-oriented site can be really frustrating and draining in the long-term; especially for a bunch of volunteers who really only joined in the first place to further their interests in Airstreams. Even we moderators don't always agree on a course of action initially, but whatever we do we do in the best interests of the site and it's members. But I truly enjoy the work and hanging out here. And even though I've been interested in Airstreams since I was a kid, and have almost continuously owned something by Airstream since 1987, I still learn new stuff here every day.

All of the staff here are volunteers who have jobs, families, and other interests as well; but we all have a need and a dedication to see the information contained here be accessible to as many folks as possible, and try to make this a friendly and pleasant place for everyone to find the Airstream community. It never ceases to amaze me how some members seem to find fault with that, no matter how we do it.

Last, in the last lines of your post, you're assuming facts not in evidence. Allow me to suggest that in the future, you comment on issues when you have facts rather than hypothesizing based on assumptions. Your assumptions in this case are wrong.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I don't belive that it was inappropriate for Distantdrummer to raise the issue.
The fact that the the rank and file membership does not always appreciate the factors governing moderation of the site largely reflects the fact that so much of operations are effective and seamless. Until you get in the mud and wrestle the pig, there is just a lot you do not know about. Lack of understanding can lead to the perception that the guys in the black helicopters are taking action for no, or bad reasons. Misperception can either fester or be cleared up with the light of day. So, I think it is a good thing that Distantdrummer has asked the question. Now he knows some of what goes on behind the curtain, which is a good thing. To the moderators, currently serving and emeritus, thanks for keeping things humming along.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Hail damage Nightwind15
Today 10:57 AM
by Nightwind15
0 1 shox,Air,max,Ai... chenfeihuang
Today 10:56 AM
by chenfeihuang
0 1 hot sell nike, shox,air max,dunk,air... chenfeihuang
Today 10:55 AM
by chenfeihuang
0 2 free shipping!new prada shoes... chenfeihuang
Today 10:54 AM
by chenfeihuang
0 2 Shell off transmogrificat... truckasaurus
by truckasaurus
126 3,813 cheap sneakers,cheap nike shoes,nike... chenfeihuang
by chenfeihuang
0 2 SELL Evisu jean, Lrg jean, BBC jean,... chenfeihuang
Today 10:52 AM
by chenfeihuang
0 5 Nike,air max,nike jordan,dunk,air... chenfeihuang
Today 10:51 AM
by chenfeihuang
0 2 Good News!!!Cheap wholesale... chenfeihuang
Today 10:50 AM
by chenfeihuang
0 4 Metro-Detroit Rally 2009 drag'nwagon
Today 10:50 AM
by drag'nwagon
426 8,076

This is what I was talking about, Im sure chenfehuang is not long for the world of airforums

Old 06-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Certifiable

. , .
Thumbs up

gone before you posted
Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post

This is what I was talking about, Im sure chenfehuang is not long for the world of airforums
Yeah, and it took him all of 7 minutes to spam us 7 times. He's a pro! But now he's banned and the forum isn't filled with his garbage.

The lightning thread was also a stranger passing by who wanted to market his website with no direct tie to Airstream. We frequently have to weed out this sort of 'viral marketing'.

DistantDrummer, if you would like to post a relevant link on lightning and start a thread about it, you are welcome to. I'm sure it will stir up some interesting discussion.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
DistantDrummer, if you would like to post a relevant link on lightning and start a thread about it, you are welcome to. I'm sure it will stir up some interesting discussion.
Being inside an Airstream or Argost trailer, during a lightning storm is "VERY SAFE."

But, the trailer must be grounded in another way besides the city power cord.

The best way to ground the trailer, is to have the tongue jack, "rest on a metal plate", that is on the ground. Wetting that area with water, will help the grounding.

If your on a concrete or asphalt pad, about the only thing you can do is attach a heavy cable from the trailer, to a good ground or the water pipe that the water hose is connected to.

However, your still pretty safe inside the trailer, if you do nothing.

If the trailer is hit, the lightning could blow a hole in the metal along with making your hair suddenly stand straight up (no kidding and no humor intended).

STAY IN THE TRAILER, until the storm passes or is many miles away.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Give the mods a break, they have a very tough job dealing with all us idiots.

Uhm, Does the fact that lightning will not generally hit things that are not grounded come into play? I mean rubber to the ground and a wooden block are not very good conductors. Cars are rarely struck either for the same reason. I would think grounding the trailer would actually act as a mean to encourage the lightning strike. Also lightning actually originates at the ground and travels up, even though we see it as the other way around.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Being inside an Airstream or Argost trailer, during a lightning storm is "VERY SAFE."

But, the trailer must be grounded in another way besides the city power cord.

The best way to ground the trailer, is to have the tongue jack, "rest on a metal plate", that is on the ground. Wetting that area with water, will help the grounding.

If your on a concrete or asphalt pad, about the only thing you can do is attach a heavy cable from the trailer, to a good ground or the water pipe that the water hose is connected to.

However, your still pretty safe inside the trailer, if you do nothing.

If the trailer is hit, the lightning could blow a hole in the metal along with making your hair suddenly stand straight up (no kidding and no humor intended).

STAY IN THE TRAILER, until the storm passes or is many miles away.

Andy

Hi,

I agree with Andy. We lived in Bertha for 12 months in Tampa Fl, and never had a problem with lightening. We took precautions to make sure grounding was effective and turned off the a/c etc.

Our experience was the airstream was safe during thunder storms. The only problem we had was Sophie is terrified of them and tried to sit on our laps during them.

Marie

« Help!!! | Top | Classifieds »