Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2023, 09:26 PM   #1

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Mt Pleasant , South Carolina
Lemon / Brand New Airstream Pottery Barn

Hi,

Has anyone had a situation where Airstream re-purchased their unit? I bought a Brand New Pottery Barn 2022 for full price last summer. It had problems from day one and had a complete electrical failure after only 3 uses. I called the factory service number more times than I can count.

I made an appointment with a 5-rivet dealer that took 2 months to get me in. They then had my New unit for another 3 months to fix the electrical problem and over 30+ other warranty issues. After 3 months and daily calls from me, they declared it unfixable and must be sent back to Jackson for further repairs.

I'm now almost a year paying on a new Airstream that I haven't been able to use and little confidence that it will ever be right. Plus, the damage and wear/tear from so many hours of technicians trying to fix it.

I feel like Airstream should repurchase the unit for what I paid or replace the unit for an identical trailor.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or advise on this matter.

Thank you very much,
Drew
DrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 05:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
So sad to hear about this. I can only imagine your frustration.

Unfortunately, Jackson Center is going to be your only option at this point. If it can be fixed , they will fix it. I would even try to get in touch with senior management at JC. Social Media will be your friend in this case. Put your situation out there on as many outlets as possible. Airstream will notice, at some point.

As far as lemon laws, I am not sure how, or even if it applies to RV's.

Good Luck , and keep us posted.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Sorry to hear, good luck.
Old 04-21-2023, 06:26 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
There is a lemon law in SC, though I am not sure RVs are covered, it would be worth asking given you seem to me a fair number of the required criteria.

Here is a link to SC lemon laws:

https://consumer.sc.gov/business-res...laws/lemon-law

For what its worth, I did read somewhere that Airstream has in the past, in certain cases, reimbursed a customer for travel expenses, etc. Not that it is a major consolation after spending 5 months trying to get it fixed and most likely having to go the Jackson Center route for any serious repairs, but it is something.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
The best bet is to contact a local attorney that specializes in lemon law cases. They will be able to tell if the law even applies to towable RVs in your state/jurisdiction and be able to help you navigate the process if it does.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
2019 23' International
Tomball , Texas
All RVs are junk and take lots of work. Dealers are worthless and won’t do it right.
That being said, I don’t expect that from Airstream (except for the dealer part).
Talk to Ron Burdge, the RV Lemon lawyer.
https://rvlemonlaw.com
B17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Central Coast , California
Drew, I sent you a private message on this topic.
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:03 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Is the dealer working with AS to return it for repair?
I would take that route with the process being expedited.
I would also ask for the warranty to be extended equal to the time it has been out of service. This may be reasonable to ask for and if it came to a lawyer something achievable.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 12:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Workforce transfer

I feel like Airstream should transfer their repair staff over to manufacturing. If they are the best in the business and making them right, perhaps they could actually make them right. The first time.
Old 04-21-2023, 01:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
I agree

That’s not a very comfortable situation to be in. Jackson Center will fix it and you worded your question correctly so as a certain moderator , a defender of Airstream did not take down your post.

Call JC and please ask for the head of service. You will find they will fix it. I know it’s a long way to trailer the unit. You may want to have it transported. Maybe JC can assist with that ?

Regards
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:29 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Carlisle , Arizona
Book time at Jackson Center NOW! It took us six months to get our eleventh appointment. We just left Jackson Center last week and they were booking appointments for September. Book a whole week. Start with your major concerns and tell them about all repairs needed.
We’ve had our trailer disassembled several times and several members of our local club even had worse problems than us. None of us ever got even an offer for a buy-back or trailer exchange. They will disassemble as much as they have to to make the repairs. Good luck.
mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:52 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Prineville , Oregon
I'm the fortunate one. We had a new 2019 (traded in our 2014) that broke 13 times in 13 trips. Airstream Adventure NW traded it for a 2020 at no cost that has been problem free.

The keys were: 1. Working with the dealer and JC. 2. They sent me down interstate 5 with gas lines unsecured dangling just above the asphalt and the bottom tank cover unsecured properly and the front window shields unsecured. Perhaps the threat of lawsuit based on the pictures I took turned the tide.
ORFC25FBT is offline   Reply With Quote