Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
How do I reduce attachment quota?

I just put up a thread but could not post photos because my attachment quota is full. How do I make some more space?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You can use the edit function of most photo software. Like Picasa.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Contributing members have unlimited attachment storage for threads and posts.......
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can't edit or remove photos after your 15 minute edit window. Your two choices are to get a contributing account, or get a photo account like Photobucket, and link the photos from there.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You have an equal quantity of storage available at your Gallery that probably is going underutilized. Want an image in a thread? Upload that image into your Gallery and then link the photo at the post in question.

For instance, this photo in my gallery -- Glacier N.P., Many Glacier Area

Through the 'manage attachments' link under the posting window, if I try to put the above page link into 'Upload File from a URL' I receive an 'Invalid File' response. You need to extract the actual URL of just the image.

On a PC, right-click on the image and select 'View Image Info' from the menu that opens. Copy the image 'Location' link and paste that URL at the 'Upload File from a URL' field when you are posting. (easier if you follow along on these instructions as you actually are trying to do it)

On a Mac, two-fingered click on the image on the gallery page and select 'Copy Image Address' from the menu that opens. That will put the image URL on your clipboard -- just paste that URL at the 'Upload File from a URL' field when you post.

Do this a few times and the $20 annual contributing member cost might seem reasonable. But it does get more automatic and moves pretty fast once you understand it enough to set up efficient work patterns, working in multiple tabs, etc.

.................................................. .............

One note about pushing back the date your attachment quota gets full -- try to avoid attaching the allowed 1600 pixel maximum size images. 1000 pixels or 1200 pixels shows up just fine on most peoples' computers; eg, 750 x 1000 pixels or 900 x 1200 pixels if your camera aspect ratio is 3:4. Different number apply to 2:3 aspect ratio cameras but most editing software allows proportionate downsizing so you don't have to do the math every time. Paint on a PC has one of the quickest accessible resize functions.

And don't forget -- click 'Save' on your resize and you will overwrite (destroy) your original image file! Pffft, it's gone!! Only click 'Save As..' -- I 'save as' to my desktop so I can find it easily for posting and later deleting.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I might add -- when you successfully copy the link location of just the image, you end up with a page where only the image is visible >> http://www.airforums.com/attachments...r_original.jpg

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The problem is I can not add attached photos to a post. The forum says I have reached my quota. So how do I get rid of old photos from old posts in the forum servers to make more room so I can again attach photos to posts? At this point I am not a contributing member.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Lumatic, members cannot remove attached images. Removing them one by one from the administrative side is a theoretical possibility but not possible in practice. Needing to be done one by one, your volunteer mod crew just cannot get involved in this. It is quite time consuming to remove even 20 and 20 won't keep you attaching pics for very long. Sorry.

Post a single image with your address, phone #, email addy or license plate visible? Then we can listen to individual requests.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
So do I understand correctly there is no way for me to delete past images, even if these images are no longer needed but if I again become a contributing member there is no limit to the space my images from posts can take up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Post a single image with your address, phone #, email addy or license plate visible? Then we can listen to individual requests.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you are asking me to do or suggesting here.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Contributing members will not see images exceeding the basic image capacity go away if their contributing status lapses. Thanks to anyone for contributing when they see fit. Contributing definitely supports keeping the lights on, maintaining our bandwidth capacity, programmer maintenance, future plans, etc. We wholeheartedly welcome anyone who logs in and participates, contributing status or not. I'm on fixed income now and can't listen to requests like I used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
So do I understand correctly there is no way for me to delete past images, even if these images are no longer needed but if I again become a contributing member there is no limit to the space my images from posts can take up?
Correct.

Lum, what I was saying with that last paragraph is that we would remove or edit specific images when there is a strong reason and I gave examples regarding privacy. Other reasonable requests would be considered. The all-volunteer mod crew cannot practically take on requests to spend a good part of a morning removing a few dozen images from one member.

You have 16 images uploaded to your gallery -- hundreds of images shy of your gallery capacity. I gave instructions in my post #5 above for how you can park images in your gallery and then attach those images into posts.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
You have 16 images uploaded to your gallery -- hundreds of images shy of your gallery capacity. I gave instructions in my post #5 above for how you can park images in your gallery and then attach those images into posts.
The issue is not gallery photos. The issue is I tried to attach a photo to a post this morning and the system would not let me. I got a message saying I had reached my attachment quota. I can not upload photos from my computer and attach a photo to any posts. I don't want to add the photo to my photo gallery.

So you are saying in #5 above I could upload photos to my gallery and then be able to attach them to posts? So the only way to attach a photo directly uploaded from my computer now is to become a supporting member?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You got it. You have to send the money in.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
So you are saying in #5 above I could upload photos to my gallery and then be able to attach them to posts?
Yes. The final appearance in a post is exactly the same. Try it once and see what you think. It's a few extra steps but there are ways to streamline your work flow once you get the hang of it.

This image is attached from my gallery to this post:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	St.CroixFalls10-16-05.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	179081  

5 meter Langford Nahanni