Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #41
Rivet Master

I can't find the picture, but..........

There is yet another company that manufactured a luxurious aluminum canned ham. ( Star ....something )
People aren't buying nessesities like cars and winter coats, even if they still have their jobs. Our great country will bounce back, perhap less reliant on petrolium, perhaps with much better batteries. The Scout, which I will call the Holiday, might be a perfect medium for a trailer with an entire roof made out of solar panels. Maybe a built in telescopic mounting pole for a wind turbine. While I am on a roll. How about an exterior propane line for an outside grill, with a quick release connector. Those are just MY visions of the future, as I only boondock. Notice, that was one of the questions on the Airstream survey. ( Do you dry camp or go to campgrounds ? )
I believe the Basecamp was an attempt to tap into the younger market, ( age was another question on the survey) who don't have much money, and who don't mind sleeping in the back of a truck, or in a tent.
Is Airstream Marketing guy ( who didn't leave his name ) thinking about today, or the future? If he is thinking about today, I might suggest manufacturing an Airstream greenhouse, as my people are staying home more ( how often do you camp was another question on the survey) and growing their own food. Look at the jump in seed sales.
I wonder if the Airstream Marketing guy ( who didn't leave his name )
is rolling his eyes, over my naivete'. On the other hand, he may want a mandolin playing consultant. By the way, I will require my own campsite at the Ohio plant. Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

My response to your comments about the "Airstream Marketing guy ( who didn't leave his name )"

To quote number 2 "That would be telling."
(You get a +1 Internet if you know where this quote came from)

Love the speculation. It seems a bit conspiracy theory-ish, what I mean is you're reading way too much into it.

To set the record straight:

We literally are gathering info to gauge the interest level of the Scout and only the Scout.
Anything else is incidental.

Your insights though are very helpful! We appreciate your candor and hope that all things can be considered fully but as many of you know not everything can be or will be implemented for whatever reason (practicality, for instance). Just the same keep the info coming!

BTW you can follow us on twitter!
flackfizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #43
Rivet Master

I think I like this guy ( who didn't leave his name)

Qoate
"Love the speculation. It seems a bit conspiracy theory-ish, what I mean is you're reading way too much into it."

Dude ( who didn't leave his name lol ) THAT is the way.......we roll.

Sir ( who didn't leave his name) I need to know....did you like Airstreams before or after you went to work for them? I think you are lucky either way. I want to be you, when I grow up. Thumbs up and all of that good stuff. Dave ( who left his name, obviously) ( ok I'll stop )

I forgot to tell you...bring back the Argosy, with a mandolin holder option.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #44

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I like the Scout and it's concept. I think that Airstream should do it. I would love to see them on the road.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #45
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I'm with you on this, seems like a step backwards to me.
Not sure I agree... There is a huge market for retro looking products. Look at the slew of 40's styled appliances at home shows, retro styling in cars (think PT cruiser). Not everyone can or wants to restore an vintage rig - they want the retro look with modern function and they want to buy it that way.

Exploring the design possibilities of a concept vehicle is a cool idea. Figuring out how or if to market it is a separate issue however. It will be interesting to see where this goes and I'm thrilled to be asked for an opinion.
caveat: remember the old adage about opinions

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #46
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I like it a lot, but would want to remove all of the techie stuff. No TV, DVD, computer, electronic tank monitor, etc. for me please. I did the survey and said as much there too.

I would lean towards a light 24 foot low option model like an Argosy if I had the funds to purchase something new. Something to comfortably sleep 3 (one of the three being a 6'5" man I don't fit in anything but a guy can dream).

I think I agree that the return of the canned ham is an excellent trend, but not for the Airstream brand.

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Very Cool Product

I like the product. The weight of the unit is inline with the towing capacity of smaller cars and minivans and I suspect this is geared towards folks who are looking for the weekend getaway type of solution.

I recently sold a vintage 65 Globetrotter and had more hits from people that were interested in towing it behind their Cherokee or Toyota Minivan, but even the weight of that was pushing it in some cases.

I think this would be a good step up from the basecamp or T@B.

I think style is important. People are going to gravitate towards it cuz it looks cool and would looker cooler towed behind their Porsche SUV.

Hope to see it on the road someday.

Doug

PS. I think the big broohahah will be the cranks at the WBCCI talking about weather or not to allow it in

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #48
Rivet Master

ooops....my mistake.......

Airstream Marketing Guy might actually be Airstream Marketing Gal
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Guy or gal....what does it matter? It's a department.

But it looks like you lost the 50/50 shot there mandolindave. Nice guess but you lose!

-1 internets for you.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Okay I'll bite..........

To quote number 2 "That would be telling."
(You get a +1 Internet if you know where this quote came from)

A few people have used that quote....James Bond, Pee Wee Herman,
Harry Houdini, and I think Bernie Madoff, but I'm not sure.

And what the heck is a +1 internet Dave
Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
T@Bs new brother?

I really think the Scout would have a better fit in the T@B and T@DA line of trailers. Looks like the Scout is made of some of the same materials. And the teardrop shape is retro like the Scout. And the T@B is a Thor product. I still can't understand why they have not brought over the T@B-XL or the T@B-L. We owned a T@B but the lack of bathroom forced an upgrade, to a Airstream. But we might have bought a T@B-XL, if it was available here.

Didn't want to change the topic, but I think Thor should look to Europe for lightweight and fun looking trailers. We have enought white boxes.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I love the size and simplicity of the 11' Retro Traveller and the Camp Inn 560 Raindrop and 550 Teardrop. Easy to tow with a small vehicle.

But if Airstream could make something like these in a Silver Bullet style and not a Canned Ham style, I'd be interested.

Maybe I'm just dreaming!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Retro Traveller.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	81572   Click image for larger version

Name:	560.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	81573  

Click image for larger version

Name:	550.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	81574  
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

The "Number 2" reference should have gave it away.

Let me try again.
Number 6: Whose side are you on?
Number 2: That would be telling.

Anyway.

+1 or -1 is a reference to point system. It's a joke used throughout the Fark.com forums. Sorry, thought maybe someone might have gotten it.

damonbeals
I can't really speak for other Thor companies or the T@B

European models aren't as wide as US models...believe it or not it does make a difference. IMHO it feels smaller.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
-1 Internet for me

While I know all the cool kids are Twittering and texting these days, this thread is an attempt by a well-established company to seek input from arguably its most devoted customers on a new product. A representative of any company talking to any customer under any circumstances is ill-advised to say or write, "You lose." Trust me on this.

While I realize the comment(s) may be playful and humorous in intent, going onto Airforums to solicit feedback about a new product is a bit like going to the Southern Baptist Convention to seek feedback on a new hymnal. We take our aluminum seriously, hereabouts, and not just on Sunday.

I think seeking this feedback is an inherently good idea. If the folks at Thor are really astute, they will read Gene Crawford's comments very carefully. I think he is spot on.

I'm going to give a little advice to "Airstream Marketing," who I will wager is a young intern assigned to this market research task. Internet forums can be an excellent way for a business to develop information. They are also minefields. One miscommunication can damage a business. The Internet "voice" your friends might find adorable (and makes you "+many Internet") does not necessarily translate to the business world. And this, despite all of the emoticons and jargon, is very much a place where people form the basis for major financial decisions. Erring on the side of formality and civility rarely hurts... in business or in life. You may now proceed to deduct one from my Internet rating.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
While I know all the cool kids are Twittering and texting these days, this thread is an attempt by a well-established company to seek input from arguably its most devoted customers on a new product. A representative of any company talking to any customer under any circumstances is ill-advised to say or write, "You lose." Trust me on this.

While I realize the comment(s) may be playful and humorous in intent, going onto Airforums to solicit feedback about a new product is a bit like going to the Southern Baptist Convention to seek feedback on a new hymnal. We take our aluminum seriously, hereabouts, and not just on Sunday.

I think seeking this feedback is an inherently good idea. If the folks at Thor are really astute, they will read Gene Crawford's comments very carefully. I think he is spot on.

I'm going to give a little advice to "Airstream Marketing," who I will wager is a young intern assigned to this market research task. Internet forums can be an excellent way for a business to develop information. They are also minefields. One miscommunication can damage a business. The Internet "voice" your friends might find adorable (and makes you "+many Internet") does not necessarily translate to the business world. And this, despite all of the emoticons and jargon, is very much a place where people form the basis for major financial decisions. Erring on the side of formality and civility rarely hurts... in business or in life. You may now proceed to deduct one from my Internet rating.
You make an excellent point. Thank you for the gentle check.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #56
Rivet Master

It's also from The Prisoner.

Patrick McGoogan
Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I like the Scout and it's concept. I think that Airstream should do it. I would love to see them on the road.

Brian
Under another name; it's not a Airstream, just like the plastic mo/ho were not
Airstreams. Bring them on, for whatever purpose; I'd never buy one. Wally would be turning over.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #58
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First of all, AM (Airstream Marketing, time for more jargon) claims to be 72, and if so, is the oldest intern on the planet, or if it refers to the age of the department, the department must be younger than the company. But, really, who cares, except Airstream owners who like this kind of arcane detail.

Retro style sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. The Mini Cooper is a successful example as is Mission Oak furniture and Arts and Crafts houses. Art Deco has a following too. What is interesting to me is that the Airstream is to some degree an Art Deco item. Following up with Art Deco interiors is where the company has missed the boat. It seems to me that people who are attracted to the silver bullet styling would find more Art Deco appointments attractive. The partitions in my trailer look like they are covered in 1960's contact paper. I guess that's retro, but an example of retro that doesn't work.

Another styling approach is to go western. I made this recommendation to the company before, but I guess they weren't ready for it. Put a Pendleton bedspread on the bed and Pendleton fabrics on the cushions (much better quality cloth than that used by Airstream now, another quality issue). To pursue an alliance with Pendleton, another company with a long standing positive reputation, would be good marketing.

I don't understand AM's comment that the European model is narrower and feels smaller. Of course it feels smaller because it is. The point is smaller is lighter and the European design might be a way to go in the US and Canada so you can tow with a smaller vehicle—and development costs are very small because you already make them.

Not really what you asked about, AM, but it follows my advice to improve your core brand.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There is yet another company that manufactured a luxurious aluminum canned ham. ( Star ....something )

Barth made a handsome squared example.

The point is smaller is lighter and the European design might be a way to go in the US and Canada so you can tow with a smaller vehicle—and development costs are very small because you already make them.

I've corresponded at some length with a lady from Austin looking to retire and use a trailer for several years. Size, ease-of-use, and re-sale value would be of high interest to her. Restoring an old trailer isn't an option (past a certain point). Gene's point about the European models would be right up her alley. There are any number of fit & adventurous older people who will travel lightly AND have an income reasonable to the purchase of an Airstream. But without the trailing ease (and safety IMO) the purchaser looks askance . . where is the trailer that fits?

Avions were once beautiful trailers. I may wind up with an older one as my next home-on-the-road, and happily. But what was done to them was greatly unfortunate: the name applied to generic junk by the 1990's. When I search for an example it is for one with their superior in-house design independent suspension, etc. I cut off search parameters at about 1992, as it all disappeared.

Hampstead38's point is well-advised. I looked for an answer to my earlier questions, and skimmed over what "response" was made so as to not be irritated. I'll further his point by saying that preliminary answers are ordinary & reasonable. We all know that "concept" is only that.

Good luck. Post more pictures, we like good looking trailers around here!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
What Gene is talking about is co-branding, e.g., Harley Davidson model trucks. Some companies have abused co-branding badly. Others--like Airstream aka Thor--have not capitalized on this concept. Gene is also right in focusing on quality. Slapping a logo on something isn't going to sell it... making it better will. The key to co-branding is vendor relationships that work for everyone. The Pendleton fabric example is great. You can improve the quality of an Airstream, get a superior product at a better price and create a marketing opportunity for both players. I like the idea of small run limited edition Airstreams built on the narrow, lighter Euro model. How about a fly fisherman's Airstream partnered with Orvis? There are many natural relationships between high end, high quality outdoor-focused firms.

Honestly, the Scout idea feels like it came out of a marketing committee.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote