Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Two Separate Issues

Seems to me that the Scout presents two discrete sets of issues: weight / size and design / style. (Put aside stuff like past and current quality of build and other things that have been flogged a lot here ... this is just about the Scout.)

Weight / size: It's a certainty that the folks (and I'm one of them) who tow with a 3/4 ton truck are going to be a ever-shrinking minority in the future. Fuel costs and availability, etc. are going to drive tow machines smaller and more efficient. It's already happening: look at Sprinters. I spend a lot of time in Europe, where my diesel Passat is considered a larger car ... that's where the future is. So towing a 10,000 lb + trailer with three slideouts and a huge plasma tv is eventually going to become a thing of the past. Look at our Canadian friends, - who get a lot of flack on the Forums - in some ways they are way ahead of us. They tend to tow with much smaller vehicles than we U.S. profligate fuel guzzlers do. What this means to me is that RVs MUST get smaller, lighter, and more efficient - at least for the future mainstream buyers. Thor undoubtedly sees this also. 34 Footers probably are selling not so well right now, and at some future point will be dinosaurs. Unfortunate, but it's gotta' go there. Looks to me as if you can tow this Scout with most anything with an engine (okay, maybe not with my wife's Smart Car or a Trabant). I'm assuming that it's got good brakes, axles, balance, etc. Also, family sizes are changing, albeit slowly. You don't see too many Ozzie and Harriet families out there camping any more with five kids. There are a lot of younger, smaller families and couples. They want to travel light, travel efficiently, and not spend all the family capital in uncertain times to do it. This machine would do that just fine for a couple. So to me, the Scout, in the 2,000 lb range is well positioned to meet the market, once the market gets there. WHEN the market gets there is another question - if fuel prices go up and stay up, then soon. If fuel prices stay low, it might be a while.

Design / style The interior has all the earmarks of recent Airstream styling and design. It's not what the traditionalists want to see and it's not my cup of tea especially, but it's also not CCD. I personally think it's pretty spiffy, and certainly not very retro. It's got a lot in not much volume - and that has to help with sales. The exterior has that retro look, but with some obvious "updates." Seems to me that there is some disconnect between the interior and exterior on a retro/modern axis. "But is it an Airstream?" - are we shiny twinkie owners afraid of losing our precious identity to a Scout? I don't think that will happen. So long as folks keep restoring older Airstreams, the traditional shape(s) will be an icon that lives on and on. If I were the marketing group, I'd think hard about diluting my brand with something that looks that different, and I might choose a different name, but it's not my company. If it were, I'd have stuck with a smaller product line and focused ALL my extra energies on build quality. I'm assuming that the Scout has stress skin panels or other lightweight laminates, in order to reduce labor on riveting while upping rigidity, etc. IF it holds up over long distances and rough roads, and IF the build quality is there, it could help re-establish the premium branding position that Airstream has traditionally had.

I do think it's a great idea to have an "open house" at Jackson Center to let Forum members give it a very close look and to give Thor feedback. Maybe they plan to do this at Madison? There is a lot unknown about this prototype machine, but one "known" is that this Forum is filled with folks who tout the brand, and some who know everything there is to know about Airstream trailers past and present. Can that be leveraged for future designs and sales? I'd sure give it a try - Thor's got nothing to lose but a little time.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #122
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Weight vs shape.
One reason I went with an airstream originally was the aerodynamic shape. I noticed a big difference from the git-go between my SOB and my Safari with similarly weighted trailers, pulling with an underpowered vehicle.

You mention high Tech constuction materials.
What is the construction type? Are the interior ribs metal? Or are they wood 2x2 studs that dry rot? That is the other main reason that I switched to Airstream. My SOB had no more good wood to attach the siding to.

Would a Scout sell? I don't know - it might. The ideas are not all bad.
Would I be interested in one? Nope.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Has anybody looked at the Forest River R Pod (R-Pod Ultra Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River)

Aluminum framed, just over 2000# and under $1500. (http://www.rv-max.com/new_vehicle_in...&submit=Search)
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #124
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle View Post
Has anybody looked at the Forest River R Pod (R-Pod Ultra Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River)

Aluminum framed, just over 2000# and under $1500. (http://www.rv-max.com/new_vehicle_in...&submit=Search)
Was that supposed to read under $15,ooo?
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #125
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Quote:

Love the r-dome Awning with Screen Room!!!!
DIMMER
Old 06-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #126
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Was that supposed to read under $15,000?
Of course.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #127
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Why couldn't Airstream just utilize the same interior technologies in the Safari Sport? There is a short, lightweight model, wouldn't it work to make the interior similar?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
fedex'd me the book friday... weeeeeeee!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Quote:

There is a dealership in my city that sells both the R-Pod and the T@B, so you can look at them side-by-side. There is no comparison. The R-Pod is very cheaply made -- rattles everywhere, but it is much bigger, and has the coveted toilet (I don't really get why everyone wants a toilet inside a small space...this isn't a boondocking trailer and campgrounds have washrooms...hmmm...). The T@B is 10x the trailer. I really still want one to add to the collection of cute trailers, but Paul doesn't see it that way!

However, we both love the Scout (minus the bathroom). We think that the market isn't the Airstream crowd. We started a club/forum for Bolers (hence our name: Bolerama) and other egg-shaped fiberglass trailer owners. Our members are couples (20-somethings to retirees), singles, young families, and classic-car buffs, who all do weekend camping. We tow with practically any vehicle and have a blast at our meets (read: no structure/rules). Our trailers usually do not have bathrooms, so we have a larger sofa (gaucho) in front that converts to bunk beds. That is great for families. Couples and singles sometimes remove the bunk and fabricate a dinette. I think that the sofa in the Scout is too small to be usable, other than to be somewhere you can sit to put on your shoes. I'd like to see the Scout without the bathroom. Instead, put a front permanent dinette (with optional bunkbed). The lack of the permanent dinette is what prevented us from buying a T@B.

As for the interior, cute cute cute! I love the styling, colours, quilted diner-style aluminum, tambour door, plexi doors.....all great! If it goes into production, I hope the retro cushions (round with covered buttons) come too!

I really believe there is a market for this trailer, unlike the Basecamp. Our car came screeching to a halt when we saw our first Basecamp. However, we were disappointed in the ultra-utilitarian interior. If AS had developed 2 models, one for the hard-core toy hauler types, but another for people who want cabinets, a comfy bed, a furnace, and tie-downs for bicycles, we would have seen a lot more on the road. I still think AS should consider keeping the Basecamp shell, but overhauling the interior. Some of the Scout's interior appointments would make the Basecamp more sellable.

Paul did the survey and got a message this week that we get the book! Yippee!

Trailer-obsessed Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
What is the T@B? I guess these letters are short for something,. I don't have a clue.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstream Scout Concept Vehicle

Greetings Bluto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
What is the T@B? I guess these letters are short for something,. I don't have a clue.
The T@B (Taking America Back) -- is a compact travel trailer made by another division of Thor.

Thery have a number of eye-catching exterior color combinations, and are very light weight.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Bluto! The T@B (Taking America Back) -- is a compact travel trailer made by another division of Thor. Kevin
So is Thor again trying to take models from their other divisions and pass them of as Airstream's as they did with Moterhomes and didn't they also introduce the class C Airstream and the SquareStream a few years back. A an Airstream is aluminum and has its own classic style. Wy take a canned ham look and call it an Airstream? Marketing that why.

My thoughts

Don
1976 Classic Airstream.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #133
Rivet Master

Andy, I am sorry that I was misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Dave, please don't forget we are trying to foster a friendly community here. I don't think your posts gives Airstream a realistic impression of who are members really are. Most are very respectful and welcoming. Your post is a good example of why I get the cold shoulder when going to Jackson Center when trying to get them to work with us more often. Thanks for helping me (and our community out) with your considerate comments.

To set the record straight:

Airstream approached me about posting to solicit information on the forums and I pulled up the old Airstream Marketing account that they setup a few years ago for them to use. This account is not intended as one person (guy or gal) and he/she is not trying to hide his/her name. The account simply represents an account to post under when they want to post some info here that's related to marketing or research. There is no conspiracy theory going on. Maybe you can figure out why the age is 72?

I'd like to request that you all please keep threads on topic. Please don't forget we have a community rule stating "Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track." If you want to start another thread on quality control, co-branding or other innovation ideas feel free but this thread is about the Scout, please keep it on topic or we'll close this thread so we can move on.
I honestly meant that I was envious of the marketing guy for having the opportunity to work for airstream. In earlier posts, he was having fun, and playing coy about his name. He actually gave a us a riddle. So to quote my post in red, and scold me, was unfair.
As for you blaming me for you getting the cold shoulder...Your post
gives me a more likely reason why that could happen.
If you care to erase this post, please erase yours as well
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #134
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
No

I have seen a Bambi or Safari, put on the back of a cutaway Mercedes/Sprinter Chasis
THIS is the way to go with a new vehicle.
more elbow room, than the current "B Van" and the Airstream look.
NO sorry no more white boxes here.
semi rounded sliver might be sorta ok.........
I am still perplexed why Airtream did not do a "classic C class"
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Airstream Marketing

I want to say Thank You to the folks from Marketing. I Got my Wanderlust Airstream at 75 Coffeetable book today ...... AND I LOVE IT!!!!!! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #136
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Got my book yesterday too, and hung out in the trailer while I was filling and purging the water tank, flipping through the pictures. Great book.

Even better, though, is the DVD of classic Airstream movies that came with it. "Your dreams are our business" was informative. I can't believe an adult would actually use the tub in an Overlander for bathing anything other than children or dogs, however. And the segment showing the beefy guy wearing a helmet, but no seatbelt, slaloming an Airstream was hilarious.

"From Capetown to Cairo" took me back to my National Geographic magazine teenage years. I haven't seen that many unfettered breasts since....since ever. The rest of the movie was fascinating, too.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #137
1 Rivet Member

Columbus , Indiana
This is the future.. However, many people will no longer meet the future properly. Too many are getting too big to enjoy the future of RV'ing. Smaller people definitely have an advantage. This is their chance to excel where their larger neighbors will be over-sized for the new RV.
wc3780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #138
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3780 View Post
This is the future.. However, many people will no longer meet the future properly. Too many are getting too big to enjoy the future of RV'ing. Smaller people definitely have an advantage. This is their chance to excel where their larger neighbors will be over-sized for the new RV.
Are you calling me fat?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #139
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Scout?

I've been looking at pictures of the Scout for awhile now, and I love it. I too question why it would be under the Airstream line. An Airstream is unique and of it's own.

I can see however the thinking from Thor that it's vintage style, so market it to the folks that like vintage trailers, those Airstreamers. In addition, if I were Airstream and had the choice of selling this awesome little camper or letting another Thor division sell it, I'd want to be the one making the money on it. If I were in the market right now to buy a new small trailer, that Scout is probably what I'd choose. I've already got a silver twinkie, a new one just offers me a heavier interior.

The basecamp was a great idea. It's just priced out of range of the younger folks who would really use it. It's got the basics, a place for a chemical toilet, a fridge, air conditioning to get out of the heat. The rest of the time you're outside anyway. It's awesome. Unfortunatley it appears to be very expensive to manufacture.

On the other hand, even with a design study I wonder what the $#@! designers are thinking. The airstream-mini surf? Ok, I get it. The whole side opens up. Nifty idea. But what bonehead paints the top of a trailer black and expects to actually use it?

Now lets expand on that a bit. What if Airstream sold a small plain jane shell like this with an opening rear hatch for loading ATV's, etc. and a side man door, and marketed it as a cargo trailer. Keep the price a few thousand over you'r standard Wells Cargo, or other competing cargo trailer? They would sell the Bejeezes out of them.

You could buy one, kit it out as you want, and Airstream wouldn't have to feel liable for anything stupid you did because hey, they sold you an iconic looking cargo trailer. You're the dummy that decided to put an air conditioner on the top and wired it up as a show goat hauler with sleeping quarters.

I'm drooling all over the Scout, but I don't 'need' one. I can however find 1000 uses for a cargo trailer that looks like a vintage airstream, and I'd buy one yesterday if they could keep the price competetive. Come to think of it... I might start looking for a cheap 70's 'Stream, gut it, shorten it, put it on a stronger frame and build a hatch on the back.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
We received our Wanderlust book yesterday. Thanks Airstream Marketing. The book is fabulous!

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote