Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2015, 04:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Selling

I sold a 2010 moho for about 62% of what I paid for it, after about four years. It was pristine, large amount of custom work.

I suspect in your case the asking price was only about $12,000 below what a 2015 could be purchased for, so some will opt for new. I have traded two AS in the past, after only one year initially, two years on the second one, took a huge hit...about 40% off MSRP.

However, when we sell something like this it often pays to hang on until we find the one person who wants what we have.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Check your spam in your email too. When I was selling my B van some email inquiries sent directly from the ad went in there.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #23
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Thanks, PCSkier, for your comments. I agree that this may not be the optimum time of year to sell, which may account for the deal you got. Curiously, though, serious interest in our A/S has increased significantly in the past coupe, of weeks. I'm still comfortable that she's priced right, but, as you suggest, time will tell.
roperlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #24
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Msmoto: Your right about the difference in price between new and used A/S's, but that's the point; they really hold their value. Thanks for your comments.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #25
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
I did receive this inquiry to my ad, and I quote:

hello,
Am here to inform you that I saw your advertised list on internet and
am interested in purchasing your airstream. Please let me know if
it is still available for sale.I will also proceed with purchase if it
is still for sale and also in
good condition as I have requested earlier on also the price of the
airstream.

Thanks so much and I will be waiting for your response asap My regard

williamtorwestern@outlook.com

william torwestern""

Name: william torw
E-mail:
williamtorwestern@outlook.com

RVTrader warns:
"**IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION FOR IDENTIFYING EMAIL FRAUD*** Be aware of fraudulent emails! Misspellings, inconsistent grammar and urgent notifications or requests are common indicators that you may have received
a fraudulent email. "

I suspect there are lots of other folks who've received this same e-mail inquiry; I thought they would want to know. I don't intend to respond to it.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
My 2006 Airstream 23 footer Craigslist... story

I posted our 2006 23 foot Safari on the Denver Craigslist. It was in excellent condition and everything worked great. As well as upgrading hinges and hardware myself to our needs over 8 years of owning it. No trailer damage. Hitch went with it.

After checking prices of similar trailers in size as well as 23 footers, I priced it about $1000 less. I do not recall the asking sale price, maybe in the $27,500 to $28,500 range. I sold it for $27,450.

This was listed in the Spring. I had five or six interested. The majority needed to get a loan to purchase. One would pay cash.

One that needed to borrow money and I wrote up an agreement with an expiration date and time if he could not come through. He had been looking at 28 footers, there were two for sale at the time. This buyer missed his expiration of the deal, but insisted that give him another day. I called the owners listing the 28 footers and they had talked with this guy and they would not even sell to him had he changed his mind. He did the same thing to them about... give me another day, etc.

At the same time I had a gentleman in his 70's who lost his wife and sold their large RV. The 23 footer was perfect for him. He would pay my asking price on Craigslist, maybe $28,500 with hitch. He would write the check, wait as long as I needed to have it clear and he would come pick it up. As he stood there with his Son and Daughter in Law for the first guy to "default" on the deal... the first guy came through.

I really, really wanted to sell to the second buyer. Then two others who had looked... wanted it. Obviously they liked what they saw and I priced it to sell... not to dicker around.

All of our business was done at my local bank. He banked at the same bank as myself. The bank issued a Cashier's Check and we deposited it into our account. He hooked up the trailer in the parking lot with title signed over to him. I asked where his brake controller was... it was laying on the floor of the Tundra. He then unplugged it and left.

A 23 and 25 foot seem to be the length most were interested. Had there been fewer trailers for sale, I might have been able to ask and got more for ours.

The odd thing. A month or so later I saw a 23 foot Safari for sale. For Sale. My old Safari. His girlfriend and daughter did not like camping out. Not long after that I saw on a thread that someone on this Forum bought it and loves it.

I had no scammers. I had some people wanting to trade stuff. I had my first name and a telephone number. The scammers Email. Buyers called and came over to look.

IF you do not list price, you are wasting everyone's time. Add a little for dickering. Everyone wants to think they got you down on price. An Airstream IS a depreciating asset. Although a 2010... is really brand new. My buyer was in Denver. The older guy was from Montana and had family in the area.

If you are in love with your trailer and price it too high... emotions have no value in what someone will pay. Do you homework on current prices, compare condition and find a price you are comfortable.

A 19 footer priced like a 23 or 25 footer of 2006 to 2010 will not sell easily in my opinion. Sorry for the essay, but why give you a partial experience when you can have my experience selling locally. It sold FAST. The people who now own it have an excellent used 2006. When our 2014 needs a new home... I will do the same.

Added: Yes, from a post by the seller. Airstreams DO hold their value better, but better than Other Brands. Other brands may drop 75% in value in four years. An Airstream in four/five years... 35%+ or so? There are lots of used trailers for sale. An Airstream just LOSES value at a slower rate... barely used or well used. Airstream STICKER, what you paid (might have been too much to begin with) and what you can sell it for at any given time... have a lot to do with the economy, number for sale, gasoline prices and people not wanting a single axle trailer.

I have been selling stuff since I was old enough to add and subtract. There is a buyer for almost anything... it comes down to price.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #27
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Some great advice, Ray; thanks. I'm still not convinced, though, that there are valid comparisons between different length Airstreams because they are different in more significant ways than just length. Among other things, they have different floor plans, capacities and weights; and some can be towed with an SUV while others require a truck. Also, as you noted, unlike the 2006 you sold, a 2010 is practically brand new. One thing that does really matter when it comes to price is value; that is, does the price reflect value. And, as you suggest, not every buyer places the same value on the same item. I'm certain that my asking price reflects the value of our Airstream. As I mentioned in an earlier post, serious buyer interest has perked up quite a bit in the past week; I'm very optimistic that she's going to end up in the right hands soon. Best, Robert
Old 10-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
I don't consider a 6 year old model practically brand new.
Endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:42 AM   #29
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endodoc View Post
I don't consider a 6 year old model practically brand new.
I agree with you, Endodoc; the point I was trying to make is that our FC is in like-new condition.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #30
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Here's an update: We sold our 19" Flying Cloud last month for close to our asking price after a bit of back and forth, but we liked the buyers and thought what we finally agreed to was very fair. We took deliver of our 2016 23FB last week and immediately put her in storage for the rest of the winter; a shakedown weekend is scheduled for early May. Thank you, again, to all of you who took the time to share your advice, experience and encouragement. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats! That's great news!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Great news

Glad you sold your old one and now am into the new one.....and if you ever want to do some boondocking a couple hundred miles south of you, near El Moro, you are welcome to sit on my 280 acres....

El Moro Sunrise 2010 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

On Google Earth RV spot is 37.242853 N, 104.466851 W

Happy Holidays
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote