Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Leawood , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic_13 View Post
The HydroFlame heater looks like a really well thought out heater. Looking forward to your rebuild and hearing how it works. The trailer is looking sharp as well. Really nice polish on it. Great model and year.
Mostly yes, and I think I've figured out the one no. The bad part of the design is that there's not a moisture drain in the bottom of the pan, in the combustion chamber. The dual tube flue sits perfectly horizontal, and a driving rain, with the trailer stored outside will cause a puddle in the bottom which is what caused the rust in Al and my bottom pan on the heater.
The good part is the lack of need for 12V. It is said to work well in a small trailer like a Bambi or Caravel, but would probably need more air circulation in a larger trailer. The location down low lends itself for good heat convection, but my preference is for a toasted fanny and not heating the back of my knees.
All in all, assuming I get my unit up to specs, it should work just fine for me, since I doubt I'll be out camping below freezing with no protection for my holding tanks.

docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Had the same issue towing in a deluge. On my Dickenson p12000, I installed a weather shroud over the deck cap. Secures to the cap with a wing nut. Completely covers the chimney.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/weather-guard/

Atomic_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by docflyboy View Post
As you know, the '68's are the bomb. All the good and the vintage outside look. Wish my Safari was a '68 also. (late '67 with delivery in '68 but the forward end cap is definately '67, but half the windows have stainless trim). But, don't tell @Cerberus. That's another secret story for later.
WHAT? WHAT?? THERE'S ANOTHER SECRET STORY? Give, docflyboy!

Vivian
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Leawood , Kansas
Well Vivian, I though you might not ever read between the lines and ask about the trailer in the gravel lot that I "passed" on. After the GT got away, I saw this '67 in a gravel lot on the way to my farm. There was a low budget RV repair shop that was a front for the owner's drag racing passion. I initially looked at the trailer but thought it was too rough to be worth the effort that I was planning on putting into a restoration. Three of four end caps had basketball sized dents in them, and it looked like the trailer would need a lot of extra disassembly and English Wheel work. So I passed, at least at that time, and went on to buy Monkey Business.

I left my '05 Safari in the shop for a four item punch list to check this guy's shop out for honesty and quality of craftsmanship. When I went to pick up my '05, the owner's young helper, who had showed me the trailer initially, said the owner of the trailer, who had been doing a little work on it herself and having the shop do the bigger things, had had a reversal in her good fortune and was having trouble paying her shop charge. He said she was willing to Fire Sale it to move on with her life.

I asked the owner what it would take to buy it, and after a few days he got back to me. The price was definitely right for a "parts trailer".

Now here's the part you were waiting for...When I went to pick it up, the shop owner said, "I think you're going to be happy with your purchase". His review of the paperwork that the owner had led him to believe it was a one owner trailer, and the warranty card and original owner registration and all receipts were in the clasped folio of documents.

Well, that wasn't enough info for the docflyboy...with owner's name known, it wouldn't be hard to track this down. Turns out it was purchased by the Flight Surgeon for the Mercury Seven NASA program, as he was about to be discharged from the Navy. So the warranty card for the '67 says a August 23, 1968 delivery date. The doc recovered 5 of 6 of the Mercury Program, all but the final flight. He was a football All-American and played Triple-A for the Yankee's before Med School.

So with all this recent knowledge, I was pretty excited, so I texted my son and said "Can you keep a secret from Mom?" and about that time he responded to what I would quickly realize was a group text from Wife, Son, Daughter and myself. I spilled the beans, thinking I was just telling Jake.

I had asked the gravel lot RV repair guy if I could just leave it in his lot, till I got some things shuffled around. Before spilling the beans, I moved my things around in my 20 X 80' covered storage area and put the '67 Safari back behind my Sovereign. My wife doesn't usually go to the storage with me to get the '05, so I thought I'd pluck a few parts off the '67 for the Caravel and then maybe move it down the road, till the trailer's history was known. It's too good to steal parts from, everything is original, and a paintless dent guy got the dents almost invisible, so it will have to wait it's turn, but it's not going anywhere.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Leawood , Kansas
Electrical progress and questions

This weekend, I made more progress on the trailer. I realized that I wouldn't be able to keep the center piece that holds the inside skins and demises the mid-line, without it being severely in the way, plus needing to remove the doubler that was in place for the A/C installation. So now I've got a clean trailer, with the exception that the end-caps are in place.

For those who have wiring questions, photos of how AS wired the 115V as well as the 12V is interesting. I'm going to do a little photo edit to try to make it clear. Very cleverly, all splices are made up under a ceiling light, which has about a 2" opening under the light. The 12V wires are twisted together back about 6" which makes them hard to pull down, so if I didn't know how the factory did things, I wouldn't have tried.

My two reading lights and the circuit for the scare light all tie up just behind the end-cap under the forward ceiling light. Mind you, I'm still trying not to pull my forward and rear end-caps.

What I did think was curious was how the water pump was switched. It was switched through what is an ordinary AC style toggle switch in the galley. It was not in one of the electrical boxes like the AC was and was just made up behind the inside skin.

So I have some questions for the experienced restoration crowd.
1) are those high quality ?bakelite boxes available, or does anyone have a couple spares laying around?
2) do you think 12V switching should be done with something that doesn't look AC, so that it's more obvious what works with and without shore power.
3) if you support the residential switches, do people wire some circuits with 3-way switches to turn off and on lights to walk back to the bathroom, etc?
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We had to search for a couple of Bakelite receptacle cover plates a few years back and found them. I looked on EBay today and found a few. As far as wiring a three-way, if you want it go for it. We considered it but just more connections to vibrate loose. Good luck on the cover plates.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Docflyboy,

That was a very good story about finding the '67 and its heritage. Very cool indeed. I hope all is well in your family after the subterfuge was found out? It's so exciting to find a bargain on a vintage Airstream, much less one with such an interesting history. Good on ya!

Vivian

Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel, hydro flame, shell off