Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Replacing '68 Awning Fabric?

I have all the hardware for my awning windows on my 68 Caravel but the fabric is rotted.

I'm having trouble getting the cap off the end of the roller. I'm about 1/8" shy of getting it off the roller so I can slide the old fabric out and the new fabric in, but I didn't want to force it, thinking perhaps it wasn't designed to come off.

The springs on the inside seem to work fine after all these years. Imagine that, something that works!!

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Carol in Indy
fraubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you can, take a picture, and post it here. What we suggest would differ from awning manufacturer to awning manufacturer, and model of awning to model of awning.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Awning Roller Cap

Here's an image. You can see that the cap is almost off, but doesn't want to go any further. If I can get a small open space I can slide out the old fabric and insert the new. It sure looks to me like that's how it should work, but I've been fooled before.

Thanks!
Carol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AwningCapSM.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	62591  
Old 06-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Carol, is that the side where the tension spring is located? I have a feeling there's something retaining the spring tension connected to the rod sticking out.

Also, do you know if this is a Zip-Dee? I can't tell for sure from the picture...

If it is a Zip-Dee, call their number. They've got wonderful tech support. Tell them you've got a vintage Airstream. I think they'll connect you with a woman (I can't think of her name right now) but she lives and breathes Airstream. She'll help you out.

If it's not a Zip-Dee, strongly consider just junking it and going either with a Zip-Dee, or a traditional awning from Vintage Trailer Supply. Steve can help you out with that.

The advantage of a traditional awning is you actually get more space under it than a roll-up style. The disadvantage is you have to thread it manually and stake it out.

Either way, you'll end up with a great awning!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I know it's not a Zip-Dee, as they don't have slots for the fabric to slide into. The ones I've seen and used have all had the fabric attached via rivets. I think the awning is an old Carefree awning.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
OK, thanks, Terry. I've had one Airstream with a Carefree awning. It disintegrated and I could not find any support for getting replacement fabric for it. I still have the various metal parts in my barn....
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
As far as removing the cap, try removing the cap on the other end, it may come out where this one won't.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Thanks, it worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
As far as removing the cap, try removing the cap on the other end, it may come out where this one won't.
Terry,
Your advice was dead-on accurate. After wrestling with one roller endcap for a week, I tried the other one. It popped right off. I now have brand new fabric on my 68 Caravel kitchen awning and the next ones will be easier, as everything always is the secoond time. I have all the hardware for the window awnings, but none for the big awning.

I imagine the original hardware on these is difficult to come by, right?

Terry and Dallas, I appreciate the advice.

Carol