Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2003, 08:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Colorado Caravel Rally Sep. 2004

I'm just starting a new thread to pick up the discussion about a possible 2004 Caravel Rally at Richard's place in western CO. Here is Richard's last posting on the subject.

-----------
Rally 2004: CARAVELS IN COLORADO !

Wow...this is sounding better and better all the time! It appears as though a bunch of you Caravel-ers really would like to get together in western Colorado in September 2004. And, I agree, Bambis and other "bubbles" should be welcomed, as well. But shouldn't we limit it to "smaller than Twinkies"? That is, if your AS looks like a Silver Twinkie, then it may be just a l-i-t-t-l-e t-o-o l-o-n-g for us. Yes, it's true that "Size Matters"....but, for us, we specialize in SMALL (trailer-wise, of course). Actually, I'm up for whatever everyone else wants....

By this time of year (mid to late September) it's easy to get plenty of campsites, though I'll definitely reserve them in a block so we'd be together (from the air it will look like an invasion of toasters!). Let's just think of good ideas, for now, and then around the first of the new year we can get serious about all the particulars (private vs Forest Service campground(s), a list of scheduled activities for those interested, and so on).

After everyone gets their trailers set up I'd be happy to have a wine and cheese social at my vineyard location the first evening so we can all meet each other, and then we can head back to the campground for a potluck. My actual vineyard is only 2 acres-- and was just planted this year so the vines are small-- but there are 20 acres altogether so there's plenty of room to romp around. Then, it would be 5 minutes to the nearby private campground or 20 min. to the Forest Service campgrounds. I'd be happy to get lots of literature on fun things to do in this area (including maps of hiking trails) and send the info to everyone by snail mail. Mostly, we just need to decide-- early in 2004 if possible-- who is TRULY committed to this event.

-Richard

------------

So, any thoughts on this as we move into 2004, post 'em here!
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 09:57 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Count us in! I'll bring our big telescope to set up as well, so I can share the stars with y'all in the evening. Let's hope for clear skies.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 07:02 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Talking Rally 2004 in western Colorado

Hi again (Richard here)!

I've been gone for a couple of weeks.

I'm still quite interested in helping to organize a gathering of Caravels (and perhaps other small Airstreams) to meet in western Colorado in September of 2004. Those of you who are interested should send me a personal message (PM) with your e-mail address so I can contact you at a later date...say, sometime in March or April. If there are at least 8-10 "units" or so who want to attend a rally in this area, I will make the arrangements. The aspens trees were spectacular this year in late September...photographers from all over had their tripods set up on McClure Pass, for example (not far from Aspen).

If there's a better way to let me know if you're interested (very, somewhat or slightly) than to send me a PM, please speak up.

Later,

Richard
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:30 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
I just found out the OR Unit of the WBCCI is planning a vintage rally Sept 9-12, 2004 in Grants Pass, OR. I hope we will be able to time things so that we can attend both that rally and the CO Caravel rally if we manage to pull that off!

Old 03-16-2004, 03:40 PM   #5

Thumbs up

new to the forums and have had my '66 Caravel for 12 years. Taking it to Albq for the BalloonFest in October... might be able to haul it to Colorado in September though... Pleae keep this thread going and best of luck. Jim DeWitt.
beemerpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:45 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

would love to attend but,

Colorado and September are a good distance away so can't make any promises right now. But I will keep an eye on this thread. You never know.

whistler
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 07:05 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Caravel Rally in Colorado

Greetings, All!

Richard, here, and I just saw "beemerpilot's" message. I'm glad that there is still interest in a rally of Caravels (and similar units) for September. Those of you who can work it into other vacations/trips...so much the better. We can plan it for late in the month, when the Aspen trees are in color and the new wine harvests have been bottled! I still plan to have a wine and cheese social in my newly-planted vineyard (very small vines) the first evening, and I will obtain and post lots more info as to things to do and places to go in the area once we get a little closer to the time. In fact, I can mail pamphlets/brochures to those serious about attending. No matter what your interests, you won't be bored. This was an exceptionally snowy winter, so the reservoirs should all be filled to near capacity. Lots of opportunities for fishing in lakes and streams, boating, etc. The hiking at that time of year is perfect, as the mosquitoes are gone and the temperatures have cooled down. There are several small communities in the area that are each quite different from one another...Cedaredge is an artsy community that is filled with orchards and, now, several vineyards. Paonia is in the vicinity of the West Elks mountain range, and home to the nationally famous little newspaper called the "High Country News"...there is also a lot of fruit grown in that region-- principally cherries. In nearby Palisade and Grand Junction there are many vineyards and wineries with tasting rooms (at least 30) and numerous peach orchards. To the South one can visit Ouray (Little Switzerland) with its wonderful hot springs, and Telluride, a ski town with great hiking. Hiking opportunities are everywhere. Some of the best gold medal trout fishing is in the area, as well as in the "Roaring Fork" near Aspen (within 2 hrs. from here). Keep this thread going, and we'll firm things up as the time gets closer.

In the meantime, how does late September sound?

-Richard
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:47 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
September works for me. The local unit cancelled the vintage rally in September so we are unencumbered and free to roam Sounds like a beautiful area - once we get there we might not want to come home!

Old 04-29-2004, 11:52 AM   #9
Bob

1966 17' Caravel
St. Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Bob Lindstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Lindstrom
Rally

A rally sounds great. I wish I could come but it is too far into the school year ( I'm a teacher). Next time I will be happy to join youall.
I am the third owner of a '66 Caravel and am cleaning, fixing and replacing, so I appreciate all the input you folks give to each other.
Thanks!
( My first time on the forum.)
Bob Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
If it's a Caravel...it's vintage!

Why not just join us at the Rocky Mountain VAC Rally???

July 30 - August 4th, 2004

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:06 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum. It's always nice to see another Caravel come around!

Shari, I thought the Rocky Mtn Rally was already full up? Our summer plans have changed and there's a chance I might be able to work it in after all. It does sound like fun.

Old 04-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Check your PMs

Stephanie,
I just sent you a PM. There are a few slot still avail.

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel