Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bastrop , Texas
1967 Caravel for sale

HI, I'm new to the forum and to AS in general. I am looking at a 1967 Caravel 17' for sale and the going price is $19,200. My question is, if you find a 1967 Caravel in excellent condition, would the price mentioned still be way above market value? Your help would greatly be appreciated!
cloptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
It has got to be a perfect body, air conditioner (new), new axle, polished, original windows with screens, a new black tank (they all bust at the flange), new upholstery and curtains (not cheap ones), no rot at door or under the h2o tank, a new converter and water pump, a new AGM battery and maybe a new floor covering.
A 67 is a nice year for the Caravel too.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
And $19,200 is the pre-haggling price, too. If you can't talk them down to $17,500, you just don't want it as much as they do. Some think it's rude to haggle, but that's the first thing you'd do if you were buying a car or truck.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
For that price, it had better be 100% perfect and polished to boot!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Smile 67 Caravel Price

I bought my 67 Caravel for $2500 and thought that was a steal. I've been working on it for a year off and on now and I estimate I'll have close to $10,000 in it when finished. I have no estimate of hours I've put into it, but If I found on restored and done really right--I mean everything done--then $15,000 to $20,000 wouldn't be unreasonable. Turn key--get in the car a go! That's worth something. But, if you like the restoring process and want some custom features that you pick yourself. . .then you have to do it yourself. I love my quilted stainless steel walls around the galley area!
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Talking Caravel to do wish list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
And $19,200 is the pre-haggling price, too. If you can't talk them down to $17,500, you just don't want it as much as they do. Some think it's rude to haggle, but that's the first thing you'd do if you were buying a car or truck.
Oh Dave,

We have a Caravel 17' bought from Temple area last October. We still have not done a durn thing. I'm getting very antsy and would like to go to a rally camp out in February.
Our priorities are; Axle-which the seller told us to go to a trailer place, not RV. The trailer place here in Bryan says they do not work on RV's. Hubbie states we can do it ourselves. My understanding is that we need a certain type and then that needs welding.
We need to fix wood under bathroom cabinet, then patch up belly pan.
Needs restoration of bathroom,
Needs new kitchen appliances-Magic Chef does not work
Needs prob. new cabinets, but not immediately
Needs New a/c -would like a low profile central unit that heats and a/c
Needs braker lights attached
Windows have some strange caulking around edge, one is plexiglass.
Needs all new upholestry.

If you have any experience in these areas-I say we need help.
Hubbie wants me and him to do it as a project-yah right. It'll never happen! (?)
Is there a trailer fairy god mother??
Jerri in CS
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We had our axle done at an RV place, and there was welding required. Basically they had to make a little custom mounting piece to attach it to the frame. There was also welding for the shock mounts. I think that is worth having someone do it, unless your hubby is handy with a welder.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
67 Caravel axle

I ordered a new Dexter axle and had it delivered to a local Dexter dealer. The cost was about $350 for the axle. shipping was extra, of course. I had the local trailer place install it and at the same time I got new shocks, new wheels and tires. The bill ended up being about $1500 total.

I got the specs on the axle from another Caravel owner who had done the replacement.

On the issue of restoration. Someone really handy will have to be restoring your Caravel. If you are really handy, great. There are a lot of little problems to solve in the restoration process and some big one's that require some muscle.

Right now I'm in the middle of trying to remove the bath faucet. I have one of the nuts off (after a lot of work and a spasm in my back) and the other one is frozen solid even with heat and penetrating oil----. It is a long hard project to make it respectable.
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1967, 1967 caravel, caravel