Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , NY
Are those Button latches? They look great
Flostream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:33 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20 View Post
Latches used.
These look super sexy. What type of wood is that? Did you redo everything
Old 09-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
Hollie- you've got so much progress, it's hard to keep up. I really like the tray under the water heater, and I think the plastic catches are original and the roller catch is a "field repair". Nice work. I like Argonaut's latches. I think they are a marine hardware/high end RV solution that looks great, but I don't think the top hinged upper lockers fling outward as an inherent tendency. I was originally going to replace my vinyl covered locker doors with matched grain Honduras Mahogany, but I think on the Caravel, with their premium desirability, I'm going to keep it original. Jerry
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , NY
Flo is Oh so "Pexy"

Thanks, Jerry. It has been a full-court press to try to get me back on the road before the snow flies...it has almost been a full year since I camped, and I just missed the wine tasting rally...so I need to get a move on.

Flo is now oh so "Pexy"...come on, I mean she has her Pex on. The goal for this part of the restoration was to keep all the Pex lines and related paraphernalia as tight as possible, so as not to interfere with the precious little storage in a Caravel; and to run the lines up through a heated area and away from the walls and floors, in hopes of maximizing winter camping options.

Starting from the front side - I replaced the old fresh water tank with a larger model that fits between the back of the front gaucho and the front wall, and between the pull-out table and the inlet water fill line. We have put wooden cleats on the floor to help stabilize the tank placement (same as we did for the black tank). In addition to the fill pipe, the fresh water tank has been fitted with a vent and a drain. However, because I did not want blue Pex coming out of the bottom of the trailer, a copper drain pipe was fitted onto the Pex hardware and then a hole drilled through the floor. I am using the same set up for the drain for the water heater. (see last photo)

Because the old fresh water tank (the original) had sprung a leak, the plywood supports to the front gaucho took a hit. Those were replaced with new hardwood and then I sanded the pieces and used a stain by Zar, in the "Champagne" color (natch!) to seal the wood of the front gaucho, as well as the SS gaucho and the insides of the closets...they look almost new!

In the front SS corner is what I am dubbing, the mechanical "room" - it houses the water pump, water filter, the wires for the trailer lights and brakes, as well as a self-contained, battery-operated brake monitor that I can check before heading out - green means go! A wooden riser will be put over the mechanical room to allow for additional, albeit shallow storage.

The area next to the mechanical room (n/k/a "Bonus area") is reserved for storage for a portable printer, instant pot and champagne bucket, etc. - you know, all the camping "essentials." We used the SS gaucho frame as the structure for supporting the Pex lines in order to keep them off the floor as they run to the back. This also keeps them out of the storage bins below the gaucho.

Using bend supports, we turned the Pex line to the toilet and then down the trough that runs between the shower surround front and the shower pan. For this part of the Pex line, Carl had a great idea, which was to take a slightly larger piece of white Pex and run it like a sleeve over the actual blue Pex line so that the white line, not the cold water line, would take the abrasion of the fiberglass as the trailer heads down the highway...you can see this in the photos on both sides of the shower surround trough.

Then into the sink, staying as far out of the under sink storage area as possible. To stabilize everything, Carl mounted the faucet lines for the shower wand and the sink faucet to a piece of plywood affixed to the underside of the sink. This way, I can quickly access those valves if I need to shut off the water.

From there, the water line continues behind the water heater and onto the underside of sink. Because running the line against the CS wall was the only option for securing the Pex in this area, we are insulating this section of the line.

See, I told you Flo has become very "Pexy"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Front gaucho with refurbished wood panels and new fresh water tank (2).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	378762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Front left corner mechanical area (2).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	378763  

Name:	Flo - Bonus storage area (2).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	378764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Close-up of City water inlet (2).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	378765  

Name:	Flo - City water inlet - affixed to bottom of gaucho (2).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	378766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Pex affixed to SS gaucho next to insulated wheel well cover and bend supports.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	378767  

Name:	Flo - Pex with bend supports into toilet and in trough in front of shower pan.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	378768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Pex coming out of shower trough in back CS corner under sink.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	378769  

Name:	Flo - Pex to sink valve station under bathroom sink (2).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	378770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Copper drain pipes.jpg
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	378771  

WBCCI #4597
VAC Region 2

------------------
Restoration of my 1966 Caravel: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f13...on-210688.html
Start at Post #7.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Nice work on the plumbing routing, Hollie. The new city water entry is a good idea as it takes a lot of the mess out of that area. I also put a Furion electrical entry in and carry the cord in the vehicle. Intellipower distribution center for 120V and 12V was fitted in that area along with the battery.

Yes, they are button latches, and quite convenient. Unobtrusive when latched, form a pull when unlatched.

To Al: The wood is maple. Doors are 1/2" plywood, rest of cabinetry face frame is 4/4 maple. None of the wood in my Caravel was salvageable so it all got rebuilt. I would do a lighter stain if I were to do it over again.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20 View Post
Nice work on the plumbing routing, Hollie. The new city water entry is a good idea as it takes a lot of the mess out of that area.
Thanks, Argonaut! Your note about taking "a lot of the mess out of the area" took me right back to the day I discovered, just about a year ago, that beneath a board that looked like it was part of the floor structure had actually been placed there to cover up significant water damage in the battery and water inlet compartment. The attached photos showing this grim discovery stand in stark contrast to the photo #5 I attached at Post #64. Ewww!

That open hole may have been a convenient way to feed the electrical cord and city water hose through the bottom of the trailer, but it also made for a very convenient access point for curious critters...I would stuff it with a rag to try to keep them out! I think the solid flooring and external power and city water inlets are a much better solution!

But it was good to go back through all the reference photos I had taken just before dropping Flo off for a shell-off chassis resto...progress, at last!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04402.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	378855   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04404.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	378856  

WBCCI #4597
VAC Region 2

------------------
Restoration of my 1966 Caravel: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f13...on-210688.html
Start at Post #7.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
Hollie- you're team is doing some great craftsmanship. Are you placing a shore power plug in your outside skin, and if so, did you move it aft to be consistent with campgrounds or leave it close to your "garage" door?
Old 09-18-2020, 07:21 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , NY
Power Inlet in Back Left Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by docflyboy View Post
Hollie- you're team is doing some great craftsmanship. Are you placing a shore power plug in your outside skin, and if so, did you move it aft to be consistent with campgrounds or leave it close to your "garage" door?
Doc, thanks so much for the kind shout-out. Carl is a master at his craft and a great collaborator, so between the two of us, we have managed to press ahead fairly quickly...even though both of us have full-time jobs and families. Because I lack the hand-strength needed for the pex crimper, I likely would still be working on the pex install next spring without his help!

I have attached a photo, showing the location for the inlet power receptacle just above the left side of the garage. The second photo shows how the cord runs behind the new black tank. We carved out the tank at that spot to be sure the cord did not rub against the plywood tank cover. I am going with the Furrion stainless inlet power receptacle recommended by Argonaut and Carl. We are going to need to fashion an additional escutcheon plate to bring the plug away from the tank to keep it from banging against it. Always a new challenge...

How is your resto going? I haven't seen any posts recently. Would enjoy an update. Good luck with your Roastier Rally!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flo - Inlet power receptable opening.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	378906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Under shower pan (3).jpg
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	378907  

WBCCI #4597
VAC Region 2

------------------
Start at Post #7.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:52 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 26' Overlander
Detroit , Michigan
Great work Hollie! It’s clear you are putting a lot of meticulous effort into your renovation. I’m enjoying following along.
Atomic_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
Hollie- my hold up was the Marmoleum mix up. My commercial floorworks vendor forgot to put the order in, after my installer measured. I've been in a holding pattern till I get the floor down, so I've been upgrading my wood shop, getting ready. I bought a Shaper Origin, which is really trick. It's a hand held CNC Router that I'm using to reproduce all my curved items, like bulkheads and the unique '68 front locker cover. But to get the final dimensions, I have to have the floor down. I'll put some pics of the shop on my thread when I start banging out the mahogany case-goods. I'll catch up to your light-speed when I get to that phase. Jerry
Old 09-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , NY
The Work No One Ever Sees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic_13 View Post
Great work Hollie! It’s clear you are putting a lot of meticulous effort into your renovation. I’m enjoying following along.
Thanks, Atomic, for your kind words. To be fair, though, the restoration bar has been set very high by those vintage Caravel owners who have documented their journey for the benefit of those of us who are coming after them - Argonaut20, Bubba, DavidF, Mimi, Pcasa, and Docflyboy, to name a few. I have learned so much from them and the many other Caravel-ers who have been willing to share -
"Iron sharpens iron;
So one person sharpens another."
~ Proverbs 27:17 ~

So, I am paying it forward, as a way of saying thank you, and to memorialize the tedious work that no one will ever see once the cabinetry goes back in and Flo is finished.

Like this nasty vent hood...complete with wasp nest and years of whatever. I actually didn't even want to touch it, and came close to just tossing the whole thing and buying new. But when Carl tested the fan and it worked perfectly (once the blades were straightened from having hit the wasp nest!), I decided to buck up and go for it because I loved the vintage pull chain that opens the fan vent. Even the grungy screen came clean, boasting a great patina. All this work will be hidden up in the cabinet where no one will see; but I will know...and now, so will the community of skilled Caravel restorers.

I am reminded of the lesson a theatrical director taught me when I was doing summer stock as a young student. After a particularly difficult sequence, he said, "You are good enough to fool 95% of the audience, 95% of the time...but I want you to play to the 5% who know the difference." And that's how I have rolled ever since. Onward!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flo - Vent hood fan and screen - before (2).jpg
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	379245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Vent hood fan - before.jpg
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	379246  

Name:	Flo - Vent hood fan - after.jpg
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	379247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Vent hood screen - after (2).jpg
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	379248  

WBCCI #4597
VAC Region 2

------------------
Start at Post #7.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Glad you saved the fan. Mine was in similar condition and I reused it for my custom exhaust fan build. I figured the motors must be pretty robust if it was still working from 1967. Yours looks great now!
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , NY
David, your Winnick-style fan design just got even better! I considered using the fan blueprints you uploaded to the Forum into my design but couldn't bear to part with the valuable storage space...at least for now. Again, great job on your renno!
WBCCI #4597
VAC Region 2

------------------
Start at Post #7.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:11 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , NY
Help with oven install

The only thing that stands between Flo and the LP reinstall is the oven...it was working great before the shell-off and so I want to continue to use it. But the method for installing it is escaping me. I have read Touring Dan's entry about how to clean out the gas lines, etc...with the photos, it was very helpful. I am hoping someone has photographs about how the oven gets installed into kitchen cabinet - is it hung from the countertop? affixed to the wall somehow?

Any input would be very much appreciated!
WBCCI #4597
VAC Region 2

------------------
Start at Post #7.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:03 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
If I recall correctly, it is hung from the countertop.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
David F is right. Stove/ovens hang from the countertop. Look for the mounting screw holes on the flange around the top of the stove. You may also have some other screws that the manufacturer may have included.

Here is a photo of a new stove/oven we "hung" last spring in our Sovereign project. We cut the opening in the countertop to the correct size per the manufacturer, then slid the thing into the opening. Finally we screwed it down. The propane line connected in the back of our stove.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2005 Galley Countertop Supports-800x600.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	379723   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Galley Countertop Tambour-800x600.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	379724  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:09 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , NY
Unhappy Kitchen Cabinet Re-Build

David J, thank you for these photos. Very helpful.

When I first received David F's email, it was hard to visualize how the old countertop could support the weight of the vintage oven.

Name:	Flo - Underside of old kitchen countertop (2).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	379745 Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Kitchen cabinet - before (2).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	379740

But then, this past weekend, we completely dismantled and rebuilt the kitchen cook area, removing the severely water-damaged countertop and wood cabinet "walls."

Name:	Flo - Kitchen cabinet - frame only (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	379741 Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Kitchen cabinet in the making (2).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	379742

Using the old warped and water-damaged countertop as a template, Carl has created a new countertop base to which we will affix Formica that is in keeping with the original countertop. With these repairs complete, I can now see how the countertop could be strong enough to support the vintage oven - thanks for the input, David J and DavidF!

Name:	Flo - kitchen cabinet temporary install (2).jpg
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	379743 Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Kitchen cabinet temporary install with gray tank vent (3).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	379744

Unfortunately, the vent for the gray tanks was placed in the only space available for a trash can...so, the cabinet is coming out, and we are going to have to remove the wheel well cover and construct a new one out of 3/8" plywood to try to salvage a big enough spot for rubbish. Two steps forward, one back...
WBCCI #4597
VAC Region 2

------------------
Start at Post #7.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Your vent interference is a classic example of "rework" as we home builders don't have detailed plans. I've had many "son of a gun" moments working on these old Airstreams. Part of the fun I guess.

Maybe you can devise a work around for your waste paper basket. Your description sounds like a lot of work for a trash can. I'd just hang a plastic sack on a drawer knob and call it good.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flostream66 View Post
Thanks, Atomic, for your kind words. To be fair, though, the restoration bar has been set very high by those vintage Caravel owners who have documented their journey for the benefit of those of us who are coming after them - Argonaut20, Bubba, DavidF, Mimi, Pcasa, and Docflyboy, to name a few. I have learned so much from them and the many other Caravel-ers who have been willing to share -
"Iron sharpens iron;
So one person sharpens another."
~ Proverbs 27:17 ~

So, I am paying it forward, as a way of saying thank you, and to memorialize the tedious work that no one will ever see once the cabinetry goes back in and Flo is finished.

Like this nasty vent hood...complete with wasp nest and years of whatever. I actually didn't even want to touch it, and came close to just tossing the whole thing and buying new. But when Carl tested the fan and it worked perfectly (once the blades were straightened from having hit the wasp nest!), I decided to buck up and go for it because I loved the vintage pull chain that opens the fan vent. Even the grungy screen came clean, boasting a great patina. All this work will be hidden up in the cabinet where no one will see; but I will know...and now, so will the community of skilled Caravel restorers.

I am reminded of the lesson a theatrical director taught me when I was doing summer stock as a young student. After a particularly difficult sequence, he said, "You are good enough to fool 95% of the audience, 95% of the time...but I want you to play to the 5% who know the difference." And that's how I have rolled ever since. Onward!
This fan looks great--doesn't it feel good to "save" something old but good?
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
Hollie-If you put the wheel well cover up for grabs, mine came back from Texas missing my curb-side plastic cover.
I was working on my project yesterday, and had a question for you or your team: My lowest inside skins need quite a bit of trim and a few are short. Did others doing a shell off find that this was the case, or am I missing something. The shop in Texas said I had about a 1 1/2" twist in my frame which made marrying up the shell to the new frame one of the hardest that they've done. Did your shop rebuild and repair your frame, or fab a new one, and did all your interior skins line up? Also, let us know where you found a nice selection of "vintage" Formica or other brand laminates. Nice work. Jerry

Tags
1966, caravel