Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Link Archive
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Meet Buttercup

Hello Everybody,

New to the forum and to Airstream as well. We bought a 1977 vintage 27' Overlander (which we have yet to bring home).
We put together a web site to document our experiences.
This will be not be a restoration project but rather a redecoration. Currently the pictures we have on the site are the "As-Is" pictures.

tk

http://overlander.archnevada.com/

Old 03-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Welcome

Hello. Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new trailer. I am looking at a 72ish 31 foot International....not sure of the year. It's sitting here, about a mile from my house. Can probably get it for a good price.

Anyone interested? It's been sitting for about 10 years.

Rob

Probably $2500.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 03-13-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Glad to be here. There is so much info here. Great forum!!
Old 03-13-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Hi! Welcome!

"We have no plans" it says on the website.
Sure. I believe.

Glad you're around. I'll be interested in the interior photos as well.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Welcome aboard, can't wait to watch your progress! NIce web page!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 03-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Welcome Buttercup,
Let me know if you want anymore of that neat Gold Upholstery ...I got plenty out of my unit. The pictures are great, and we will be watching for updates.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
Old 03-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Buttercup,we will be checking your site for updates, and welcome to the forums, and the 70's era Airstreams. Jeff
Old 03-13-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Welcome Buttercup. Its a fun thing to do and when it all comes together you know that it was done by your hands. When things break further down the road you will know how to get in there and fix it. Again welcome aboard.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Old 03-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome Buttercup

WOW, your unit looks in great shape considering it's age and years of neglect. Good luck with your remodel.

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of folks who can give you good advice for any problems you encounter, so stay in touch. I was so impressed or maybe intimidated that I bought new. I'm sure you got a GREAT bargain - finding one in that shape is remarkable.

Enjoy! Tin Lizzie
Old 03-13-2005, 10:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Thank you all for the warm welcome and already some laughs! I'll pass on any gold anything! Thanks for the most generous offer but I can't help question the motives. Besides, I am thinking in more of an olive green, dirty martini sort of color for any fabrics.
Kimber has wanted this since she first stayed in an Airstream in the mid seventies. Now she has one. Her design inspirations lie somewhere between the mid 70's and the Sex Pistols (a punk band from the 80's for those who don't know).We are just trying to figure out the easiest way to get it home in any way that we can. The bearings have to be repacked and rotors turned. Somehow or another we have to figure out how to get the brakes working as well. I have this nightmareish vision of going down the road with whiteish blue smoke pouring from the wheelwells. I just don't want my brand new tires to wear out too quickly so locked wheels is not an option.
tk
Old 03-13-2005, 10:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
$2000. And the sage brush was NOT there when it was parked there. In fact I understand that man had not walked the western continent when it was parked there.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Ah you're quite the tricky one. See that you updated the plan on the website... I like it! I'll be staying tuned.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:46 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Buttercup,
How about adding your website link to you signature line....I did bookmark it, but that would make it easier to find

Thanks
Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
Old 03-14-2005, 06:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Greetings,

What a nice unit! I don't think it's as awful as you say. It's been neglected, sure--but most of it seems in pretty good shape! I don't see any major issues in your pics, except perhaps that leak (and whether it has caused floor rot). Great deal!

The website is very, very pretty. A little feedback: the navigation is a bit hard to follow. I didn't realize that there were additional pages I could click to see the kitchen, bath and exterior until I visited it for the second time. Of course, I have no real constructive alternative--maybe you could use a map like on vintageairstream.com website. I would love to learn more about you, how you decided to get an airstream, your "adoption' story, and what you want to do with it...BTW, is that you in the exterior shot (or inside in the plaid jacket)?

So, has all this harvest gold given inspiration? How radical do you intend to go? That trailer looks good enough that you could go any way you want. The only limits are how much money and effort you can throw at it--and how soon you want to use it. That 70s look is a bit funny, but since getting our 61, I can attest that the old stuff kind of grows on you in an odd, funky way. How about this fabric (available, fwiw from contemporarycloth.com) for new slip covers (somehow, I don't think so !!! )?

Mary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mod_limefizz2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	10906  
Old 03-14-2005, 12:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Yes I have been trying to update the site a little. I have been working on the navigation a little because it is not quite as user friendly as I would like. Thanks all for the compliments on the layout, etc.

I bugged Kimber to give me a picture of her plans. She has been working on that plan for a few weeks. The design is quite inspired. As soon as it was in my hot little hands I put it on the web. I am working on a before/after comparison for that image.

I also added the web site to the signature - thanks for that tip!!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 03-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Kimber has always wanted an Airstream since she was first in one in the mid 70’s. Now as a graphic designer, she appreciates the design thoughtfulness that went into the creation of an Airstream.

One day at work I was mentioning that we wouldn’t mind getting an Airstream for ourselves and fixing it up. One of the guys I work with piped up that he had one and would sell it for $2000. Of course I was kind of blown away. I said “YES!” on the spot. But the guy selling it wanted me to see it first to be sure that I was not going to regret my decision.

We made arrangements to go out and take a look. Kimber saw it from 2 miles away and she hates it when I say that. But I am serious! Her Airstream Radar was up and running that day. Actually it was fairly easy to spot because the shine was reflecting sunlight. As soon as we were close enough to get a good look we both knew!

We got out of the car and the first thing I did was start taking pictures. Our avatar is the first picture I took. We took over 100 pictures. I have only put a few on the web for now because there is so much to go through!

Anyway, we went inside and out of the trailer looking not to disqualify the sale, but to look at the things we were going to repair. We removed the tires and loaded them into the car. They were all flat. The guy selling it was a little embarrassed that it was in “bad shape”. He pulled out a generator and started vacuuming the inside. He couldn’t see the gleam in our eyes. I told him not to worry and put away the vacuum. We would take it as is.

I wrote on the web site that it is hard not to personify an Airstream and it is true. Each one is like this little creature that you want to just take in and take care of like a lost puppy who becomes your best friend. People who won non-Airstream trailers don’t understand that. In fact I am shocked at the connection of vintage Airstreams with trailer park junk! We have even been told that we wouldn’t be allowed in some parks with an Airstream because of it’s age. That to me makes no sense. I think a beat up Airstream is better looking than the white behemoths we see on the road today.

Our plans are to refurbish her and to enjoy her.

I am not in any of the pictures because I took most of them. However, the back of Kimber‘s lovely head can be seen and she is the one in the plaid jacket inside the trailer.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 03-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Welcome Buttercup,

We must have Buttercup's Older sister. We have a 1976 Overlander. We should have before and after photos by early May.

Abe
Hensley Hitch
Old 03-14-2005, 02:54 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
Spoken like a true sufferer of Aluminitis.....

Congratulations on your new Airstream! And welcome to the forums!

The raidar thing is amazing; everyone in your family will end up having it in short order, trust me. ( My sister who lives 3500 miles from me and will never own one, had aquired the radar, sees them from miles away too!)

Barb
Old 03-14-2005, 03:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi Buttercup, welcome to the forum. You can get a wealth of information here.

We found our Argosy in a field in Naples, and didn't even try to negotiate the 700.00 price tag. Borrowed a very big truck and dragged old rivets home.
I hope you have as much fun as we did "remodeling" ours.

And if you change your mind about harvest gold, I have some I can send, also.
Best wishes and good luck.
Marie
Old 03-14-2005, 05:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Harvest Gold!!!

I do appreciate the offers for harvest gold stuff but I am sure it will not fit into our design schemes. Besides, Harvest gold is definitely not one of my favorite colors. In fact - the last time I remember seeing it was after a bad night of drinking!!

Speaking of Aluminitis, Once the guy I work with and I agreed to do the deal on Buttercup, 2 other co worker actually tried to “outbid” me on the price. They said “Oh, I didn’t know you had an Airstream for sale!. How much do you want?”

“Sorry but I already sold it to Tim.”

“Well what did he offer?? I’ll give you more.”

At least he didn’t go for that. But it was funny that one of the guys who tried to scoop me on the Airstream found a ’71 25 foot Airstream in Lovelock, Nevada of all places for $1500 and he bought it.