RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Well, I think the good thing is that it seems to work pretty well and it was really, really cheap.

So, should I not worry about drilling in new holes wherever I want (with no effort to line up new ones with the old ones)? I'm inclined that way since I really don't like the crooked holes there now.

I'm a little limited on the T3 (since I only planned to replace this panel), but I have loads of belly pan material. I don't know what possessed me, but I got a 12' roll of the stuff. It's a little scary to think about opening it (spriong!)--Rick and I definitely see that as a team effort. Still, until we reenact your toidy construction campaign, I think it will stay rolled up.

BTW--My neighbors (who are from Tibet) have an itinerant monk staying with them to construct a home altar. It's traditional craft work that has nothing to do with Airstreams, but I'll try to take photos and put them on the blog. I know you'd really dig the workmanship (as may others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
I made the Harbor Freight mistake... I regret I bought them.... I find if the nibbler is well lubricated (and myself too) I can cut a straighter line than without lubrication. The old holes will be no problem , for they are 1/8 now (copper colored cleco) and the olympics will be 5/32 (black cleco) so there is some material to drill.

Bending the aluminum is easy... if you mess up try again. That aluminum grows on bauxite trees, get in there and don't be afraid.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
You feeling is right, try to make it as ascetically pleasing to the eye as possible. Otherwise it will alway be the first thing to draw your attention.

Do post pics, sounds like a cool project!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Talking The front floor is in!

There are still lots of screws and bolts to go in, but our front end floor is finally in! We're both pretty zonked from the effort--and since I have been fighting a low grade bug the past few days, I'm off to catch myself some zzzzzzzzzs now! Thanks to all the encouragement!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
There are still lots of screws and bolts to go in, but our front end floor is finally in!
Looks great! ...you must be good with puzzles.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Awesome blog

Mary, I just perused your wonderful blog. You and Rick are an inspiration, and especially you for making it clear that a woman can also tackle a major Airstream restoration head-on. It gives me hope for my own future. Congratulations on getting your floor in. I'm looking forward to meeting you two at the CBR.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
There are still lots of screws and bolts to go in, but our front end floor is finally in! We're both pretty zonked from the effort--and since I have been fighting a low grade bug the past few days, I'm off to catch myself some zzzzzzzzzs now! Thanks to all the encouragement!
Looking real good! Good idea on the self-tapping screws.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Well, that low level fever put me flat out for a full week! As it turned out, I was having a vaccine reaction to a tetanus booster. No pain, but no strength...erghh...so much lost time...

So, we got back into action this weekend. I finished up that side panel and I'm really proud of the results! Granted, I still have to shave down the rivets (to be honest, I really don't have the hang of that shaving thingie), but it's neatly set, it looks good...and (wahooo!!!!) it doesn't leak!

So, I turned back to one of my least favorite, but necessary tasks: insulation. Yuck. Yuck. Ick. Rick finalized wiring and we called it a weekend.

Yuki--your avatar got scary! I hope your latest acquisition isn't giving you Godzilla eyes! Sugarfoot--I don't feel worthy of your support...this really has been a joint effort for both of us, though I am growing in confidence (I barely paused before drilling holes right into the skin yesterday!!!). There is little you can do that you can't fix on these older units...which makes them even more fun to play with! So, let's get playing when you get down here !
Old 04-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Yuki--your avatar got scary! I hope your latest acquisition isn't giving you Godzilla eyes! !
After spending two straight weekends working inside a smelly, mouse infested trailer, my eyes were red! Anyhow, what are you using for insulation? Is it just regular R-11 pink fiberglass rolls or is it something special?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
. . . . I barely paused before drilling holes right into the skin yesterday. . .
You have more guts than I, sister! I hesitate when drilling rivets out of holes that are already there. Nice job on that panel, BTW.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Whooo Hooo! It took an extra day than planned, but we got our trailer on the road! The effort kept me away from the Forum, but it was well worth it.

This was one of the best Cherry Blossom Rallies ever, made sweeter for me by meeting ByamCaravanner and Sugarfoot. It was so funny--Sugarfoot and I hung out together at the open house and didn't even know who each other were until the next day!!! Rick and I also met '62 Overlander's (aka, Frank's) wife--and we can't wait to get together with them again!

I have a posting up about getting ready here and a slideshow of the pics I took (the one day we were there!) here. I'll post a full account of the event later...

Oh, btw--Yukiona--you asked about what we used for insulation. I'm sorry, I didn't see the question until today! I taped Reflectix insulation (the mylar bubble stuff) against the outer aluminum shell, sealing it well with aluminum tape (available at Lowes but not Home Depot), then filled in the gap with Certainteed HandiFill fiberglass batting (they sell it in very small bags at Home Depot--not Lowes--but it's just the right thickness). It worked. We endured a big windstorm Saturday night and while it rocked the trailer, it failed to generate any drafts in the front of the trailer.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Yes, it was a pleasure to meet you, Mary. I see from your blog you've had a great time in New Orleans. A much deserved vacation for you and Rick. Hope to see you on the road again later this year.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I'm back at work on the trailer, but taking on tamer efforts as I wait for supplies: curtains. I made most curtains, but didn't make the smallest set before Cherry Blossom in 2005. That project fell to the wayside as structural concerns predominated. Now, as I have time to work, but lack critical elements for major projects, I figured it was a good time to tie up that loose end.

I've learned I probably overengineered my curtain project, but since I only have one small set left, I'm committed. More details on my blog.

By the way, if you haven't checked out my blog yet, please do visit! I spent a lot of time last week redesigning it and relaunching it. I think it's more user friendly, especially for finding specific references to project posts (plus it looks better). However, I haven't received any feedback, so I don't know if I'm all wet on that!

Mary
Old 05-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
However, I haven't received any feedback, so I don't know if I'm all wet on that!
Mary,

The new site looks great... thanks for the new post. I tried to post a comment but it would not "take"

I'm happy to see you're moving forward. It keeps me motivated to do the same.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
There is so much stuff I do not know where to comment. I am use to the blog format.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Hi there, Mr. Byam Caravanner/Steve! Thanks for the heads up on the comment bug...I think I figured it out and fixed the problem.

Here's an overly techie explanation: The problem stemmed from my installing a plug-in to block automated spam. This program promised to use some kind of predictive algorithm (based on your data entry speed) to distinguish human from computer--it was supposed to work as an alternative to CAPTCHA--those annoying screens with scrambled letters. Clearly, it didn't succeed in acertaining that you are human!

Anyhow, I disabled the plug-in earlier this afternoon and someone since left a comment--so I think the comments function is working now.

Frank--Hi there, dude! Believe it or not, the website is still a blog (done with Wordpress)! There isn't even much new content (only the two newest entries). I suppose I may write too much, though!

On a personal side, I was surprised to hear that you took on polishing when we were down in NOLA! I was reading about it on my cell phone, since I didn't have computer access most of the time down there. You are simply amazing! Plus Anna looks impressive!

Well, I'd better get back to curtain making. Since that commenter asked for directions, I'll photograph it as I go. Did I write that I find sewing interior furnishings is really tedious??? Egads, it really is! Well, I better get cracking...I also have a cushion to cover (one that doesn't show on the gaucho unless it's opened up). Hopefully those clecos will arrive really soon!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Nice site! Lots of good information, easy to navigate, and nicely designed with cool colors!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Well, this is kind of like a repeating story, but this time, we're really finishing it up! Last year we got a new air conditioner and axles added on and started saving. This winter, we lucked out--landed a slot in Frank's Trailer works and getting everything else done.

At a certain point, we realized that DIY was taking forever! Now we are on the fast track to really getting everything done exactly the way we want.

Monday we headed up to Frank's work yard and garage in downtown Baltimore (an hour from our home in good traffic). Frank had just got started and we worked out a plan for the things we wanted done.

I'm keeping up my old blog again (Tales of the Toaster: Vintage Airstreaming!), so check out my latest entries. Pretty soon we'll have it all done--then I get to write about the best part of having a vintage trailer--traveling!