Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Petaluma , California
Replace the Fridge and/or Range?

I have a '72 TW I recently acquired. I'm updating appliances (after replacing the old NT22 furnace, of course) and was wondering if anyone had recommendations on equipment for the original locations. The range is the Magic Chef and it looks like a 22" should fit in without too much effort. The refrigerator is the original Dometic and it looks to be 39" tall by 22.5" wide.

Any suggestions or shared experience would be much appreciated!

Aron
AronS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
New or Used

I also own a 72 TW. Like you I replaced the furnace. Lately I am replacing lights and plumbing-pump through water heater-(neon, LED & pex).

I would just get any range that fits and that you like unless you are doing a restoration, in which case you may be hunting a bit to find one in good shape. Ther are plenty of them out there.

I have generally found that renovating has worked out better than restoring. Getting back on subject,...try a local RV dealer and see if they have something from a wreck or demo that has a good price. If worse comes to worse...buy new. The nice thing about new is you can get a few more choices. You can also customize and put a burner top & a micro wave in. something that woule require a bit of re-wiring but still it is something not available in the original. I have thought about doing that but it would be down the road a bit. Any, try your local RV dealers, a friend of mine redid an old SOB motor home with salvage applicances. My replacement furnace was just a used NT20s that I modified and built a carriage for. It uses less juice per hour of running (LP & DC).

Good luck finding your range, by the way I have also seen some on ebay every now & then.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
I forgot to mention something important.

Your fridge!...It may well work. Mine just needed some mechanical cleaning, it worked on 120 but not on LP. It works now but I still have to reclean it as I could have done a better job.

Clean the fridge (use the search feature). There is information on how to do that procedure. Unless the thing is corroded or something, it may be worthwhile to repair it. Make sure the fridge is level when you turn it on. Don't use the 12 volt part (unless your on the road with a running engine)--it will suck up the DC amps!

What I am getting at may also apply to your range. Make sure it really is junk before you toss it. Sometimes a bit of paint & polish + a part or two can keep something in service for another decade or more.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote