Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #1

1971 25' Tradewind
Amarillo , Texas
Newby looking to buy a Tradewind

Hey every one. I'm Dustin. My wife and I live in the Texas panhandle with our three daughters. We are looking to get an airstream to renovate and travel with. We're not really looking to gut one one but more repair, replace and make our own out of one. I work in the oil field, I'm mechanically savvy, I build old cars in my free time and do most of the repair and maintenance on our house. So plumbing electrical and mechanical don't scare me at all.

We are looking at this 71 trade wind that has seen better days for sure. The seller is asking $5500. I'm wondering if this is a fair price for condition and what I should look for upon my second viewing. I've been reading the forums for a couple days now so I'm aware of things such as the rear sag due to frame rust or breakage.

Our plans for this trailer would be to pull all the cabinets and bed frames. Replace the missing window, paint and refinish wood surfaces and replac the table by the kitchen window. Check and fix any plumbing issues and wiring. Pack wheel bearings and check the torsion axles. I'm sure quite a few more things will come up as we progress.

Here is the CL AD
https://amarillo.craigslist.org/rvs/4854016872.html

And some pics I took

Galley window surround is shot

New wood floors

They took the fridge out
The bed is just a full size mattress on the original frame. It will be coming out.

All the lights work inside and out. Water pump works. Unsure about hot water heater. Propane system has been disconected. Most of the tambor (sp?) is shot. I'm worried about the water getting in that window. It's facing north right now (all our weather is out of the north) and only has a trash bag for protection and I'm sure water has made it way to the floor. I'm not scared of the work just want to make sure I don't pay to much.

Thanks for looking and any input.
Dustin
Dustinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #2

1973 25' Tradewind
Eaton Rapids , Michigan
We paid $4000 for a 73 with no body damage or broken windows. We are converting to a rear bed room . Body off redo . Best luck in your search. Michael
woodward53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Look for a '74 and up... They added gray water tanks in 74. Also the Vista View windows are easier to repair in the 74 models (look for a clip holding them in from the inside. I wrote a repair thread on them if you want it)

I bought my 74 with the rear eight feet of floor missing, but none of the external damage you have, and all the windows were in place, all the interior (except the rear bedroom) was in place. I had to replace the water heater as well as all the plumbing, front and rear eight feet of floor... It's all documented in my Big Bertha thread. Anyways, we paid 2000 for ours, and I have right at 7500 in her right now, fully functional but with plenty of little things to work on...

Good luck in your search. Plan on new axles for anything from the seventies. It's not a "have to" but it sure will smooth out the ride.

-Red, been there...
Old 01-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hi Dustin,

For $5,500 you can do much better than this unit IMO. For that price I would expect a straight body and working appliances.

Good luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Couple of things. As someone else mentioned, no need to inspect the axles, you will just need to replace them. They run about $1500 for the pair. You mentioned refinishing the cabinets - I believe those look like the faux wood they started using in the 70's. I have (had) it in my 1973. I would be concerned with the new wood floor. No way to tell what evils lurk underneath. There are usually soft spots by the door, under leaking windows and at the toilet/bathroom. Totally normal to have. Some can be an easy patch, some not so much.

But the body panel is a killer for me. Unless you want to live with it, replacing it will be a job. It has probably affected the adjoining window. The fridge is missing, as is the vent assembly - expensive replacement. I think for that price you would get something in a bit better shape all the way around - something that has not been remuddled as much as this one.

Also, something to consider. You mentioned you, your wife and three kids. You might consider an Overlander. They are only three feet longer, but those three feet can be crucial if you are using this for a family of five. The weight is similar.
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Henderson , Nevada
My 2 cents is that this one looks to be tinkered with WAY TO MUCH. That usually leads to a lot more hidden problems. That said 4,000 would be a fair price if you plan on re doing the inside anyways.
Rocker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
You're looking at a $3000.00 trailer. Body damage alone will cost you $1000 or more to repair. In every 70's trailer you will need Axles, Colin Hyde can find these for you. There will be rear end separation - trust me, I know, I am about 3/4 of the way through on my 72. Also, that isnt technically "wood" on your Tambor, it is a contact paper that looks like wood. You cant paint it, you're choices will be live with it or replace the walls. Lets talk floor rot - this trailer has had the floor replaced, but if you ask I'll be he did nothing to the subfloor. Take an ice pick , go inside and reach far back in the cabinets - poke around right where the floor meets the wall. You probably will find soft spots. If you go around the rear and open the access panel, poke around - you WILL find soft spots. That means floor repair - which takes a lot of effort and time. I'd pass on this one. Good luck, keep reading. This message reads like I hate these things on the contrary, I love em. Not many white Boxes still on the road after 45 years. Peace.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
As others have said, the price is too high for what we see in the photos.

No refrigerator alone is a $1200 item, assuming you want a propane refrigerator.

The metal damage is bad, and very costly to repair.

As mentioned in another post, no gray water holding tank in a '71

New floor coverings do not equal new floors. Very common to have rot under the covering, whatever it is. This is not a cosmetic item, the wood floor is structural in an Airstream.

I would not pay $2 K for it, personally. I can be out of touch with prices of used units, but I see $5k to 8k of parts alone to bring this one back to life on top of whatever you pay for it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #9

1971 25' Tradewind
Amarillo , Texas
Great info guys thank you. I will be going to look again sometime this week. In the mean time I'll continue the hunt.

Thanks again for the great replys.

Oh and most of the time it will be just the 4 of us. The college kid is premed and way to busy for us. Ha ha.
Dustinj is offline   Reply With Quote