Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 AM   #1

warrington , cheshire
New member from UK, 1974 Tradewind

Hi all,

Thanks for the add to your forum.

I am located in the UK and have found a mint (apparently) 1974 Tradewind for a good price. Before I commit to buying it is there anything I should beware of when inspecting it? Any known common faults with this model? Any tips when viewing the Tradewind?

What are your thoughts on this model and date of Airstream?

Thanks in advance,

Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	290924   Click image for larger version

Name:	j.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	536.7 KB
ID:	290925  

Marc Graneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Marc,

Welcome to the forums. We've worked on only '60's models, but we know many folks with '70's trailers and they love them. I think the Tradewind is a nice size, small enough to get around on some of your roads, beyond the M-1. We have the model smaller and the one larger. I'm sure you'll get a number of recommendations from others, but, if it were me, you might want to:

Take a good look at the frame anywhere it is exposed. Your looking for significant corrosion or wastage. Surface rust is not a major concern.

Look at the axles, if possible, jack up one or each side and see if the axle has travel (movement) downward of a couple of inches. If it doesn't move, you'll be replacing axles.

Check the floor for soft spots, especially near the door, front corners and in the rear near the bath. Soft floors mean leakage has been occurring and rotting the floor. Replacing some sections is not unheard of, but if it is extensive, that could dictate a full shell off project. It can also suggest possible frame damage.

Ask to run all appliances. If there are any excuses not to, consider every appliance you can't verify to need replaced and consider that in your offer.

Look over the exterior, minor dents and scratches are normal. Major dents, especially at a riveted seam are more of a concern. Windows should be intact with glass and operate.

Check the wheels and tires and ask about maintenance. When were the brakes changed? When were the bearings repacked? When was it last used? Check the running lights and brakes.

I also think there is a thread here on the forums somewhere on what to look for when purchasing.

Good luck,
Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #3

warrington , cheshire
Excellent, thanks
Marc Graneek is offline   Reply With Quote