Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Summerfield , North Carolina
Mysterious wires - anyone know about this?

I have a 1974 Trade Wind that I'm refurbishing the interior and I found four16 gauge cut wires (red, brown, green, black) that ran outside of the refrigerator vent. I traced the other end to the ceiling right up against the AC unit (after removing the interior AC control panel). This end of the wires had terminal connectors but they were not attached to anything, nor could I find any component that they could be attached to. I thought maybe they were some kind of external thermostat control that was once located in the galley near the refrigerator cabinet??? (The AS didn't have an external AC thermostat anywhere - so I don't know what they are.) I also checked my service manual but could not identify them either. I'd sure like to figure this out so that I can get rid of them if they aren't necessary. Anyone out there know what the heck these four wires could be?
todanielm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
My friend's 75 trade wind does have a thermostat in the location you are describing. I assume AS prewired all the trailers the same and just didn't connect the wires for options that were not ordered. *shrug*

-thomas
tschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Those are wires from the Armstrong a/c unit to your remote thermostat. If you no longer have the OEM a/c, you can lose the wires.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Thanks for the info. Terry - I kinda suspected something like that but wanted to make sure.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Thanks Thomas I appreciate that information.